• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#16 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 10:38 AM

oh and thanks for the detective work James!

#17 Guest_Andypclark_*

Guest_Andypclark_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2003 - 02:57 PM

Sounds really tacky.... what kind of pretentious nonsense is it to charge membership fees and have VIP bars? Anyone who mistakes this kind of thing for "Cool" when we are blessed with places like Numidie needs their head examined!

#18 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 04:40 PM

I'm reserving judgement 'til I see the finished result, it sounds ambitious to say the least but anything that helps to swing the balance of the drinking establishments in the triangle away from dodgy/scary is welcomed by me!

Have to confess I have never been to Numidie but I often drool over the menu in the window

#19 pbradburn

pbradburn

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 06 May 2003 - 07:19 PM

i'm not sure that £50 membership is the right amount........

Doesn't sound very exclusive to me, so i'd prefer either zero or much more (say 200 or 300 quid)

#20 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 09:22 AM

Hmmm, maybe I should start charging for forum membership and then this would be a cool place to hangout? Then again maybe not!

I don't think that its the membership fee that will deter - just natural selection. Hardcore ravers are unlikely to spend their drinking money to get into a bar playing jazz and it is true to say vice versa. I think people are wise to 'discounts' and 'fees' these days and will look at the bottom line costs. Gym membership costs more.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#21 Windy Miller

Windy Miller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 May 2003 - 12:11 PM

I agree with Weeble. I reckon its best to resrve judgment, wish these people the best of luck in their new venture and be pleased that a new business is opening up in the area.

My opinion of a membership fee is less in the way of keeping out the riff raff and more to do with the live entertainment they promise and a legal a place to get a drink past 11pm.

I wouldn't go as far to say that the other drinking establishments in the triangle are 'dodgy/scary' unless you happened to be in The Railway Bell' for their cockney knees up last Saturday night. hahahahah

#22 miles

miles

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 12:55 PM

We had a tour of the place last week too. I don't think the owner will have any trouble getting people to join. He comes from a really big family who all live locally, and he has sold countless houses to people in the area over the years. In fact he reckoned that he would have to limit membership to 400! Anyway, we'll just have to wait and see. It could be great or it may not be, but it has certainly got people talking!

#23 Potts

Potts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:34 AM

I want cocktails, I want 100ft bars, I want members only, I want pianos, I want jazz, I want England matches, I want 3 floors, I want to see the sky.

The area needs more places like this. Numidie is great too, of course, especially downstairs, but a place which has had some proper money invested in it will add to the area. I'd be very happy to pay £50 to keep out the fake Burberry cap brigade from spoiling my evening in Crystal Palace.

But are there enough people like me in the area? My only worry.

#24 Sarah

Sarah

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 11:00 AM

Has anybody got any details on how to join?

#25 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 02:45 PM

I'm sure I'll find out soon enough... although right now it is still a building site without a name :)

#26 jakob kaye

jakob kaye

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 01:11 PM

A piano! FINALLY a piano in a bar. I can't believe nobody has thought of doing that round here. I'm sure it will be the best place in the area by far if it encourages live music and a relaxed mood. Count me in!

#27 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 01:34 PM

There's also a piano in Numidie - tucked away at the back of the restaurant - but it only tends to get used after they have finished serving food and if enough of the 'regulars' are around to make a night of it. The piano in Numidie is an upright but I think the new place is planning on putting a grand piano on the top floor. It'll be interesting to watch it being delivered!

#28 Guest_Andypclark_*

Guest_Andypclark_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:10 PM

If the stiletto-wearing, essex-accented, footballers wives crowd that this "Members Only" bar pulls in are capable of playing the piano (and I mean more than chopsticks) I'll eat my keyboard....

VIP bar? Who's a VIP round here? We're all hard-working intelligent fun-loving people but, let's face it, Upper Norwood isn't exactly SoHo or Kensington.

Pretentious rot!!!! that's what I say......

Rant over!

:o )

#29 Sarah

Sarah

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 02:11 PM

So you wont be joining then. Shame.

#30 Guest_Andypclark_*

Guest_Andypclark_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2003 - 04:12 PM

You're right...... tonight for example I'll be at O'Neills (no membership fee there!) for the Wednesday quiz night........ (9pm kick-off all welcome)

Here's some warm up questions for you!

Who wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

What were the first names of the Wright Brothers

Whats the only country named after an element