79 replies to this topic

#31 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:18 AM

Excellent! Has anyone got the number handy? Google has produced nothing except the results of a survey of forty seven hairdressers with asthma. Though important, this will not get my hair cut locally.

Are they really only open at the weekend or do they do any late nights at the end of the week? I thought they did but might have dreamt it.

#32 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:33 AM

I'd like to add my endorsement of fortyseven. I've been going since they opened and love the cuts, the service and friendly, laidback atmosphere. My daughter had her hair cut there too (not by Heather, another stylist whose name she didn't get) and said it's the best cut she's ever had. The fringe is perfect, very hard to get right apparently!

I had the same experience - the perfect fringe cut! But the girl who did it doesn't work there any more and I'm gutted to have lost such a great hairdresser so soon!
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#33 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:53 AM

But it sounds like they have back-up! I really want to try them out.

Sorry to keep on about this, bloke folk of VN - strangely silent in this thread!

Speaking of 36 for a man's haircut, we had clippers for a while, which I quite enjoy wielding after a glass or two of an evening. That said, though, we were halfway through one Saturday morning when there was a powercut and we had to go to a wedding with Mr Spoon only semi-shorn.

#34 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 12:52 PM

There you go. http://www.qype.co.u...294-Forty-Seven
Speaking of clippers, I have some but can't use them on Mr elleme's hair as it seems to pull slightly or doesn't cut properly in the first place. Maybe the blades are not sharp enough or something like that. They seem usable for beard trimming though (not mine - his!)

#35 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 01:05 PM

Thank you. Going to try to get along there asap.

We have no house beard so can't vouch for the clippers on that front. Maybe you need a new set of clippers as it does sound like the blades aren't sharp enough. We got ours in Sefgrove Chemist on Westow Hill - so that was kind of local barbering for Mr Spoon.

My sister has a huge upside-down lampshade-type collar to go round her husband's neck during clipping, like pets have when they're not supposed to chew their stitches, and it's brilliant. No hoovering required after shearing. I can't find one but still thought I'd recommend it.

Since the powercut, however, Mr Spoon has been to a local barber's, though I don't know which one. Can't blame him really as the half-shorn incident was quite a scare.

#36 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:23 AM

Spoon, fortyseven's number is 020 8771 7170. They are indeed only open at the weekend - much to my chagrin, now that I'm a freelancer with local midweek time to spare. But Heather has a busy wig business in the West End to keep up, and also I guess there just isn't the throughput here to make it worth their while.

Re men's barbers, somebody mentioned not being happy with the one opposite Sainsburys. Mr Nanazola regularly gets shorn there and always comes out looking rather tasty in a US Marine kind of way. Not sure if the repertoire extends beyond that though :)

#37 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:47 PM

Maybe Forty Seven would consider opening just in the evening a couple of nights a week, when back from the West End. There seems to be enough demand for that, even if not during the day.

Jay Michaels is chocka these days too. Before I heard about Forty Seven being so good, I was trying to get in there on late opening day but they only had one appointment left and it was at 5pm.

What's happened to Daniel Naya? I think we're running short of hairdressers. Weirdly. And that's just us. At least evening-opening places anyway.

#38 Heather

Heather

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:22 AM

good morning VN; thankyou all for the positive recommendations.

At present we are open Friday 11-7, Saturday 11-7 and Sunday 11-5. We do have plans to gradually increase our opening times as we build a team of excellent staff. I have to spend time in the west end as I have a lot of clients there, many of whom have very severe hair problems ( it's a seven day week job at the moment!). As quoted the phone number is 020 8771 7170 on which you can reach us at any time for appointments, as calls are diverted if the shop is closed.

#39 Miche

Miche

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 09:41 PM

On the subject of hairdressers, can anyone recommend a good hairdresser in the area for a toddler? I have an 18 month old requiring her first cut...

#40 TheLemster

TheLemster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hi there,

My girlfriend has just moved into the area and of course disturbed my lifestyle by moving in with me.... what can I say i was vunerable after 5 pints!! :D

Anyways, she is looking for a good hairdresser - she needs "Highlights, cut and blowdry" allegedly so can anyone make any sort of recomendation? She's fairly young and a little bit of a "trendy" - although that is my opinion - so would need to be a modern cut.

Should have said we live in the CP Triangle.... God bless the EDIT function.

Thanks again,

LEmm

Edited by TheLemster, 28 April 2008 - 11:12 AM.

#41 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

Not sure which bit of Norwood you're in, but I've used John Edwards in West Norwood the past couple of times and they've been really good. I guess they are a bit trendy...!

#42 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:19 AM

Apparently, Willie Smarts is opening soon:

http://www.virtualno...l=willie smarts

#43 Aunty

Aunty

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:08 PM

Hi there,

I've been getting my hair cut at Jay Michaels on Westow Street for ages now. They're great!

Sam usually cuts my hair and I'm always more than pleased with the result. It's finally exactly how I've always wanted it after years of nomadic existence without a regular hairdresser. The other stylists are similarly good - always listen carefully to what I want and are very friendly. Philip, the owner, is a joy too. They are open all week except Mondays and give a discount Tues - Friday.

I'm a bit puzzled as to why they haven't been mentioned on this thread before. Any ideas?

Edited by Aunty, 28 April 2008 - 01:10 PM.

#44 TheLemster

TheLemster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the replies! My gf is now booked in to John Edwards and got a 20% discount to boot.

#45 Aliceg

Aliceg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

From personal experience, I would not recommend Jay Michaels. I am aware of other people in the area who share this view. But, I am also sure that there may well be good hairdressers and bad hairdressers in the one salon!