• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#331 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

This morning i saw a pair of Magpies and a pair of Jays in my garden........now i like Magpies and i like Jays ...but which one is better ? There's only one way to find out , FIGHT !

Attached Files

#332 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:13 AM

They are both quite 'nasty' birds. (Yes I know, I am being anthropomorphic!) I once saw a magpie trying to peck a sparrow to death. About 15 sparrows were dive bombing it, seemedly to try and stop it.
Rachel
My link

#333 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

They may be the thugs of the bird world, but I really like the corvids; they're intelligent, inquisitive, inventive and devastatingly handsome. Yes, I've watched them do some pretty unpleasant things to the tinier birds (including two carrion crows pulling a starling to bits), but I can't help it, they're my favourite birds.

Edited by nikdevlin, 12 June 2012 - 09:50 AM.

I make mixes, some of which are quite good. My wife and I cook things too.

#334 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:09 PM

I had to rescue a tiny blue tit fledgling yesterday morning; it was all tangled up in the bindweed and was flapping and fluttering and getting more and more stuck. I put my fingers under it, and gently raised my hand, it clung on to the tops of my fingers really tightly until I had it out, then it sat long enough for me to get my mobile out and take a picture! Then it flew off over the fence and away. Beautiful!

Posted Image

#335 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Adorable :)

#336 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 12:35 PM

It even took some time out to go 'peep peep' when it was sitting on my hand and I was trying to get my mobile out...

#337 VKJ

VKJ

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Fantastic picture - even better that you saved the little bird.

#338 Redbunny23

Redbunny23

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 05:27 PM

A pair of song thrushes hoping around the garden smashing up our snails at the moment. We have a mistle thrush i've seen about too. And yesterday an amazing dragonfly - not birdlife but so what. It was beautiful.

#339 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 09:36 PM

Bunny - we have seen the song thrushes and the mistle thrush too - they have been bathing in our bird bath. Can't believe you saw the Dragon Fly - AWS called me up to the window to look at it either yesterday or Saturday - indeed beautiful. Amazing how far they travel.

#340 belo

belo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

I had to rescue a tiny blue tit fledgling yesterday morning; it was all tangled up in the bindweed and was flapping and fluttering and getting more and more stuck. I put my fingers under it, and gently raised my hand, it clung on to the tops of my fingers really tightly until I had it out, then it sat long enough for me to get my mobile out and take a picture! Then it flew off over the fence and away. Beautiful!

Posted Image

VN Needs a 'like' button! What a great photo, and a good story.

#341 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

That photo still gives me a thrill, and my fingers still feel its little claws holding on tightly.

Edited by nikdevlin, 31 August 2012 - 12:13 PM.

#342 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

More bird rescuing! I’m walking down Maberley Rd this morning on the way to the station, and I see this, sitting on the pavement, looking pretty bedraggled:-

Posted Image

It’s a Tawny Owl, as far as I can tell, and it doesn’t seem happy. I stop and take the photo, then I walk slowly up to it, it’s eyes are closed, but they pop open, and it takes fright and turns and tries to fly, but it crashes into the fence and falls over, dazed. I don’t want to leave it there, so, handing my umbrella over to a woman who’s walked up behind me, I carefully pick it up, doing the ‘RSPB grip’ to make sure its wings don’t get injured. It doesn’t seem to be hurt, just damp, so I pop it over the fence, where it flies off into the undergrowth. I do hope it’s OK, it’s such a beautiful creature.

#343 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

You are truly the Bird Whisperer, Nik. Good on ya :)

#344 Redbunny23

Redbunny23

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

Poor thing! Maybe it had been hit by a car or flown into a window or something. Hope it's OK.

#345 nikdevlin

nikdevlin

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:13 PM

It actually made me feel quite emotional. Such a beautiful animal, if a little soggy. I've heard them around our way fairly regularly, but never ever seen one, especially not up close and personal like this.

And it's funny you should say that GillW, but I do seem to have an affinity with birds, I've had many a bird sit on me in various countries around the world. My Dad is the same, and regularly has birds, especially the corvids (his, and my, favourites), take a close interest in him. One of my earliest memories is of a jackdaw that hung out in our garden for several years, sitting on my Dad's hand and cackling at him. It was nicknamed Jackie, natch.