• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#316 belli

belli

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:07 PM

My visitors are always impressed by the parakeets.
Four babies in my robin's nest now! The parents are flying in and out non-stop with worms and look shattered.

#317 belli

belli

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:52 AM

The robins have flown the nest. Just hope they didn't get eaten by cats!

#318 belli

belli

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

Just noticed the coal tit nest has been got at. Feathers everywhere :(

#319 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:34 PM

Just noticed the coal tit nest has been got at. Feathers everywhere :(

It's devasting to see but nature I suppose. :(

Woodpecker???

My visitors are always impressed by the parakeets.
Four babies in my robin's nest now! The parents are flying in and out non-stop with worms and look shattered.

Wow! Good to hear they have flown the nest.

#320 belli

belli

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

Most likely a woodpecker; the nest was a lot more obvious than the Robins' one.

#321 captainmcdan

captainmcdan

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:35 AM

We have robins in the ivy but the fancy birdbox has, of course, been utterly ignored.

#322 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

I had a bird box at my previous house. It remained vacant for about two years, then we got a family of blue tits in it. It was lovely watching them fledge. So maybe one just has to wait.
I'd like to put one up on our current house but don't know where as we have a balcony, which effectively means there isn't really anywhere on the bakc of the house that's out of human (or cat) reaching distance.
Would it work round the front, I wonder?
Rachel
My link

#323 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

Just spotted a green woodpecker, the first I've seen round about here for several years. It was busy pecking at grubs* in a verge off Auckland Road. Lovely sight!

http://www.rspb.org....cker/index.aspx

Must be all the drought that we've been having.

* presumably ants...

Edited by andreas, 28 April 2012 - 03:39 PM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#324 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:56 AM

Nice spot AWS. How about this for being caught in the act:

Posted Image

#325 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 03:00 PM

Time for my annual post recording my first recording for a Swift. Recorded three on Friday 27th April, which is a couple of weeks later than usual.
Swifts return of swifts is for me the unofficial start of the summer, though it doesn't seem like summer today

#326 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:38 AM

There are four baby starlings on my feeder being watched over by two adults. ok starlings are not the most exciting birds but I am rather fond of them. There are a lot of fledglings of various species around at the moment.

The swifts/swallows - not sure which are nesting in next door's roof too.

And finally, they sell really cheap bird food in the poundstretcher shop in CP. Don't know if it's good quality..

Edited by RachelF, 15 May 2012 - 05:38 AM.

Rachel
My link

#327 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

Starlings are, however, destructive little gits, they made a hole through the soffit plate under the eaves of our roof last year which tacked an extra several hundred quid's worth of scaffolding when we did the building's 7-yearly facelift; our neighbour has noticed that they're doing the same up under his eaves. They are splendid birds though, very intelligent and inquisitive, and great mimics too; some of the ones round our way do seagull and parrot noises.

Meanwhile, we have wrens and dunnocks nesting in the hedge at the end of the garden, house sparrows up under our eaves, we're knee deep in black birds and three different kind of tit, and I've even spotted a jay's nest. The dawn chorus this morning, even for a mizzy morning weatherwise, was superb.

Oh and I noticed some goldfinches just down the road yesterday. No sign of the greenfinches though.

Edited by nikdevlin, 15 May 2012 - 06:58 AM.

I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#328 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

I've just moved into Maberley Road and am loving the dawn chorus, especially the tawny owl! It is impossible to sleep through during this hot weather. I am opposite the allotments so I am having a brilliant time. Will look out for woodpeckers. Was in Streatham before and the birdlife there was good. Had a resident woodpecker there (Oakdale Rd) and greenfinches.

#329 Senor Buckethead

Senor Buckethead

I'm a dedicated follower of passion

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

Perambulating the lakes in CP park yesterday. Parakeets screeching. Actually quite like it - they get a lot of bad press. The ash trees by the lakes provide perfect cover for them as I could hear them but not see. Suspect the pointy leaves provides good camouflage - a backdrop against their long pointy tails. Could be my eyesight though as a junior Buckethead had no problem spotting them.
Tadpole - my favourite word

#330 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:51 AM

Missed photo opportunity this morning of a parakeet, baby starlings and a woodpecker (second day running) on the bird feeder. My two cats looked on evily but ineffectually through the window.
Not sure what sort of woodpecker it was. I think it was a Lesser Spotted as most of the top of its head was red.
Rachel
My link