Photo

Cuisines of India

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
16 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (18 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

2. Good (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. Average (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

4. Poor (5 votes [31.25%])

Percentage of vote: 31.25%

Vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:47 AM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Cuisines of India
24 Westow Hill, Crystal Palace, London SE19 1RX
Open 12pm-2.30pm, 6pm-11.30pm

Web: www.cuisinesofindia.co.uk
Email: info@cuisinesofindia.co.uk
Phone: 0871 223 7855
Fax: 020 8761 0400

European.vote - EU Referendum

#2 JAM

JAM

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 09:16 AM

Tried out Cuisines Of India last night and was very impressed. Delivers what I'd expected of Mehfil i.e. slightly unusual dishes but well executed.

"GOLE BOTI ANGARA
A spicy preparation of boneless lamb cooked with brown onion paste and garam masala with a predominant flavour of mint and crushed black pepper"

This dish was particularly good.
JAM

#3 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:58 AM

Mrs Uncle Wilf and I visisted the establishment in question on Friday...

The food was very good but it somehow the place didn't seem to be working.... it was half empty and whilst the service was attentive it wasn't particularly professional.
This was a shame as the food was good....

Next time we'll try Mehfil... after pay day obviously....
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#4 vickrik

vickrik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:11 PM

Initially this Restaurant was to say good but after thye third visit it progressively deteriated, food was heated in micro and bone dry, never very busy probably low turn over of food. Will definately not be returning!

#5 Hedgehog11

Hedgehog11

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:19 PM

Me plus my better half, visited Cuisines Of India two weeks back on Saturday. The food was actually excellent, non of the excess fat swilling around that is sometimes found in Indian restaurants, and plenty of flavour. Trade was brisk and the food was being freshly prepared. I have to concur with JAM on Gole Bote Angara - truly yummy :P

Edited by Hedgehog11, 14 April 2006 - 12:21 PM.

#6 Dolly Dimple

Dolly Dimple

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 09:28 PM

Well, I can't disagree on the food - my paneer kofte were splendid, and Mr D was very satisfied with his spicy beef fry. It's just a shame that everything else was so chaotic. Where to start?! The fact that it took them 20 minutes to ask us about drinks? The half-hour after we ordered for them to get our starters to us? Having to ask twice for drinks because everything was going crazy in the restaurant? The manageress running about frantically and constantly hurling abuse at the waiting staff right next to our table? Their losing our order and taking another 20 minutes to get the bill to us? The manageress opening the door onto my hand because she was turning round to shout at her daughter while showing us out? Really, it was possibly the worst service I've ever had in any restaurant, anywhere...

To be fair, it was incredibly busy in there, and they may have been taken aback by the popularity of their current promotion, but other restaurants around the Triangle (eg A Torre) manage to be full up and maintain a good level of service. Will not be going back.

Edited by Dolly Dimple, 16 June 2006 - 09:28 PM.

#7 Helen

Helen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:07 AM

We ate here for the first time on Saturday night and we were very impressed. The food was fantastic and the atmosphere perfect. I also have to say that we found the staff charming.

We will be going back soon.

Edited by Helen, 26 June 2006 - 09:08 AM.

#8 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:23 AM

Checking their website - the menu does look fantastic although went in there last year and the service was shambolic but will be prepared to give it another go as the food was decent.

Lets hope they get it together and as Helen has posted - that the service/atmosphere has become as good as the food.
Fighting Nightingales

#9 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:01 PM

Is the Goan food festival still on at the restaurant - i havent had a chance to go to it yet. Ive been to the Goan restaurant in soho which is lovely and also been to Goa so it would be nice if more restaurants did a Goan menu.....
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#10 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:15 AM

We thought we'd give it a try but I am sad to report that we were bitterly bitterly disappointed with the quality of the food as were our dining partners. I think the background music ( theme tune to Eastenders), uninterested member of staff and luke warm drinks just about summed up our dining experience. Perhaps they were having a bad night but I don't think we will be returning.

#11 Nina

Nina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 01:36 PM

Hello!

Just moved to the area and tried out cuisines of india. The food is amazing - why is no one in there? Is there something I should know?

#12 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:11 AM

I cannot dispute that the food is very good but what made me think twice about going back was the haphazard service and slightly disinterested staff.

There are other Indian restaurants (albeit that don't do Goan food) which have very good service and very friendly and helpful staff. That might explain things a little.

It's a shame because this restaurant is clearly trying to do something different.
Fighting Nightingales

#13 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 01:37 PM

Basically the problem is that the new owners bought the old business based on projected turnover that included me going in every week. Unfortunately the new owners due diligence didn't uncover the fact that a baby was on the way, and that I wouldn't ever go back there again.....

#14 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:20 AM

Moderator's Warning
We have removed some of the reviews for this restaurant. The reviews were from two members that gave the impression they were satisified customers but we understand are associated with the restaurant. The actions of these two members comes despite a previous warning to declare vested interests. We are extremely disappointed with this conduct. We have deducted two excellent ratings from the vote count and will be removing the vote display count from our restaurant guide and micro-sites.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#15 Chef

Chef

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 02:47 PM

My wife and I took two of our close freinds here around 2 months ago. We will never return!!

The service was shambolic, the waiter forget half our order and the food was not that great.