• This topic is locked This topic is locked
41 replies to this topic

#31 Wombat

Wombat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:49 AM

We are former Blueyonder (Telewest) cable customers and have been suffering the same problems with the rebranded Virgin Media service for roughly 2-3 months now. We are suffering line drops, sometime several times an hour. It doen't make any difference whether we run wireless (we've changed router) or connect direct to the cable modem - the line drops needing the modem to be restarted. After a useless call to their technical support somewhere in India, we managed to get an engineer out to replace the modem after threatening to terminate the service. He arrived, checked the modem, said it was ok and wouldn't replace it (said you'd only get another copy of the same box) before disappearing. My wife needs a reliable broadband for when she works from home - this certainly isn't it.

As an aside, VM are now offering up to 20Mb broadband. Whether or not their infrastructure is up to it is another matter. They have also quietly introduced "traffic management" where your internet speed can be throttled back to a snail's pace if they feel you are overdoing downloads: VirginMedia webpage

Does anyone have any experience of the current BT total broadband offerings using the "Home Hub"?

#32 JGX

JGX

• Sponsors
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 11:02 AM

I have to say that before we left for sunny Wales, I was a Teleyonderbluevirginwhatevertheyrecalledthisweek customer and found a noticeable drop in reliability (and indeed customer service) since The Grinning Pullover took over the helm. . .

Maybe it was just coincidence but somehow, I don't think so. . .

JGX

Edited by JGX, 27 July 2007 - 11:03 AM.

#33 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:45 PM

I use Zen for broadband which was mentioned in the 'Which' article posted up earlier in this thread. Expensive but consistently reliable. I used to change ISPs all the time because so many kept going downhill after a few months and got sick of chopping and changing. I have used them for a few years now.

#34 danielm

danielm

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 08:48 AM

I have heard that almost all broadband suppliers now apply some form of traffic management which they don't state in their advertising. I have heard very bad tales about ISP technical support staff who don't know about the traffic management systems applied by their own companies. If you call them about poor performance, they don't tell you traffic management exists let alone tell you what the rules are for traffic management or how you might avoid getting clobbered by it. Generally they will try to blame anyone but the ISP they work for, without actually helping you. One of the problems is a lack of technical know-how by the support staff in most ISPs. They barely understand networking. You need to be careful to avoid this if you are working from home over a VPN for example, as VPN traffic can be traffic-managed out of existence by some providers. Zen is the only company I know of that doesn't do traffic management at present and it does work for home working. Furthermore I think their tech. support have a higher standard of technical know-how than many other ISPs. So that is why I feel it is worth continuing to pay for them.

#35 spenge

spenge

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 30 July 2007 - 12:28 PM

I have been on NTL/Virgin since I have lived in the area, apart from the glitch when they introduced 10mb, when it all slowed down (I am on 2mb) I have not really had many problems, speed is fairly consistent and it has only gone down completely about 3 times in just over 5 years!. Its not the cheeapest option but as I have the TV etc I dont have much choice.

#36 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 09:24 AM

We're in the Auckland Road area and are looking into getting broadband. Have a Virginmedia landline and freeview package. Not sure what they're broadband offers are? Other consideration was O2?

Any thoughts anyone...?
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#37 eva123

eva123

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

Hola Uncle Wif

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I have had a look around and, although I am sure you must have taken a decision by now, I'd still give a little report on what I found in case it may help anyone... or someone else found different information

The main thing to watch out for is the speed you are looking to get.

I am personally looking for high speed because I work regularly for home and have to send large files, plus watch a lot of TV and programmes online (note that this is not necessarily in the order of importance :P )

Because we are too far away from the BT Exchange, situated in Beulah Hill, it is only possible to get low speed bandwidth.... from what I see, even 512K is a struggle!! :-(
To me (and my needs), it means that I'll have to settle for CABLE, obviously Virgin.

As mentioned above, if anyone is in this particular area and benefiting from higher speed than 2Mb, let me know.

Regards,
eva123

#38 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:24 PM

eva123,

Just off Beulah Hill and with BT (via Gipsy Hill exchange). Currently have a downstream connection speed of 3776 kbps and upstream connection speed of 448 kbps.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#39 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:32 PM

Took up the offer a couple of years ago of Orange's free home broadband with my mobile contract and it's great - SE25 and SE19 areas both cope/d with whatever the max speed they can do is, which I think was 8MB. It's perfectly fine and quick anyway - I am not techie, MB-knowledge-tastic.

I don't whether you can get it free any more and I don't know how much it is usually but I saw an O2 poster today advertising broadband for 7.50 a month so Orange are going to have to keep up if they charge any more than that.

Good customer service too, which is (sadly) worth mentioning these days.

#40 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:10 PM

I don't whether you can get it free any more and I don't know how much it is usually but I saw an O2 poster today advertising broadband for 7.50 a month so Orange are going to have to keep up if they charge any more than that.

It looks like 02 will provide a good service. To get into the ISP market they bought the ISP Be Unlimited. They are known to be one of the better ISP's and have packages for 'up to' 24Mbs with no download/upload limit. But 02's service will limited so it can be bundled together with other services cheaply.
I use the 8Mbs package, and I just did a quick speed test and got 10Mbs download/1Mbs upload. This is fairly common for me.

Hopefully O2 wont mess with Be Unlimited. Some people claim their service has deteriorated since o2 took control of Be Unlimited. ISP are notoriously difficult to recommend. They often perform badly for the person you recommend them to.

#41 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

Broadband Speed Checker by the Beeb... http://www.bbc.co.uk...yer/diagnostics

European.vote - EU Referendum

#42 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

I went for one of those mobile broadband dongles from t-mobile. Works fine, costs 15 a month, so not as competitive cost-wise as some broadband lines, but I wanted to be able to take my laptop wherever and not have to pay to use any available wi-fi. I was able to save some cost by cancelling the phone line at home - never used the phone at home anyway. Speed is set at 7.2mbps, and is fairly consistent.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage