• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#16 crb99

crb99

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 10:54 AM

As previously mentioned I'm using www.plus.net - superb service so far (about 2 months or so), no problems, easy to set up, no annual contract....£14.99 a month

#17 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 01:44 PM

I can highly recommend Metronet.

From personal experience, I would never recommend Bulldog in a million years. Stay away.

Edited by jannism, 22 July 2005 - 01:44 PM.

#18 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 02:50 PM

Thanks - I looked at Plusnet, and it sounds perfect on paper, but you're restricted to 100Mb of traffic a month. Difficult to know what constitutes traffic. My website alone is around 30Mb each time I upload it - otherwise it would be perfect - especially as they seem very mac friendly.

Just looked at Metronet - works on a basic charge and then extra for the traffic - probably no good for me as I download and upload a lot - think I'll stay where I am!

:unsure:

Edited by Crushed Mango 2, 22 July 2005 - 03:01 PM.

M A N G O

#19 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:19 PM

I can highly recommend Metronet.

I've heard they're very good...but you need to have been with another broadband provider for a year, then they'll migrate you for free. Otherwise, there's a set-up charge.
This info is probably about 6 months old by now, so probably best to check the website which Jannism quoted.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#20 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 03:30 PM

The setup fee is still £69 I'm afraid which is standard (if not slightly higher) for all new connections with the exception of BT and their ilk. All the providers who say there's no setup fee do so on the proviso that you'll stay with them for 12 months (even if they have no minimum term - always read the Ts and Cs!).

Check out www.adslguide.org where you can compare providers as rated by users. They also have a pretty interesting forum (although not as intersting as this one, I hasten to add)

Edited by jannism, 22 July 2005 - 03:30 PM.

#21 Muzza24

Muzza24

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:18 PM

Bit late to this thread but I found another interesting site whilst hunting for Broadband

www.broadbandguideuk.com

As a relative novice I found the "wordier" approach a bit easier to understand!

#22 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:03 PM

I am thinking about getting broadband, but rather fancy getting cable tv too. My cable provider (NTL) insist that you have their phone line. I have been rather put off NTL broadband by what people have been saying about it, but can I get different providers' broadband through their line? I get the distinct impression that if you don't use NTL's, you need a BT line. It seems a bit indulgent to have 2 different lines, but is do-able if necessary.

Also does anyone have the Talk Talk set up where you get free broadband if you pay them rather than BT but keep your BT line? If so, any good?

All advice gratefully received!
Rachel
My link

#23 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 03:16 PM

As I've said before I have had NTL for 4 years for Broadband and 10 years for pay TV and I have had one box fail (and with NTL they replace the box for free - Sky will charge you) and one day without broadband which I think is pretty darn good. NTL are also doing a bit of deal - half price for three months (£15 instead of £30).

AOL is available over NTL's lines as well...

If you go with BT you don't need two lines - it all comes down one cable and works.

Nick
Nick, Forum Moderator

#24 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 10:10 PM

I have found the broadband offerings quite confusing especially as NTL don't provide it all of SE19. BT appear to but say that I would have to pay £90 to get a BT line....

#25 Will on the Hill

Will on the Hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 04:41 PM

I used which to choose my provider and ended up with Freedom 2 Surf as it had such high user ratings and pretty well priced. At the time I joined a few months ago it was doing good deals too.

From "which"

MetroNet did very well in every key area. Its pricing is complex, but customers gave it top marks for value. Its standard 512Kbps service starts at £11.75 a month for 400MB, after which it is Pay As You Go. However there is a maximum payment limit of £22.74, which equates to about 5GB usage. Usage over this level is free. It also offers 1Mbps and 2Mbps packages with various usage levels.

Freedom 2 Surf scored well in all categories and was rated above average for support. Its 5GB-capped up to8Mbps service costs from £14.99 a month but isn’t metered between 1am and 6am – useful if you’re a night owl. It also rated highly on value for money.

