Photo

Buying a home in South Norwood

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Bex_*

Guest_Bex_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:08 AM

I think most people get their impression of West Norwood whilst driving through the high street. The boarded up Jack Stamps pub, boarded up phone boxes, scruffy B&Q and chicken takeaways don't do it any favours. However, Lambeth have been resurfacing many of the streets and that has made a huge difference in my mind. West Norwood doesn't seem to be going through as much of a cultural revolution as Crystal Palace but the possibility of the B&Q being redeveloped plus changes down the Tulse Hill end could make all the difference.

Can I just point out that there are probably more boarded up and disused shops on Church Road than the whole of West Norwood. Where exactly is the evidence of a cultural revolution in Crystal Palace?
:blink:

#32 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:18 AM

Where exactly is the evidence of a cultural revolution in Crystal Palace?

On Westow Street and Westow Hill mainly. Just look at the bars, delis, restaurants and estate agents that have opened up in the area. Yes Church Road has been largely neglected, but the rest of the triangle is a different story. Two new cafes (ABC and A Torre) in the last month...
Mel, Forum Moderator

#33 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:36 AM

On the other hand West Norwood High street boasts a fantastic fishmongers , an excellent halal butchers , a "mini highgate " cemetary and arguably (with it's proximity to Tulse Hill and teh bus garage) better direct transport links to London.

The triangle is possibly more of an attractive retail area visually but the point about Church road is spot on - run down , neglected and forgotten. Equally CP has more bars and restauraunts but , if I'm honest , the standard is very hit and miss and in my view complacancy has set in to one or two of them. This weekend's quick lunch was case in point. I wont' name and shame. All I will say is that "Tomato and mixed leaf salad " translated to one overipe tomato cut into quarters and a handful of bitter soggy leaves clearly bought at closing time at Morrisons - and all for the bargain price of £2.50 - that however is for another thread but needless to say after 4 years of custom its the last time I am going there.

#34 Guest_Bex_*

Guest_Bex_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:44 AM

I totally agree with you James. I like CP, but I don't believe you can describe two decent streets as a 'cultural revolution', especially when neighbouring streets are in need of major redevelopment. I think its probably as good a place to buy as any of the surrounding areas. There is no real difference between South Norwood (Sydenham, Penge, West Norwood etc) and CP in terms of transport, safety, shops etc. I just think there's some postcode snobbery going on from people in SE19!
:P

#35 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:57 AM

I agree with Jamesl that transport is pretty good West Norwood -
you have access to routes running from both West Norwood and Tulse Hill, which means you can easily get to London Bridge, King's Cross, Victoria, Wimbledon, Clapham Junction etc. (If you can get to Clapham Junction, you can get almost anywhere!) among other places. Plus it's only a 15 minute bus ride to Brixton tube and a 20 minute ride to Balham tube.

However, I don't think it's that cheap any more. A friend of mine managed to bag a small two bedroom flat for £150ish though, so you might get a one bedroomer for less. On the other hand you could fork out over £200 for a 3 bedroom flat in a new development/refurbishment on Lancaster Avenue!

Hving said all this, I am very glad to have CP near by. I wonder why the Church Road bit of the triangle hasn't really been developed.
Rachel
My link

#36 Smoothy

Smoothy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:05 AM

I like all the comments here, very good debate. However, lets remember the original poster was asking about South Norwood and whether it's a good area or not so we shouldn't go off topic by talking about how other places are going downhill or not.

So to recap and answer her original questions, the general consensus is that getting to Kings Cross via train in an hour is very doable from Norwood Junction. Several ways: either Norwood Junction to London Bridge, then a Thameslink to Kings Cross, Norwood Junction to Victoria, then Victoria Line tube to Kings Cross, or Norwood Junction to East Croydon (1 stop) then Thameslink to Kings Cross.

General consensus in getting to Hounslow via car in an hour, very doable. Either go via Purley Way to M23, turn off to M25 or going through South West London.

South Norwood - as nice an area as the surrounding areas, quiet, two parks, lots of pubs and takeaways, supermarket, good transport links to surrounding areas with better selection of bars & restaurants (Crystal Palace, Croydon, etc.).

No one said anything about schools! Well there is good Primary Schools, South Norwood Primary is slap-bang in the middle of South Norwood. Ryelands is around as is Heavers Farm.

