Hedgehogs

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#16 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 01:35 PM

So - the question is. How do we make our gardens in Norwood even more like the ancient countryside to attract these rare beasties?

I had one years ago in my garden in Herne Hill which wasn't at all like ancient countryside, but I've never seen one around here. On TV this morning they said if you are lucky enough to see a hedgehog leave it alone. If you want to put out food for it, use cat or dog food (not bread and milk, obviously!) I suspect that in CP this would attract more foxes than hedgehogs.

Edited by Sylvester, 18 January 2006 - 01:37 PM.

aka Pie

#17 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 02:59 PM

as you should see earlier in this thread there is or was at least one in the area -he was last seen this summer, but after several regular feeding sessions disapeared again. He was very very nervous of people, scuttled off if the security light came on so pretty hard to spot! I think the foxes were terrorising him he was a great worry.

#18 J B

J B

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:53 AM

Wow after reading this I feel very lucky... I've got one!! First spotted him in my garden (Mowbray Road) a few weeks before Christmas, he should have been in hybernation, but obviously hadn't eaten enough, I started feeding him and made a box for him to keep warm in.. Haven't checked to see if he uses is as I don't want to disturb him if he is, I feed him catfood, nuts and a little cheese and give him lots of water. I put it out when I hear him and go inside, come out a few minutes later and it's all gone! He's not around every night so I'm hoping he's having shorts bursts of hybernation!!
www.londonorthotics.co.uk

#19 RaverDrew

RaverDrew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:29 PM

The first and only time I saw a real live hedgehog was on the central hill estate about 20 years ago.

#20 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 01:26 PM

It funny, isn't it, the things that differ between the city and the countryside.

In the village I grew up in, we used to see hedgehogs very regularly (often squished on the road sadly - but lots of live snuffling ones too!)

But seeing a squirrel was a bit of an occasion and I only remember once seeing a fox. The first time I saw a fox in London I was amazed - but obviously I'm used to seeing them all time now!

We came down to London once when I was a kid and the highlight for me was feeding the squirrels in Hyde Park!

#21 minnieminx

minnieminx

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 06:46 PM

It's really weird isn't it, because my partner lives in a village in Somerset and he gets really excited about the squirrels and foxes in my garden, where I take it as normal. I would have thought there was more wildlife in the county which there is but different.

#22 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 09:32 AM

I think there are plenty of rural squirrels and foxes but they don't like to hang out in places you're likely to see them!

#23 Silke

Silke

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 04:05 PM

I can very excitedly report a hedgehog sighting in SE19! I saw one in our garden in Mowbray Road last night!

Plus I saw a turtle in the dinosour lake in the park and a stag beetle at CP station. I feel like I've had my own personal spring watch weekend! :D
www.themassagepractice.co.uk

#24 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:57 AM

We were having a barbecue on Saturday evening and I heard a rustling in the back shrubbery at about 9.15. I went over to investigate and found that it was a hedgehog, looking in perfect health and having a lovely time nosing about.

It stayed in the garden for about 20 minutes before scuttering onwards - roughly in the direction of Mowbray Road - perhaps to try the grubs in Silke's garden.

It was so exciting - and indeed moving - to see a live hedgehog in Upper Norwood. Fingers crossed, there is perhaps a breeding colony in the Stambourne Woods.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#25 iclipper

iclipper

Former WN'er....

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 10:48 AM

Not as exciting as a hedgehog, but we have a colony of sparrows in our front garden and the surrounding houses, I read that they were becoming becoming a rarity in London but the gang that keep flying about are thriving

#26 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:08 AM

I standardly have 9 or 10 of them in my apple tree and more down the garden, but then I do feed them. Makes all the difference.

There was a mother feeding her baby in the tree the other day - v sweet.
Rachel
My link

#27 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:22 AM

you are so lucky, Rachel F. I just love the thought of having 9 or 10 hedgehogs in an apple tree. ;)
opposed to taking terrapins.

#28 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:29 AM

ha ha!

Wish we did get hedgehogs for them to get into it (except when they fly over, of course.)
Rachel
My link

#29 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 11:47 AM

We also had a first-time hedgehog visitation over the weekend. The security light in the back garden went on and there it was on the grass, no doubt looking for something to eat. It then scuttled off (I was surprised how fast they can move!) so I left out some cat food, but I didn't see it return. The food was gone by the next morning, not surprisingly.
aka Pie

#30 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 03:41 PM

our local hedgehog has been round again about 10 pm each evening just got him some kitten biscuitsat the new Sainsbury lets hope he likes them!