• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#1 Windy Miller

Windy Miller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 02:11 PM

There is a building on Central Hill opposite Woolworths which looks like its going to be a restaurant or a bar or something. Its huge ! People have been working on it for a bout a year now.

Does anybody know what this place is going to be?

#2 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 03:53 PM

There's a place a few doors along that used to be "Winners" leathergoods store that will be a new Chinese restaurant opening soon... "Chi". But I presume you mean the blue fronted shop opposite MacDonalds in Westow Hill for which rumours abound....

Virtual Street...
http://www.virtualno...eets/unwh.shtml

Photo...
http://www.virtualno...searchTerm=2818

European.vote - EU Referendum

#3 Iceman

Iceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 09:57 PM

it will be a mcdonalds

#4 Windy Miller

Windy Miller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 03:16 PM

MacDonalds - Oh no. You must be joking. i though Tagnam Thai would buy it up and open another Thai restarant to really kill off the competition.

#5 Iceman

Iceman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 11 October 2002 - 08:02 PM

only joking, i havent got a clue what it will be (mcdonalds was a joke).

#6 miles

miles

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 03:58 PM

I may be able to help with this one. When we moved to Crystal Palace in April, the builder from whom we bought our house told us that he was opening a members only (!) restaurant/bar next to the Opticians on Westow Hill. To judge from the colour of the paint, which is exactly the same as in our house, he wasn't lying! However, he did say that it would be opening in 6 weeks, i.e. May/June. So I reckon he must have cash-flow problems!

#7 pbradburn

pbradburn

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 08:35 PM

erm... interesting... members only....... lapdancing like spearmint rhino or something hideous like that, that would be bad.

or are we talking about something nice which is a high class restaurant? that would certianly be interesting

#8 miles

miles

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 01:26 PM

I hadn't even entertained the idea of a lapdancing club! No, I reckon it'll be really nice. If you look through the windows when they're not covered, you can see how much effort is going into converting it - vaulted ceiling etc. I'm really looking forward to its completion.

#9 pbradburn

pbradburn

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 05:37 PM

phew - what a relief! I can only imagine what that would have done to the triangle.

i hope they have sorted out the bit at the front - the RSJ across the building looked like it was precariously "supported"!!

Will have to look when i go past next time. Will be nice to see something different in the triangle.

#10 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 27 April 2003 - 02:10 PM

Does anyone have any more news on this place - it's looking no more like a members only restaurant now than it did this time last year, and it is driving me mad!

Cheers!

#11 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 02:55 PM

The owner of the 'mystery bar' has just given me a guided tour of the place and explained what his plans are. He has 7000 square feet of floorspace on three floors and has confirmed that it will be strictly members only. Membership will be approximately £50 per year but in return there will be a few perks. For example a 100ft long bar downstairs (even by long bar standards this is huge) serving quality wines, cocktails and champagne at moderate prices. Upstairs will be a restaurant but it will only get going a couple of months after the doors open. He plans to offer in comfort the opportunity to see England's football matches on 62 inch plasma screens. The top floor will be a VIP bar which will also include a piano. Music style will be jazz and live performances.

You may see work take place at a frantic pace over the coming weeks. The reason for the delay in completion has been extensive reconstruction work requiring careful attention and Croydon Council have now signed the structural aspects off, so they plan to open in about 8 weeks time (i.e. July). The name will be decided in a few weeks time.

From the front there will be a staircase on the left and you'll be able to look up from the front door to the top of the building.

Having looked around the place, I was impressed by the quality of workmanship. The owner has family with other establishments, connections with the Ministry of Sound and really seems to be very clear what he wants to achieve. From what I've learnt today I think a lot of people are going to be interested in joining.

#12 pbradburn

pbradburn

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:04 AM

looks interesting. a piano bar cool!!!!

should be worth a look. i hope he will keep VN in mind when they sort out their launch party !!!

#13 Windy Miller

Windy Miller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 03:45 PM

Its sounds great. Especially if they've got decent backers (Ministry of Sound) I'd certainly join

#14 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 07:23 AM

I don't think Ministry of Sound are backing this venture - the owner has connections to them (he told me so) but this is his own enterprise. He also said the music style will be jazz so I'll doubt you'll be hearing any banging hardhouse choons pumping through his speakers.

#15 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 10:34 AM

wow. I must admit I like the idea of sipping cocktails to the sound of tinkling jazz. sounds a bit ambitious though - 100ft long bar?!?! where are the clientelle going to come from?