• Please log in to reply
354 replies to this topic

#61 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 06:36 PM

I have not seen any swifts or swallows yet, but we have a pair of collared doves visiting our garden. They just plucked up the courage to eat some seeds off our new bird table but then a big pigeon came along and scared them off! Anyone else got doves, are they rare-ish for London?

#62 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:00 PM

the last dulwich upper wood newsletter from the warden says there is a pair of lesser spotted woodpeckers in there as well as the greater ones that we all see. So maybe there is a chance that we will see a lesser spotted also in our gardens. Lucy collared doves are fairly common but not as common or cheeky as the wood pigeons. Jays are getting more cheeky. we'll probably see less crows as somone poisoned lots in brockwell and norwood parks its in the south london press this week.

#63 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:35 PM

Crows are pretty horrible and vicious birds, I've heard they attack and kill other birds because they compete for food and of are of course usually bigger and stronger than the others. I'm surprised anyone cares enough to poison them though.
aka Pie

#64 Sarah

Sarah

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:45 AM

I have a bird feeder hung on the wall right outside my bedroom window (3rd floor flat). Every morning I have a greater spotted woodpecker having his breakfast, and most evenings he comes back too. He's getting quite tame and no longer flies off when I'm walking around my bedroom. But he does make a *** of a noise, and seems to be coming earlier and earlier to get in first. He is then followed by great tits, blue tits, coal tits, jays, robbins and starlings. It's getting rather busy. Although this could have something to do with the fact they have been getting M&S Luxury Nuts Selection, as I ran out of peanuts!

#65 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:36 PM

Hurrah! Greenfinches have arrived! Have dutifully been putting out sunflower seeds, rather than the mixed seed feed I used previously, and they are now regular visitors (including a mother and two skittish babies).

Thanks for the advice.

Will get some sunflower hearts and work on the goldfinches now...

#66 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

Collared doves are pretty common Lucysmith, and I've seen swifts and swallows this year - and some house martins as well. I also finally saw a parakeet in the park, which was fantastic. But most exciting of all, I finally got a couple of goldfinches in the garden! I've had some trouble with getting things to stick around though. The nuthatches that were visiting regularly have stopped coming and my woodpeckers aren't around so much anymore either. I got a couple of chaffinches visiting but the blue tits kept scaring them off and my long tailed tits have given up on me as well! I'm not doing very well! I'm hoping it's just because they've all got plenty of food in the wild and not that they've found a nicer garden!

I was reading an article in the RSPB mag and it's true that birds come and go throughout the months at different stages, but I should still have the nuthatches and tits. Part of the problem is that we've had to take down a lot of the feeders and put up new ones. Once the squirrels found it they have just taken over - we had 6 in the garden the other day! I've gone from finding them cute to actually detesting them! They're not just greedy, they're destructive, they pull the feeders down and tear them apart, wander off with the fat balls and scare all the birds off. Apparently on Springwatch last night they suggested mixing paprika in with the seeds to deter squirrels so I'll have to give that a go. I'm sure the nuthatches and woodpeckers don't like the squirrel proof feeders.

At least my greenfinches and blue,great and cole tits haven't abandoned me!

If you want to see a pic of my squirrels and a woodpecker, there's a couple here and here.
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#67 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 09:54 AM

I wonder if your goldfinches are the same ones that seem to have abandoned my horse chestnut tree! I must hatch a plot to get them back!!

#68 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:51 AM

I sympathise with Belle. When we tried putting up the little packets of seeds and a fat ball they lasted all of 12 hours before the squirrels ripped them to pieces. I still wonder what managed to eat the plastic holder of the fat ball - gone without trace!

The squirrel proof feeders with a double mesh or a central cage are more expensive - but I would suggest are well worth the extra cost. The squirrels do eventually give up trying to get to those tantalising seeds and nuts. Secret Garden used to stock them.

Squirrels are also very keen gardeners in the autumn - but thankfully are quieter on the ground at this time of the year. Instead they seem to confine their activities to stripping bark off trees. Any chance of an ASBO?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#69 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 12:12 PM

I put my fat balls into a tubular feeder with metal mesh sides and a plastic top and bottom. It's the first feeder I've had that the squirrels don't seem to get into - I think it was pretty cheap from Sainsburys or Morriways. The guy on Springwatch last night also recommended throwing a few peanuts down onto the ground, which saves them from going to the trouble of nicking the birds' dinner.

Edited by Sylvester, 02 June 2005 - 12:14 PM.

aka Pie

#70 flowergirl

flowergirl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:19 AM

Our house overlooks Norwood Cemetery and we get a visit from a Great Spotted Woodpecker every morning and evening on our bird feeder. It also likes pecking at the new apples on our tree.

We also get the usual great tits, blue tits, black birds, crowns, jays etc and on the odd occasion a bird of prey which is not a kestrel but has dark feathers on its back and a pink/red on its breast. This one is a mystery but most of the birds we find all come from and go back to the Cemetery.

:D

#71 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:47 PM

This morning while walking up to Crystal Palace Station through the Park, I heard a noise I didnt recognise, investigated, and found a woopeckers nest/hole. :)
There was a very loud chick pushing its head out of a hole in a tree and making a loud noise.
Seeing lots of Woodpeckers in the area is brilliant but coming across proof they are breeding goes one better. I couldnt believe my luck, if the weather had been bad or I was late for my train I would not have spotted it. I very rarely get a train from Crystal Palace.

The nest/hole is easy to see. When you come out of the station there is an entrance into the Park. It is a small path leading along the edge of some Oak trees which eventually end at the empty Zoo buildings. Just before the woods end there is a small evergrown path that leads into the woods to allow access to the zoo from the rear. Its overgrown now. Most people would know the area as the place you would sit to look at events in the statium for free. But where the path starts there is a couple of trees at the place you would sit to see into the stadium. Just walk about 10 foot along that path and the first oak tree on your left has the woodpecker hole. Its a big oak tree, if you look up the trunk you'll see a round hole which has a dark red/brown edge where a woodpecker has being "pecking" at it. Hopefully you'll here the chicks inside it, or maybe one sticking its head out. I'll guess they'll be leaving very soon, and thats why they were making such a racket.

A few years ago the area was used for grazing the zoo's cattle. Its amazing how quickly wild life have taken over the area now that is is abandoned.

#72 Daffy

Daffy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:01 PM

Flowergirl,

It sounds to me that your mystery bird of prey was possibly a male sparrowhawk.

#73 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:59 AM

We had a lovely thing happen the other morning. We looked out the window and there was a mother Great Spotted feeding a scruffy, fluffy fledgling Great Spotted. He was sitting on the fence of our garden waiting for her to bring him some nuts. Very cute! There are loads of babies around at the moment, including some very cute wrens that were hopping up and down our fence the other day. It's lovely to know we've helped feed them!
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#74 peanut

peanut

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:33 AM

Jamie Theakston on Heart FM this morning was talking about gypsy hill, tulse hill & west norwood discussing our parrot friends..... and the theories of how they 1st started to breed in the wild.....

#75 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:41 AM

our parrot friends..... and the theories of how they 1st started to breed in the wild.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

isn't there supposed to be a Jimi Hendrix connection ?