Photo

Lal Baag

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (14 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (5 votes [35.71%])

Percentage of vote: 35.71%

2. Good (8 votes [57.14%])

Percentage of vote: 57.14%

3. Average (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:51 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Lal Baag
8 Knights Hill, West Norwood, London SE27 0HY
Open Monday to Sunday 5pm-12am

Web: not available
Email: not available
Phone: 0871 811 1483

#2 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 01:01 PM

The Lal Baag has gone up again in my estimation recently. The place has had a bit of a re-think and now has a decent wine selection (as well as several beers to choose from), nice glasses & cutlery, and presents the food beautifully. The food has always been decent local Indian fare, so the additional extras really help. Very reasonably priced too, although the service can be a bit hit-and-miss.

#3 katb

katb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:35 AM

They've now a got a nice new menu to go with all the newish decor. Probably West Norwood's culinary highlight.

#4 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:24 AM

Ate here the other day and still impressed - great food, good price and good service. A handy place to have down the road.....

#5 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 23 January 2011 - 12:57 PM

Sadly, this restaurant appears to have closed down.

#6 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:34 PM

Very sad about this. The last time we were in there, a few months ago now, they were refurbishing the place and seemed keen to encourage people to still go there, despite the works going on. And a couple of weeks later, it was all closed up.

For cast/crew bonding sessions now for the theatre, there is nowhere within walking distance any more. Trying to organise people after a day at work, and a couple of hours of rehearsing, to all get in their cars or on buses, to go to Crystal Palace for a meal, just isn't going to work.

Boo!

#7 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

Some interior works have been undertaken on this place since the Lal Baag closure but all seems very stop-start. Signange gone too.

Does anyone know what the plans are?

#8 Spike

Spike

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:15 PM

I've noticed a new sign has gone up, so hopefully it'll be reopening soon.

#9 Marc.K1

Marc.K1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

Last year it did say it was closing for a few weeks so I had presumed that the restaurant had closed permanantly. I am very enthusiastic about the new place and hope that their food remains brilliant.

#10 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

Good news for us West Norwoodians - the Lal Baag finally re-opened last night! Fortunately we'd booked a table as it was full to the rafters when we got there at 8pm. The service was dismally slow (we got our starters at 9.30!), but hopefully that was just a first-night glitch. Other than that, can't fault them. The prices have gone up a little bit, but there are lots of new additions to the menu, including tandoori monkfish and a main course called chicken sherpa, that my other half couldn't resist ordering (and which was very nice).

The space has been opened up a bit so there are more tables now, the booths have gone (which I'm in two minds about), and the toilets are now in their own space downstairs, rather than having to squeeze past the bar. Some of the staff are still the familiar faces, though, and it was nice to be recognised and greeted with a smile when we bowled up.

Let's hope they get the support they need to stay profitable - West Norwood needs all the eateries it can get (that aren't serving fried chicken).

#11 MrsCunningham

MrsCunningham

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

We went last week, probably the best curry I have had in a long long while. really great wine...from argentina..all a good price and good service. Loved the way they have done it up, very chilled out now the booths have gone...appears a lot busier too but that could be because you can see in properly.

The only one that can come near them for quality is the one opposite tulse hill...but everywhere else was either too greasy or flavourless..especially that ridiculously overpriced one in gypsy hill. bland.

#12 kitkat

kitkat

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

We tried it on Friday evening and were very impressed. Good food - and a bit different to other curry houses round here. The staf were really friendly and came over for a chat later in the evening. We'll definitely be back, hopefully with some of our local yoga buddies.

I wish them all the best - and hope other Norwooders give the place a go, too!