Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:08 AM

Have any been spotted in the Norwoods?

#2 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:48 AM

Spooky that you should post this topic as we were having this conversation only yesterday.

We have never seen any hedgehogs here near UN Rec, nor did we ever see any in all the 10 years we lived off Gipsy Hill. Maybe the foxes keep them away?

Would be really pleased to know if anyone else has seen them around.

#3 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 11:58 AM

Erinaceus europaeus -

Lived off Gipsy Hill too for 8 years and never spotted one. We now live on the other side of the CP ridge but still no sightings. Strange isn't it.

#4 clementine

clementine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 04:31 PM

I've lived in West Norwood for 8 years and have never seen one here either. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I saw a fox, although I used to see them quite often.

#5 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 06:49 PM

We live in the bit of West Norwood that estate agents like to call 'Streatham borders' and see and hear foxes quite often. But I've never seen a hedgehog here. I've always assumed that the foxes and vast numbers of local cats would scare them away. Or maybe they just don't like urban SE27.

#6 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:33 PM

The summer before last we had a hedgehog in dulwich wood ave, we called him Prickles and the neighbour at the back called him Spike.
We wouldn't have known he was around unless various neighbours mentioned him, as he kept only to the hours of drakness and mostly stayed under cover of plant and shrubs. After a while he took to coming regularly for peanuts at about 8.0pm and put on a good show for us and visitors. He was extremely gormless and timid in manner and how such a vulnerable creature managed to survive foxes cars dogs etc was amazing. I looked at websites and the main prolem apart from the obvious is starvation and getting stuck in plastic netting etc. Also unless you and your neighbours have some gaps in your fences you will never get one. He mysteriously disappeared during the autumn of that year and hasn't been since. I did wonder whether rat poison might have been the cause.
We all live in hopes of him or his friends returning so keep your garden scruffy and listen out for the rustling in the dark.

#7 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 09:45 PM

Read another article today in Garden Answers magazine about encouraging wildlife into the garden. This said that, as well as providing some shelter and hidey-holes for hedgehogs to hide in during the day, one should put out the right food. Bread and milk or cat food (which used to be recommended) are apparently not good for hedgehogs and instead one should buy proper hedgehog food. I'm afraid I can't remember where to get the hedgehog food. For anyone willing to spend about £40, there's also a hedgehog house on the market - a little wooden hutch for them to while away the day before (if we're lucky) they come out to eat the hedgehog food and all the slugs and snails in the garden.

#8 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:28 PM

hoorah our hedgehog is back! so there is one at least n SE19. not sure if its the one who we last saw in autumn 2003, or another one. he's very shy, but has ben oming for the past week for a meal of chopped peanuts (an ok food according to the hedgehog sites) at about 11pm. I know that cat food is also reccomended but that attracts cats quelle suprise and prickles is sensibly scared of cats.

#9 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 09:16 PM

seems odd to be replying to myself but after regular apearances for peanuts in early summer our spikey friend 'Mr P', was absent until tonight. Just now he's back again - only spotted due to other half making nocturnal vists to the shed for a smoke!. The fox was in the garden too, lets hope the fox is too urban to launch an assault on Mr P. Now will worry about fattening the hedgehog up before winter!

#10 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:50 AM

Now will worry about fattening the hedgehog up before winter!

Why? Are you having him for Christmas lunch?

#11 keitha

keitha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 01:05 PM

I've never seen a hedgehog despite having a huge garden in SE19, yet I see foxes almost every day. I have been puzzling about this recently, and it is clearly an SE19 problem, yet I couldn't find anything on the Hedghog Preservation Society website that might explain the local shortage.

http://www.software-technics.com/bhps/

Apparently you can adopt....

#12 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 02:52 PM

I live on Grange Road and actually have seen a hedgehog! I have some woods at the bottom of my garden/car park and came across my cat poking one with his foot. Didn't seem to bother the hedgehog (assuming it wasn't dead!) so I left them to it. Cat came running in limping and moaning a while later so I assumed that the hedgehog won.

I have seen others just sitting in the roads if I have been out late at night and have had to stop and move them along with a stick which probably explains the lack of hedgehogs! :D

Haven't seen one for a long time though :blink:

#13 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 08:39 AM

Well in a couple of months it will be the hedehog season again. I am still looking forward to seeing one in the Norwoods (or even Anerley, Penge or Sydenham).

In the meantime, there's a very interesting article in today's G2, beautifully written albeit somewhat melancholic, about the decline of the hedgehog:

http://www.guardian....rticle_continue
opposed to taking terrapins.

#14 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:28 PM

The article says "Hedgehogs appear to do better in suburban gardens - 'a more heterogeneous landscape,' as Bright says - than in the countryside, maybe because modern suburban gardens are more like ancient countryside than the modern countryside is".

So - the question is. How do we make our gardens in Norwood even more like the ancient countryside to attract these rare beasties?

More hedges and brambles, what types of flowers? etc. What does a hedgehog friendly garden look like? Then I found this link on how to make one http://www.thehedgeh...o.uk/garden.htm

Dear Hedgehogs,

Please come and live in Norwood!!!

Love all at VN
x

#15 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 01:33 PM

I was reading an article this morning that touched on hedgehog protection and rescue. The woman in the article had an allotment and wanted to bring hedgehogs she'd rescued back there. However, she couldn't because the allotments either side of her were not organic. Apparently, you need to keep hedgehogs away from slug pellets and other pesticides etc. which are harmful to them.
Mel, Forum Moderator