#37 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:00 AM

I don't think you should be hanging onto my every word. When I said cultural revolution I was hinting at the boom in the number of restaurants. I didn't say it was flawless either e.g. the boarded up public toilets on the parade.

However I did say "there are good and bad areas all round". Virtual Norwood is all about the whole area and I think our discussions would work out a lot easier if we focused on bringing out the strengths of the area. If we just keep hammering away at criticising one another or picking out choice phrases it will only end in tears.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#38 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:02 AM

Whilst a “cultural revolution” mighty be taking it a bit far, I definitely think the triangle area is starting to develop a critical mass of restaurants/bars/shops/delis of the type that make it a desirable area for your ‘upwardly mobile first time buyer type’.

I don’t think anywhere else in Virtual Norwood territory can compare to it in that respect.

And of course it has more estate agents than you can shake a stick at, which has to say something.

However, in many ways, this surface-level desirability doesn’t necessarily make that much difference to what it is actually like to live in an area.

Looking at it from an estate-agent perspective, CP has definitely ‘got it’ and the surrounding areas haven’t. But which area is ‘better’ really depends what you’re looking for.

I don’t eat out that much locally, so having loads of restaurants doesn’t make much difference to me. However, other little things do: I like to cook, and (try to) go to the gym regularly – where I live I’m two minutes walk from the gym and can pick up fresh herbs and veg on the walk home from work. For other people those things wouldn’t even be a consideration.

Fortunately for me I’ve never experienced or witnessed any serious crime in London, and I haven’t got any kids. For other people schools and crime are the big issues which will make or break their opinions of any area.

Everyone has a very personal perspective on what makes and area ‘good’. I know some people would argue that CP is getting ‘worse’ but it really depends on who you are, which bits you see and what matters to you.

Weeble (SE26 and proud).

#39 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:32 PM

There are some nice Victorian properties in South Norwood, also there is one of my favourite Indian restaurants - Jomuna, which does excellent food. You've got easy access to Croydon; there's loads of really nice restaurants in Croydon South. Also, you are near to Crystals nightclub which I think is great. It is a cheesy disco but with all your fave pop music and there are people from all age groups there. There is a karaoke night down the Jolly Sailor too. I'd say the area has a long way to go before it is 'up and coming' though, and if you're looking for areas like that I would stick say Sydenham is a better bet.

#40 Pulsey79

Pulsey79

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:30 PM

Hi, Thanks for the ever increasing info! it's really helpful... quick question does anyone know what Clifton Road is like in se25 very near selhurst park.

Cheers,

Helen

#41 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 03:47 PM

Don't know it at all Helen except that there's a vets there.

As you state though, it's very close to Selhurst Park, so you'd have to consider whether you'll be able to repark your car if you go out on a Saturday afternoon and if you don't mind lots of people traipsing past your house.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#42 Smoothy

Smoothy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 04:31 PM

Clifton Road is basically terraced housing. OK, but as gekko said, it's next to Selhurst Park so there's football on most weekends during the football season, which can be a bit problematic when trying to park or even drive in the area. At least you have a Sainsburys underneath the stadium so no worries on the supermarket front. The road also has those annoying speed bumps on it, so if you're not a fan of those, that's a black mark there. But you're probably equal distance to Selhurst and Norwood Junction station there.

#43 Portland Bill

Portland Bill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:52 PM

We moved to South Norwood 4 years ago as all the signs for this being an area on the up were present, tube extension, tramlink which is under sold by all the agents around here and the money that was planned to be spent on the refurbed bars - Oceans Apart and Gold Coast led us to believe that the area was about to change.

We live at the Country Park end of Ferndale Road which has had its moments but our neighbours are brilliant, we are a cosmopolitan bunch and our children are in and out of each others homes all the time. Everyone looks out for each other and when there were some problem neighbours from the rented houses down our road the landlords listened to us and acted accordingly and the police were superb.

I often have to travel into town on Public transport and I can get a tram from Arena to East Croydon, overland train on the Thameslink to Kings Cross in about 45 minutes, Victoria is even quicker. On the odd occasion that I have to get to West London I get the tram to Wimbledon and then jump on the tube.

We love it here and I truly believe this will be one of those areas where people will say in five years time I wish we had bought in South Norwood five years ago, although some down our road say we are Woodside, you really do get a lot of house for your money.