12 replies to this topic

#1 pbradburn

pbradburn

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:48 AM

just stumbled across this.... http://viewfinder.en.....rystal palace

lots of pics!! i have not seen most of them before!!! very exciting!!

#2 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 07:48 AM

Wow, what a fantastic set of pictures. I had absolutely no idea what the inside of the Crystal Palace looked like!

#3 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:36 PM

I've got to agree. These are some of the best pictures I have seen of the Palace.

There some other pictures at the Ideal Homes-Suberbs in Focus website.
My favorite pictures are of some workers
Picture 1
Picture 2

Edit: Just found another reason to love the Crystal Palace. I'm originally from Manchester and the Crystal Palace had a Manchester Court.
But it doesnt look very manc. <_<

Edited by Axean, 25 May 2005 - 05:47 PM.

#4 Liliput

Liliput

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:39 PM

you can really get a sense of what was built atop the foundations your left walking through ... lets hope they get used as blueprints for a rebuild !

#5 buffalox

buffalox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 May 2005 - 05:59 PM

That tower is crazy!!

http://viewfinder.en.../aa98_06493.jpg

Best set of pics yet that I've seen of the Palace! There need to be more around - not just those faded ones on Anerley Hill. If they'd built that maybe we wouldn't need the transmission tower! :lol:

Edited by James, 31 May 2005 - 06:01 PM.

#6 Lambeth Lady

Lambeth Lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 09:34 PM

I used to visit Crystal Palace Park as a child and had a picture taken of me at 17 sitting on a statue we called 'Adonis' - don't know if that was his name.

I visited the area 50 years later and it was quite changed.

I loved the pictures of the Palace and all the inside pictures - I had never seen those before and it is just gorgeous. Pity the building can't be reconstructed - it was beautiful.

I have fond memories of Crystal Palace, playing on the Dinosaurs and visiting the Maze, even though it was burned down just before I was born.

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:48 PM

Hi Lambeth Lady hope Canada is keeping you well however I would say the only adonis in the Palace area is myself where exactaly is this pretender on the palace site.

Did you visit the current maze & was it on the same site as the original site ???

Dazza

PS you sound to spritely to be a 17 year old at this period !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#8 Lambeth Lady

Lambeth Lady

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 06:43 AM

Hi Dazza,

I was in the U.K. last month visiting my brother who lives quite near to the Palace. He informs me that the Dinosaurs are intact, but the statue we used to climb on, has gone.

When I was 17, I was a bit of a tom-boy, but these days climbing out of a chair taxes me, but then, it is 50 years later.

I didn't see the new maze when I was there, so couldn't really say if the new one is where the old one was, perhaps the Crystal Palace Museum would have a map of the area as it was then.

I still can't get over those pictures taken in 1859 - that place was a showpiece, I am so sad it has gone. :(

Canada is a lovely place, but doesn't have quite the vast history of the U.K.

#9 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:09 PM

The new maze is on the site of the old one, ringed by the original trees/rhodedendra (or at least their descendants). It was one of Bromley's more successful refurbishment projects in 1988 when they took over the park. A leaflet they issued at the time says it was rebuilt "exactly as it was, although without the (central) flag pole and the Swiss chalet (pay booth at its entrance)." The overgrown inside of the original maze was grubbed up in the 1950s in a demonstration of agricultural equipment. I don't remember it, though, from childhood days when we used to explore the park's overgrown vegetation -- much more fun than the relatively neatly groomed park of today. But at that time much of the area, including the maze, was usually closed off for motor racing. The 1952 film "The Pleasure Garden", starring Hattie Jacques and John le Mesurier, is well worth seeing for what it was like post-war.

The Maze was built on the (artificial) North Mound in 1871 at a cost of £200. The South Mound contained The Rosary (rose garden) which is seen on the 1st and 5th pages of the English Heritage photos. In 1904 it was replaced by Maxim's Flying Machine. The bump can still be seen near the Low Level Station.

Most of the statues were sold off (to America IU). One turbanned gentleman at the top of the steps to the upper terrace was left for some reason and survives, albeit weather-beaten, but recently lost his head.

#10 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:27 PM

Filmography...

http://movies.yahoo....o&id=1800215783

The Pleasure Garden (1953)

Avant-garde filmmaker James Broughton won a prize for poetic fantasy at Canne in 1954 with this satiric fairy tale. A puritanical Minister of Public Behavior attempts to keep a tight reign on the strangers who come to a crumbling public park to act out their fantasies of pleasure. He attempts to arrest them and turn the park into a cemetary, but a fat, hairy godmother tries to preserve the strangers' attempts to enjoy themselves with impish tricks. The production was filmed in the ruined gardens of the Crystal Palace in London.

http://www.bfi.org.u...m_view/code/264
Title Pleasure Garden, The
Type VHS
Director(s) BROUGHTON, James
Release Date 1998
Date(s) made: 1952
Runtime 36 mins.
Colour: Black & White
Certificate U
Languages English
Aspect Ratio 4:3 TV
Catalogue Code CAV054

11 in stock at http://www.buyindies.../FCTS-6347.html

European.vote - EU Referendum

#11 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:05 AM

Thanks for doing the leg-work I was too lazy for, James. I might also add, also available from The CP Foundation Shop and presumably the museum. The filmscript is a bit "arty" but wonderful nostalgia of the park and a few glimpses of the surrounding streets.

#12 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:16 AM

There's also an older film with the same title...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016230/

The Pleasure Garden (1925)
Directed by Alfred Hitchcock

Patsy Brand works in a theatre called "Pleasure Garden" as a dancer, she marries Levett, soldier of fortune, who is going to reach English colonies in the Tropics. Before leaving for her honeymoon she meets Jill, the girlfriend of her husband's friend Hugh; thanks to Patsy's help Jill starts working in the theatre. Levett and Hugh move to the colonies and Patsy goes on with her life in London; Jill easily forgets her boyfriend and lives a luxurious life. When she knows her husband is ill, Patsy goes to the Tropics, but she finds out Levett is an alcoholic and he lives with a native; the girl is very angry and leaves her husband. After the native's death Levett seems to go mad and he tries to kill his wife.

(n.b. this film is not the one that Chris has referred to!)

European.vote - EU Referendum

#13 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 12:31 PM

The original maze with its flag is in the centre here. This is from an eBay auction I won recently, so it will go away soon. The scan is a bit dark; to see the maze better, copy the image to a photo editor and up the gamma a bit. I'll put a better scan on Penge Forum's CP page when I have time (ha ha).