• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#31 monkey

monkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 08:19 PM

Well, with that jawline, I'm guessing you've had to "eat your keyboard" in the past; maybe you should give it a chance before writing it off as pretentious. :lol:

#32 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 12:00 PM

Ian Fleming
Wilbur and Orville
Germanium, maybe?

#33 clive

clive

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 July 2003 - 04:18 PM

Does anyone know what's happened to our swanky new jazz club? The building work seems to have ground to a halt.

#34 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 August 2003 - 01:21 PM

You know, I really do hope that it's not turned into a private members club as I feel that it will not add anything to the area in the long run.

My experience of private members clubs has always been of two extremes. On one hand they are full of pretentious people are are attracted in the first instance because you have to pay to join and so it may potentially keep out undesirables....i.e. people with less money and a less glamorous jobs. Exculsivity is what fuels these people. Secondly, you get your drug dealers who deal in more "exculsive" substances mixed with the Peter Stringfellow and young bimbo types.

Coming from Essex and moving to South London, I was hoping to escape the plastic footballer's wives and criminal combo that so prevails in that region, plus I choose to live in South London to escape the pretentious air there is in central, west and parts of north London.

I am all for a jazz club, as I love jazz, but can it not be something like the Vortex jazz club in Stoke Newington which is a wonderful, relaxed place that lacks prentention and exclusivity. It has a cafe for the daytime, a respectable bar....all in all a pleasurable experience.

We don't need another place that provides big-screen sports (I think the puzzle bar shows enough of that) and attracts drug dealers (Blue Bottle), but rather something that reflects the diverse and chilled out community that really exists in CP. Numide and the Railway Bell have got it right...relaxed spaces where you can feel as comfortable having a quiet drink on your own as well as in a group.

#35 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 18 September 2003 - 03:33 PM

Any news on the mystery bar/restaurant? I've just moved to Crystal Palace and am very interested in finding places to drink as we're spoilt for choice with so many fantastic restaurants. Loving living here by the way! :D

#36 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 02:56 PM

There's still no outwardly visible sign that anything is changing in the proposed member's club in Westow Hill. But if you are looking for a member's club to join a new one has opened in Croydon... "Loop is a new stylish members club just off Croydon's High Street. Loop has an impressive cocktail bar, dance floor and ten American pool tables. Loop also has VIP "Living Room""... further details from http://www.loopclubs.com/ ... membership is free for a limited time. For the guest list email pr@loopclubs.com or call 020 8670 7000.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#37 Guest_Toscer_*

Guest_Toscer_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:04 PM

Sort of opposite Iceland/Black Sheep

Does anyone know what is happening with this? It's been in the stages of repair for months and seems to be going nowhere. It's got some flash new skylights and a second floor gone in.

I heard it was going to be a private members club but they ran out of money . . .

P.S. Alma live bands on a Friday night - recommended

#38 Guest_trikked_*

Guest_trikked_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:22 PM

Toscer

This subject has been fully covered, and remains updated in the Entertainments and Activities section, on the 3rd page of posts.

Hope this helps to answer your questions :)

#39 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:28 PM

But should we take the topic forward now...? That place has been empty for well over a year. Every time I walk past I check to see if any of the tools have moved, but nope... all in the same place!

And is it just me or are the lights on constantly? Wouldn't want their electricity bill! :blink:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#40 Guest_Toscer_*

Guest_Toscer_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:33 PM

Oh. OK.

Newish to the Forum so haven't read every back issue. Apologise for bringing up old topics.

#41 Guest_trikked_*

Guest_trikked_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:40 PM

You are quite right of course Elmo - the subject of the empty shop is intriguing.

Toscer - you know what you're doing - behave!

#42 Guest_Toscer_*

Guest_Toscer_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 August 2004 - 01:44 PM

Trikked.

Be careful or I shall expose you.

#43 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:39 PM

Anyone know what these two are on about?

Is it anything to do with the slightly odd thread title? :ph34r:

#44 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:40 PM

Nope, I was wondering what was going on here too :unsure: .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#45 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 26 August 2004 - 02:44 PM

They must know each other... Hop and I go way back like spinal cord so we shouldn't be suprised if a couple more sets of friends hook up to the forum...

That is... unless they're TROLLS :o

But back to the topic. What's going on with the shop??
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter