Bird Life of Norwood

• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#31 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:16 PM

I ran out of bird seed recently and the last time I bought it, B&Q had a massive big bag at a very reasonable price. Tried to buy some last week and I was told it was a seasonal product! Presumably they think birds don't get hungry in the summer. B) I can get it in large packs from a garden centre near my daughter's house in Godstone but if anyone has a good local source, let us all know!
aka Pie

#32 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:19 PM

I buy fatballs and sunflower seeds from the pet shop in West Norwood
Rachel
My link

#33 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:13 AM

This is a lovely thread - really fun to read.

Many nights there owls to be heard coming from the wooded areas to the north of Auckland Road - sometimes disconcertingly loud!

Has anyone seen one? And does anyone know what sort of owl they are?

I'm looking forward to the return of the swifts in the first week of May - possibly more exciting than the election...
opposed to taking terrapins.

#34 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:18 AM

Sylvester - The Secret Garden has a range of bird food (seeds, nuts, sunflower seeds, fat balls) all year round, + feeders, nesting boxes etc.

#35 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:29 PM

well pet shops are cheaper than garden centres, but getting back to belle's point about the sparrows they are extinct here for sure, though there are a few down in Penge. They were in Brixton when we lived down there about 10 years ago but became extinct there about 7 years ago. We had a Lone male sparrow when we first moved here 4 years ago. One!!!! and you could tell he was the last sparrow in the area, because he hung around with the great tits and used the feeder with them. It is weird because there are loads of sparrows still in the country in the UK, including down the road in Kent, and in cities like Paris. I blame the magpies myself because they used to systematically search the eaves for them.

There are supposedto be barn owls around but maybe its someone pretending to be an owl?? It was in the papers a few years ago about 2 guys both going into the woods a few miles apart making owl noises and thinking it was the real mckoy answering back, but it was the other guy. Craried on for years until some chance meeting revealed the error of their hooting ways. Could be an urban myth though.

#36 ally

ally

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:52 PM

how funny i read this post the other day
lo and behold this morning i was walking the dog in the little park down fox hill and i hear a drumming sound above me.
took me a while to spot it, but there it was a woodpecker hammering away!

#37 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:22 PM

We've got loads of sparrows in West Norwood. It's not uncommon for me to have about 15 of them in my garden at one time.

Nothing more exotic though. It must help if you live near a park. Used to get all sorts when I lived near a big park and cemetary. I even spotted birds of prey.

Much as I like the Secret Garden, their bird food is very expensive. But if you are buying peanuts, it's probably best not to get them loose or in an unlabelled bag (as in from a petshop) as some peanuts can contain a fungus which can actually kill birds. You need ones that are guaranteed not to contain this.

see

http://www.rspb.org....eanutfeeder.asp
Rachel
My link

#38 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 06:13 PM

there it was a woodpecker hammering away!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What did it look like? Did you see what colour it was?

European.vote - EU Referendum

#39 ally

ally

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:30 AM

it was too high up to see any distinct colour on it, but i certainly did not see any red on it. the body i think was a brownish green.

#40 fozziwig

fozziwig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 08:33 AM

I think I saw him too on the way home from work yesterday!

I'd just come through Crystal Palace on the train on the way to Norwood Junction and I happened to glance up at the trees on the left and there he was on a branch. I'm certainly no bird expert but I'm sure it was a woodpecker, he was quite small and green and I think I may have seen a bit of orangey/red somewhere on him too and he had a long tail and quite a round head... erm, does that sound like a woodpecker?! :unsure:

#41 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 09:06 AM

There are supposedto be barn owls around but maybe its someone pretending to be an owl??

Funny you should say that because when I first heard the owls I was convinced that it was someone having a laugh. The t-wit- a -woo noise is extremely loud but occurs at all times of night and early morning - so I'm convinced it belongs to an owl.

Does anyone know what a barn owl sounds like?

Re the woodpecker - we have a greater spotted which visits our garden quite regularly - I think I got a great photo of it on the nut feeder at the weekend but I'll have to wait until I get the pics developed.

As for the hammering noise - its amazing - sounds like someone doing a spot of DIY - I think it must be the same woodpecker heard in Fox Hill by Ally

Spotted a tree creeper in Grangewood Park about a month ago. Very similar to a woodpecker in the way it inches up the tree trunk.

Have to agree with Andreas that this is a really lovely thread!!!

#42 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 05:59 PM

Charlie that sounds like it could a tawny owl they are supposed to be in the woods around here, but seldom seen or heard there is a twny owl survey this year see the wild life section on the dulwich society web page.

#43 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 11:39 AM

Thanks Komodo.

Don't know why I wrote Barn Owl when I meant Tawny. We've certainly heard them but not a sighting yet. We are thinking of building a hide in the garden for our bird watching activities but would probably need night vision goggles to spot the owls.

I'll check out the Dulwich Society web site.

I am very surprised that no one else has heard the owls?

#44 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:56 PM

Has anyone else seen what was seen in a friend's garden two days ago: a red legged partridge!! I kid you not.

#45 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

I swear I heard an owl last night!

We had to open the windows after a kitchen disaster and heard it about 4 times. It didn't sound like a human imposter... :huh:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter