• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#16 fozziwig

fozziwig

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 03:50 PM

I hate to burst the little Crystal Palace bubble that some of you seem to exist in but South Norwood is just as rough as anywhere else in South London, including the triangle.... shock horror!

Yes, it does have a few shady characters here and there as well as some not so nice parts - just like anywhere else. I've read some hideous stories on this very forum recently about people getting attacked on the street or on buses in the Palace area....

For heaven's sake, get real. :rolleyes:

#17 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:36 PM

You'll also need to drive around the areas and take down the phone numbers of estate agents. Crystal  Palace doesnt officially exist as an area, and estate agents for the area sometimes can be found in places like Penge.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

??? It's not really necessary to do it that way!

For contact details please see www.virtualnorwood.com/property/

For reviews of local estate agents click on the pictures on the property page or see the reviews section on the forum... http://www.virtualno...hp?showforum=28

Sorry, just wanted to correct you, actually Crystal Palace is in Zone 4, same as Norwood Junction.

Actually... it would seem my pocket map is slightly out of date, the current map on TFL's web site says it's in both 3 and 4.  Looks like they've done some recent boundary-shifting.   :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crystal Palace is in Zone 3 and Zone 4 (as noted here)

I have recently seen some posters that mentioned Norbury will also be changing zones soon.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#18 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:26 PM

I posted a note yesterday that said it was neccessary to go around the areas and take down numbers of estate agents, because Crystal Palace doesnt officially exist, but James replied.

??? It's not really necessary to do it that way!

For contact details please see www.virtualnorwood.com/property/

For reviews of local estate agents click on the pictures on the property page or see the reviews section on the forum... http://www.virtualno...hp?showforum=28

I've got to disagree with James, its complicated but it will explain one of the problems with the area.

The list available are mainly for estate agents in Upper Norwood, often referred to the "Crystal Palace triangle".
The area that many people would consider to be Crystal Palace is spread across five seperate boroughs. The problem is map makers using hills as good boundry points. Officially Crystal Palace was a Park in the Anerley Ward in the Borough of Bromley, it was a park not an area. Recently the Anerley Ward has been renamed Crystal Palace to make things simpler :lol: . But a lot of roads around the park that owe their existance to the Crystal Palace, and feel they are in Crystal Palace area find themselves officially in another area. See this map of the Crystal Palace Ward. (Its still called Anerley on this map)

To make things worse the post office has its own maping sytem called post codes. They have nothing to do with defining where you live officially. They are just a means one private profit making company uses to help sort out its product.
They split the the area we feel is Crystal Palace into several Post Codes. The Crystal Palace Ward (Anerley) gets split between SE19 and SE20. With some of SE19 including the "Crystal Palace triangle" classified as Crystal Palace. But the Park is in SE20, and classified as not being in Crystal Palace but Penge. :unsure:

The sum of all this is confusion for estate agents. The best place to look for properties are the estate agents listed by James in Upper Norwood (the triangle) but several properties will be listed with estate agents in other area like penge.

For example, here is a Property in Crystal Palace, next to the train station and the Park, its in the Thicket Rd, Anerley Park area that I said had the best travel links. But the owner has decided to use an estate agents in Penge, and it would not be found on the list James gave.
http://www.findaprop...prop&pid=337383

I found it using this search at the Find a Property website. I went to the page on SE20
http://www.findaprop...k/area0229.html
Then clicked on one bedroom flats.

So I'll repeat what my original suggestion. Its a good idea to write down the numbers of Estate Agents when you look around roads you like. They wont all be up in the Crystal Palace triangle.

#19 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:07 PM

Good point... but hopefully the details given on the property page are a good starting point.

The difficulty with describing our area, with all the curious boundaries is one of the reasons our web site was named Virtual "Norwood" rather than Upper/South/West, postcodes, boroughs, wards, etc. I think it is a great advantage when online that these boundaries don't exist.

But you'll even come across disputes as to the definition of Crystal Palace area. Some say it is the top site, some include the Triangle, some more general and include Gipsy Hill etc.

The bias in our web site coverage is partly historical and partly to do with having to make a start somewhere. I think Pulsey79 would do best using Find A Property as you've suggested and then using that to look up local agents. Woodside is right on the edge of our typical coverage and I think only a few of our web site visitors know the area well enough.

#20 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:16 PM

I'd agree with the estate agent thing, our flat that we are buying is next door to CP Station (which as an employee of TfL, I can confirm is DEFINITELY in Zone 3). and the agent selling it is in Penge.

#21 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:00 PM

On a budget of £125k, I'd think you'd be better off in S.Norwood, Penge, Sydenham or Anerley rather than trying to buy close to the triangle. In any of these places, you're close enough to CP to access the amenities, but the prices should be that bit lower.

#22 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:29 PM

Had a scout on Find a Property. For £125K, you will not get a good deal in SE19. They tend to be either studio flats or ex-council.

If you can push your budget up to £140K+ you will be able to get a better one bed. There are flats going on roads like: Gipsy Hill, Auckland Rd, Maberley Rd, Waldegrave Rd, Harold Rd. There are folks on the forum living in all these streets so ask if you have any queries.

You could check out Sydenham, although there's not a lot there for under £130K.

Penge has a few nice streets and you get a lot more for your money. It's got some decent shops (a very good deli, book shop and a Boots) but isn't too good on the bar/restaurant front. There's Anerley, but it's a bit boring (btwn CP, Penge and South Norwood so there's not much there). You could try West Norwood also - quite a few forum members live there - it can be a bit rough but I think it depends on the road. I don't really know it well enough to comment though.

One suggestion would be to move here and rent for 6-12 months until you see if you like it. In that time you would be able to save a bit more cash in order to get a better place. We hung on an extra year before buying and in that time our circumstances changed quite a lot, meaning we had more money to play around with. So maybe the answer is to bide your time and see what happens.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#23 Guest_Bex_*

Guest_Bex_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:00 PM

What's wrong with ex-council?!!!!
:o

#24 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:04 PM

West Norwood!! Rough??!!
Rachel
My link

#25 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:26 PM

What's wrong with ex-council?!!!!
:o

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry Bex, it wasn't meant to offend. There's nothing wrong with ex-council but it's not everyone's cup of tea. The ex-council flats I saw on Find a Property for that price were not to my taste - i.e. high rise or not very attractive. Also, the service charges in ex-council can be higher than private leasehold. I rented an ex-council flat a couple of years back and my landlady got badly stung with charges for repainting the block, rebuilding the kids playground etc.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#26 crb99

crb99

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:56 PM

For what it's worth, I live in Penge and if you can get over the name it's not a bad place at all. I know there are some rough bits, but round CP Park, Penge West/Penge East stations it's fine, and very handy for the park.

Some smashing flats on Thicket Road, overlooking the park, but think they might be outside a £125k budget.

Edited by crb99, 08 June 2005 - 04:58 PM.

#27 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:17 PM

Bex - nothing wrong with ex-local authority because generally they are well built and often more spacious than flat conversions done on the quick in the dodgy 80's (which lost of the flats in CP/GH are). The only problem is that some lenders often will not lend and/or won't lend as much because of the appraant "stigma" effect on re-sale.

Pulsey 89

For 125K I would go for Penge (or West Beckenham as some agents are trying call it )- preferably in the conservation bit behind Watermans Square or the Thicket Road area. Also the Clockhouse area in Beckenham although that's gone up alot recently

You can grab a train from Penge Esat to Herne Hill and change for the Thameslink to Kings Cross Thaes Link. Hounslow may be a bit of a trek by car but in all honesty travelling south to west by car is always a bit of a killer

We all have a difering oppinion about south londona nd which bit is best - me I will stick up for the Sarf wherever it is - It always been a good place to live as many of those who before wouldn't go further south than Clapham are now having to admit

Best of Luck

#28 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:26 PM

West Norwood!! Rough??!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course there are nice bits in West Norwood, just as there are good and bad areas all round. However, I think most people get their impression of West Norwood whilst driving through the high street. The boarded up Jack Stamps pub, boarded up phone boxes, scruffy B&Q and chicken takeaways don't do it any favours. However, Lambeth have been resurfacing many of the streets and that has made a huge difference in my mind. West Norwood doesn't seem to be going through as much of a cultural revolution as Crystal Palace but the possibility of the B&Q being redeveloped plus changes down the Tulse Hill end could make all the difference. The local business community held some embryonic networking events recently and that is a sure sign that things are on the up.

#29 crb99

crb99

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:50 PM

An alternative Penge East - Kings X :

Penge East - Victoria
Victoria - Kings X (Victoria line)

Or Penge West - London Bridge
Lond Bridge - Kings X (northern line)

Or Penge East - Blackfriars - Kings X (only a couple of direct trains to Blackfriars in AM and PM though)

I've seen Penge referred to as "Crystal Palace borders" too :)

I drove to Kenton (not all that far from Hounslow) in an hour on Sunday morning through cental London, but I dread to think what it would take during rush hour.

Getting to the M25 from Crystal Palace can be a bit of a nightmare in my experience.

Hope this info helps and good luck.

#30 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:37 PM

blimey if there's one thng that gets this forum going , its s real estate debate thank goodness for people who ask about moving into the area.