• This topic is locked This topic is locked
157 replies to this topic

#31 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 10:53 AM

Another person needing a cleaner! Would I be able to receive the details too please?

#32 Cocktail Girl

Cocktail Girl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:15 PM

I would also like details if possible.

Have anyone else started using the lady?

Does anyone else have any recommendations?

thanks

#33 eyedropper

eyedropper

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 04:20 PM

Blimey, I've a good mind to quit the Beeb and get my marrigolds on!
Bit of light cleaning, what, 1 hour a week, £10? £15? per household. That'd soon mount up.
www.eyedropper.co.uk

#34 Sam

Sam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:01 AM

Hello there,

Could I please also have the details of the kind lady that does the cleaning..?

many thanks,
m

#35 Papillon

Papillon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:55 PM

another one here who'd love to find a good, reliable cleaner who doesn't work at a snail's pace & keep cancelling at the last minute... please could you PM me? Many thanks in advance :)

#36 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:34 PM

Yes and me too - possibly one who can do a couple of saturdays before he/she gets access to the flat.

Thanks
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#37 Jenny

Jenny

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:35 PM

I am looking for a company who will come in and do a one-off cleaning service. A total clean of my whole flat before we put it on the market.

Do such things exist? Does anyone know any good ones?

#38 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:04 AM

Re the cleaner requests, one of my colleagues has a cleaner whose friend is looking for more cleaning jobs. She lives in Stratford but would be prepared to travel, particularly if there were a few of us she could do on the same day. I'm waiting for her to ring me back, but from what I gather she is currently free on Mondays. She is doing other cleaning jobs so we would be able to get references.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know if I hear from her.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#39 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:50 AM

Jenny

I did that last year and I found the name on the yellow pages.

They were pretty good.

Re the cleaner requests, one of my colleagues has a cleaner whose friend is looking for more cleaning jobs. She lives in Stratford but would be prepared to travel, particularly if there were a few of us she could do on the same day. I'm waiting for her to ring me back, but from what I gather she is currently free on Mondays. She is doing other cleaning jobs so we would be able to get references.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know if I hear from her.

Keep me posted above all if she likes ironing!!!!

Edited by LSPE, 16 November 2006 - 11:50 AM.

Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#40 Aunty

Aunty

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

Re cleaning agencies:

Does anyone here have experience of using an agency? My mother has just contacted Selclene and been told that they charge an upfront 'membership fee' of £103. This is for admin and insurance. After that the cleaning is charged at £6.50 per hour.

Is this normal? The hourly rate seems very low, but I'm a bit uncomfortable about the hefty upfront payment. Also, will they continue to provide a service once they have got it?

I'm always wary of my mum being ripped off anyhow as she is vulnerable. Would be really glad to have advice on this - thanks!

Edited by Aunty, 15 December 2006 - 10:40 AM.

#41 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:49 AM

That sounds quite unusual. I contact Selclene about a year ago myself and I don't remember that system of charging being in place then.

If you use them over a long period of time, it could work out to be very cost-effective, but what if they turn out to be no good? You've then thrown quite a lot of money down the drain.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#42 ajames

ajames

• Sponsors
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:21 AM

I contacted Selclene in early 2005. They wanted to charge an agency fee of £120 per quarter via direct debit. The fee depends on how many hours you choose to have a cleaner per week and £120 was based on having a cleaner for three hours pw. So that's the best part of £500 a year. Then you pay the cleaner on top of that.

My maths says: One cleaner working a 35 hour week earns the agency approx £116. The cleaner (£6 ph) earns £210.

I asked why they needed such a high (and continuous) agency fee but I couldn't get a straight answer.

We eventually found a cleaner by word of mouth.

#43 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:27 AM

Okay, that's useful to know. I was considering contacting them again as we are still looking for a cleaner and have pretty much given up hope of finding someone other than through an agency. They were advertised in the new Palace magazine this month.

However, I'm not prepared to be ripped off and pay lots of money up front. If I am letting someone have a key to my home and come and go when I'm at work, I want to be the one calling the shots, not the agency.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#44 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:04 PM

Aunty not sure what borough you live in but contact age concern or the council as they often have a system of approved agencies that can be used privately by older people for cleaning.

#45 Aunty

Aunty

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 02:41 PM

Gekko,Komodo and aJames, thank you so much for your advice.

I think we will be contacting Age Concern. They have always been brilliant in the past - don't know why I didn't think of them before. I'm also concerned that an agency should really get CRB checks done, especially where keys will be handed over or the client is vulnerable.

I did ring Selclene myself, to discover that AJames is right - the charges are as follows for 3 hours cleaning per week:

£6.50 per hour payable directly to the cleaner, plus £122 quarterly payable direct to the agency by direct debit.

By my calculations this works out at the agency earning around 50% on top of the cleaner's wages. Even when I used to temp the biggest cut agencies took was 20%, and it was usually nearer to 10 or 15%. But at least the agency's charges are transparent.