• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#16 keziahthomas

keziahthomas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:02 PM

There are a few of those woodpeckers in the woods of south norwood lakes, I hear one most mornings pecking away. They have lovely red botooms!
One of them snacks on my mums bird feeder lots, they like the dead trees in the woods.

#17 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:41 PM

I've seen one of the black and white ones with the red cap in my garden in Harold Road. Don't know here it lives though :ph34r:

#18 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 02:58 PM

The fat wood pigeons hang around below so when the tits peck away they catch the droppings!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, I think that's why we keep getting the pigeons. I will have to tell those pesky tits to learn to eat properly and stop dropping their food on the floor :rolleyes: .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#19 ncatteau

ncatteau

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 04:10 PM

The most common woodpecker on Bealieu Heights is the green variety- they are most often seen on the ground pecking for ants and grubs. I have occasionally seen the black & white type as well.

#20 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:24 PM

we get the spotted one here on dulwich wood ave he eats nuts from our feeder (one of those squirrel poroof ones) every now and then-they are fairly common in these parts nb sign for dulwich upper wood! The green ones are frequent visitors and hop around eating ants from the lawn. this is a great area for birds and the dulwich upper wood newsletter list all the species and also the dulwich society newsletter has a wildlife section.

#21 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:45 AM

We have a couple of lovely little goldfinches that are fond of a huge tree outside our window - had no idea what they were so spent a while trawling the internet - they are so brightly coloured - almost tropical looking. And they do make a very sweet twittering song that I dont mind even though it wakes me up far too early each morning. In the same tree are a couple of giant nesting crows!

#22 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 01:59 PM

Peggysue - whereabouts are you? And what tree is it that the goldfinches like?
We'd love to have some goldfinches in the garden - lucky you!

#23 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 02:16 PM

Just off Westow hill- we dont have a garden though the tree is growing in a car park! I think it is a horse chestnut, its absolutely massive - it is larger than our third floor flat!

#24 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 03:18 PM

I saw a green woodpecker in my garden a few weeks ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The green woodpecker you have seen may have been a former Dulwich resident...

In the Dulwich Society newsletter article "Feathers ruffled over tree felling" by David Nicholson Lord it says "the (tree) felling took place without warning, several of the trees were still partly alive and at least one tree was thought to contain the nest site of green woodpeckers."

European.vote - EU Referendum

#25 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:27 PM

rosehip put out sunflower hearts, the pre-shelled ones, and they will come. We have them everyday they are lovely to see and quite feisty and unintimidated by the larger greenfinches.

#26 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:38 PM

Komodo
Thanks for the tip - but what about the squirrels? Don't they get there first?
Not up to cutting and pasting my previous post on another thread , but in our garden the squirrels are SO cheeky that they even pinch the lemons from my poor little lemon tree (which is very galling as the lemons take ages to grow, and the squirrels clearly don't know what they are nicking as I find the lemons discarded around the garden). But goldfinches and greenfinches would be very welcome visitors...

(Realised after posting that you probably meant putting sunflower seeds in the squirrel-proof bird feeder. Will give it a go.)

Edited by Rosehip, 15 April 2005 - 08:06 AM.

#27 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 08:56 AM

Ooh, hello! I haven't been here for a while so it's nice to see that you're talking about my current favourite obsession. I'm writing a feature about birds at the moment! Since I'm at home all day I've become a right twitcher. We get:

a couple of greater spotted woodpeckers (one young one adult),
a pair of nuthatches
Greenfinches (they love sunflower seeds)
Goldcrests (smallest birds in the UK)
Wrens (lovely singing - easier to hear than spot. The male has built a nest in my garden, but it doesn't look like they're using it.
Long tailed tits - loads of them
blue tits
coal tits
great tits
chaffinches
collared dove
a pair of nesting blackbirds
pair of robins
jays, magpies etc etc - all of which upset the male blackbird no end
I've also seen a house martin flying overhead - back from africa for the spring.

Basically, this area is crammed with birdlife - who'd have thought woodpeckers in your garden was such a common thing?! That link to Norwood birds James gave is great - I've been using it loads. This is another good site:
Garden Birds you can listen to all their songs on MP3. I'm becoming a right bird spotting geek.
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#28 mack

mack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:08 PM

We get the a couple of green parrots, nuthatches and woodpeckers in the garden from time to time. How do I attract Long Tail Tits into the garden?

We also get foxes wrestling in the front garden most nights. They have recently taken to digging up newly installed plants which is driving my girlfriend mad.

#29 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 April 2005 - 04:39 PM

We also get foxes wrestling in the front garden most nights.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, the foxes, bless 'em. Seems like it was only yesterday I was asking people to 'Show me a skinny fox in Norwood'. Back in 2001 we uncovered a secret plot hatched by Chiswick residents to smuggle them over the border.

Chiswickw4.com said at the time that these animals have evolved to grow dependent on a combination of discarded plastic cups containing skinny cappuccinos and estate agents leaflets offering free valuations. Such a high fibre diet would not be available to them in Norwood

Maybe their diet has improved recently??

European.vote - EU Referendum

#30 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:21 AM

How to get long tailed tits in your garden? I'm not sure really - we just stuck up some bird seed on hangers (not the net ones though as they can damage the birds' feet) and they arrived in chattering droves. But we still haven't had a single sparrow which is just shocking! I'm hoping it's more because they haven't found us yet than because there aren't enough in the area - their numbers are in serious decline in London.

If you want greenfinches you need to stick up sunflower seeds - they absolutely love it. All the birds (especially the woodpeckers and starlings) love the suet feeders. The tits love seeds and nuts. The nuthatches, woodpeckers, and most the others love nuts (as do the bleeding squirrels), but you have to make sure the nuts are in mesh feeders as some birds take whole ones to feed to their young, which can choke them. Ground feeding birds like robins and blackbirds love pretty much anything so long as it's on the ground or (for the robins) on a table. Apparently wrens like cheese from the ground but when we put some down the cats came along and snaffled it all!

These birds are costing us a fortune!
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!