Zen Internet did well on most points, and offers an up to 8Mbps service for £24.99, with a large usage cap of 20GB.

Nildram was rated only average on value for money but did well on all other key points. Its Broadband 2 Go service gives 2.5GB for £15.99 a month – as with all ISPs the speed depends on your local exchange but is up to 8Mbps. For £19.99 a month you can get a 512Kbps service. There is a monthly 25GB fair use quota at this speed during peak hours of 8am to midnight, but you get unlimited off peak use. Both packages are available on monthly contracts.

Eclipse did well in most key categories, although it didn’t score as highly as some other Best Buys for value for money. All its packages come with speeds of up to 8Mbps, depending on your local exchange. Its packages start at £14.99; for this price you can either get the Home User Option 1, which has a monthly cap of 2GB, or Evolution Option 1, which is marketed as unlimited but has a fair usage policy of 20GB (unmetered between midnight and 7am). Evolution seems like a better deal on the surface, but the speed you get will depend on the number of people online at a given time (Eclipse doesn’t have a contention ratio cap) so may vary quite a bit; Home User customers will be given priority over Evolution customers so are more likely to achieve a consistently high speed.

PlusNet scored well on all the main ratings. Its Broadband Plus service comes at speeds of up to 8Mbps for £14.99 a month. Technically there’s no cap on usage, but PlusNet states that the product is not suitable for data heavy applications or large downloads, so we regard this as a form of cap.

Waitrose with an up to 8Mbps service for £18.99 a month, and Force 9, with capped and uncapped services from £14.99 a month, scored well in most areas, although we didn’t have enough replies from people who’d used their technical support to rate this.

Don't buy

NTLwas one of the worst broadband providers in our previous survey and was also rated well below average on every point this time.

#26 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:04 PM

In the ever changing world of broadband services, do the recommendations from last spring still hold? We need to get broadband and telphone (but don't care so much about the TV) and are looking for the best current package. Any recs anyone? (thicket road area)

#27 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 02:52 PM

apologies if this is in the wrong place, but have any of you guys recently started experiencing problems with VirginMedia, in paticular those of you with a blueyonder.co.uk email address?

It used to be great but in the last month, email has become really unreliable, frequently failing to go through - only about 1 in 10 of my emails go first time without crashing (and deleting the email Ive already typed). It's SOOO annoying. :angry:

Has something changed in recent weeks, or has anyone else experienced this problem? I have complained and Virgin are going to "get back to me" as apparently they are "quite busy" at the moment.

Receipt of emails into my Inbox seems to be fine.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is in the same boat or if there's anything i can do about it from my end - thanks.

#28 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 05:15 PM

The problem with 'crashing' is related to your PC, not your internet connection. You can try checking your system over using troubleshooting utilities or take it to an expert to do it for you. See the recommendations for Computer Repair.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#29 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:16 AM

When i say "crashed" this is my non-techie speak for a notification coming up saying

"The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings."

The whole pc does not crash - in fact my internet connection to virgin media website does not even crash, just the screen displaying the email i have just typed.

Or is this the same thing and it's still my pc which is bust?

#30 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 09:03 AM

If this happens on more than one web site it may be your Internet Settings or the quality of the phone line. If it is specific to the Virgin web site it may indicate heavy server loads or a technical problem on their side. If it tends to happen more during peak periods such as 6pm-8pm or 9am-10am then it would probably suggest heavy server loads at Virgin's end. If you don't get a satisfactory response from Virgin I would recommend getting an alternative email provider such as Google Mail. This doesn't require you to change any of your computer settings. You will need to consider getting your PC checked over if you have problems on other sites too. Sometimes spyware and pc viruses can affect the way web sites work so you need to ensure that possibility is eliminated.

b.t.w. "crashed" usually means the computer freezing up or an application unexpectedly quitting, requiring relaunch of the application or restarting the computer.

European.vote - EU Referendum