Perhaps this 'extinct' woodpecker has been hiding here all this time! :lol:
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#47 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 29 April 2005 - 01:02 PM

I thought I heard an Owl the other night. Found this website for identifying bird noises but the speakers for my computer need to be fixed. So wont be able to tell until next week.

Maybe this sight might be usefull for those needing to identify birds and their noises.
http://www.rspb.org....guide/index.asp

#48 peanut

peanut

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:16 AM

heard woodpecker in dulwich woods on Sunday,
and saw a peacock walking down the pavement on the way there!
very surreal

#49 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:12 PM

Yes, there seems to be quite a large population of greater spotted woodpeckers in the Norwoods but has anyone spotted a lesser spotted???

I wonder where the Peacock was off too - at least it was sensible enough to walk on the pavement.

Have been watching a pair of Jays collecting twigs for their nest over the past week which is fascinating.

#50 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:48 AM

This morning we saw something that appeared to be a lesser spotted woodpecker on our peanuts about 8/10 feet from our kitchen window... Bird TV! (Not that the cat took any interest, fortunately :) ) We're in Ryefield Rd, so quite close to Upper Norwood Rec.

Can't be sure about the identification - it had no red cap (?female) but it also had more white on the chest than the pictures we have of a greater spotted woodpecker...

wmp

#51 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 01:58 PM

That would be nice! We've just got the Great Spotted at the moment. Apparently, the lessers are small - about the size of a greenfinch, which is pretty teeny. There's a pic of our regular visitor on my boyfriend's bloghere (he's got some better ones to put up when he gets the chance) and this sitehas some helpful info on how to tell the two apart. Apparently, there's a lot of green woodpeckers in the area as well.

Oh, and I definitely heard the owl the other night. And saw some bats, which was nice.
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#52 Daffy

Daffy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:49 PM

The lessers are small, not much bigger than a sparrow and can be difficult to see in trees as they operate in the high branches, and you're right to think that no red cap indicates a female.

As for the owl/owls, it/they are definately Tawny Owls if what your hearing is a hooooo......hohohohohoooooo or shorter hooo...hooo, its the stereotypical owl sound that you would expect to hear in a cheesy spooky film, which is ironic because the Barn Owls' spine chilling shriek would be far more likely to empty your bowels if you heard it walking through some dark woods.

#53 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 12:18 PM

I've got sound back on my computer and now know the "beast" I was hearing was a tawny owl.

But I wasnt hearing what daffy mentioned

they are definately Tawny Owls if what your hearing is a hooooo......hohohohohoooooo or shorter hooo...hooo, its the stereotypical owl sound that you would expect to hear in a cheesy spooky film

I heard a totally different noise. I found it described on the RSPB website.

The male calls with a hooting ‘hooo-hoo-hooo’, which is far-carrying. Female usually replies with a hoarser hoot. Also a ‘ke-wick' call.

It was the ke-wick I was hearing, in groups of four. This was on thicket rd near the dinosour area of the park.
I found it on end of this sound file for tawny owls, which also contained the more normal hoot-hoo sound.
http://www.rspb.org....owl/gallery.asp

Looking at the pictures of this bird, I'd love to actually see it.

#54 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:36 PM

Just spotted a Jay in my garden for the first time this morning. Pretty, although not very nice birds.

I have been really enjoying watching the birds lately, but saw a horrendous thing yesterday. A crow-type bird attacked another similar, knocked it senseless, then pecked it to death. Within about minutes, all there was left of it were feathers. Yuk!
Rachel
My link

#55 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 12:59 PM

We had a jay in our garden too at the weekend. It was smashing snails up and eating them. Hurray for the snail killer!

#56 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

Wmp

This morning we saw something that appeared to be a lesser spotted woodpecker on our peanuts about 8/10 feet from our kitchen window...

If you see the lesser spotted again you should report it on the BBC website as the RSPB is doing a survey about their decline (or so I heard on a radio a few days ago).
aka Pie

#57 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:57 PM

RSPB is doing a survey on the decline of certain woodland bird & yes the lesser spotted is one of them.

#58 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:35 PM

Having seen the woodpecker gorging each morning on the peanuts, I've come to the conclusion it is a greater spotted (female) woodpecker. Too large to be the lesser (even before eating all those nuts!) There was a sparrow hopping about at the same time, picking up nut crumbs, & it was certainly a lot smaller than the woodpecker. My partner, laid up with a bad back, was watching bird tv last week & saw both the female & male (with his red head) at the nuts... I, too, got excited about the RSPB's survey, but I'm not sure they need to know about our daily visits from Mrs & Mr Woody for their declining birds survey, although it may be worth registering with birdtrack to report the pair...

#59 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:23 AM

I saw a Jay in my garden yesterday for the first time too. Do these birds fly away for the Winter and return to Britain?

#60 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:04 PM

no, the jays hang around all the time. They seem to come and go though - sometimes one sees a lot of them for a week or two, getting used to their raucous cries - then they seem to disappear. So I can understand your thinking they're summer-only birds.

the best summer birds round here are the swifts - they first appeared about the weekend of 8 May and now you should be able to see them swooping above the roofs and trees most evenings (and mornings if you're up bright and early!).
opposed to taking terrapins.