• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:19 PM

Between 1964-65, my parents used to visit a cafe beside the railway bridge in Norwood High Street and I'm curious to know what it was called. They were rockers at the time and apparently it was a favourite haunt of the motorbike kids in the area. It was in the area between Gypsy Road and the Cemetary, on the way towards the church.

It's special to me because they first met there. I'd also be interested to find out if it's still there today.

#2 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 11:28 AM

Surely someone must remember the Norwood cafe. It was right next to the railway bridge in the High Street, apparently.

#3 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 03:22 PM

If I've understood your description correctly, there's still a cafe on that corner. Why not venture to sunny SE27 and take a peek?

#4 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 01:11 AM

Thanks, I might just do that! :)

Edited by James, 19 April 2006 - 09:08 AM.

#5 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:45 AM

hello, The only coffee house that I can remember that was in Norwood High street, was called The Tyrol Coffee house, and it was opposite a pub. I am not sure if that is the same one but there was a lot of people that went there that was Mods and rockers. I went there all of the time with my friends, and I was a mod, plus a lot of blokes went there on their motorbikes, and motor sooters, plus some of the people that went there was not a mod or rocker, but very friendly people. I started going there from 1962 until 1969, just like all of my friends. I don't remember another cafe that was between Gypsy road and the Cemetary, as I always used to walk to the tryol coffee house as I lived on Central hill on the same side, between roman Rise and gibbs Avenue, from my memory which by the way is very very good, so all of my friends tell me, but I could be wrong. Take Care

Sylvia

#6 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:31 PM

Thanks a lot, Sylvia - I'll check that out with my parents. Perhaps you even knew them? Does Michael Southgate and Carole Griffiths, ring any bells?

Edited by James, 19 April 2006 - 09:07 AM.

#7 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:46 PM

I just spoke to my mum and she says she knew the Tyrol but this cafe was further up towards the bridge on the same side of the road. But apparently my dad had his stag night at the Tyrol in February 1965 :)

#8 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 03:20 AM

hello, made in se19
Was the cafe between The tyrol coffee house, and West norwood railway station, because often we used to go to the Locarno on a Thursday night, and afterwards we used to get the train from Streatham to West Norwood station, and then get out there, and then walk to the Tyrol coffee house. Does your farther remember the bloke that owned the Tryol coffee house, as he used to be in the Army, plus he was a Chef, and that was before he owned the tryol coffee house, so he was a very good Cook, plus the Tryol had a Juke box in it, and also there was a lot of people that went to Kingsdale high school in allyn park road, that went there as well, including myself. I am not good at remembering names, but my maiden name was Sylvia Carol Law. the other place in west norwood that a lot of people that went to the Tyrol coffee house also went to the Wimpys when I hear from one of my friends I will ask them about the cafe. you see whenever I was going to a certain place I never looked up at all just where I was going, in otherwords in front of me, if you get the drift

#9 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:17 AM

Hello, Made in SE.19.
I was just wondering if you have windows that is anything higher than Windows98SE, which at presnt which is what I have you can download (googleearth.com) and you can zoom in to what ever country in the world you like even any where in England. it is a free download, and you could even zoom in and look at your parents house, and even sall of your family, friends, and relatives, and into West Norwood. It is free to download and use. The brithish high commision over here, especially a part of it which is called VisitBritain. which is in Sydney, but the British High commision is based in Canberra, which is the Capital of Australia. you will be surprised just where you can zoom into with it. you will even be able to find the cafe in West Norwood where your parents met if it still there. Take Care. I wish you all the luck if you can download it on your windows

Best Wishes,
Sylvia

#10 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 04:07 PM

if you have windows that is anything higher than Windows98SE, which at presnt which is what I have you can download (googleearth.com) and you can zoom in to what ever country in the world you like even any where in England.

If you dont have anything higher than Windows 98 you can try viewing the same images using googles various "maps" sites.
For the uk the link is http://maps.google.co.uk/
Enter a location, such as a UK postcode, or the name of a foreign city and you will see the map. Then click on the sattelite icon to see the image, then zoom in.

#11 Sylvia

Sylvia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:53 AM

Hello, Axean,
I have downloaded that link you added in your message, but it does not work like (googleearth.com). I do not know if you have that link on your computer or not, but it works like a camera, say for example if I wanted to go to my family home in Upper Norwood with it I can zoom in and I would be able to see my Brother or his wife sitting in the garden, along with maybe my brother doing some gardening, or maybe washing his car. There are also certain rules with it that you have to agree with before they will let you use it. The place that I mentioned in my message to Made in SE19, which is VisitBritain use it all the time, as they have to update their web page all the time, about different things, but when I get the money I will update to Windows XP. If you go to the Google home page, and type in Googleearh for windows 98SE, then click search, it will come up with on the link saying ask Jack,and if you clik on that link you will see many people have asked jack to create a Googleearth for windows98, but so many things for Windows 98Se is finally fading out , but thank you for that link any way, which as I said I have downloaded and saved to my faourites. Take care

Best Wishes,
Sylvia

#12 flyby

flyby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:24 PM

Hello made in se19. I used to go to a cafe in norwood at the bottom of Auckland hill next to the bridge. In the mid to late sixties, it was called the Gipsy cafe, a couple of Jamican guys used to run it. I am sure it was a cafe before that as well but can't remember the name of it.
Thaere was also a cafe further up, by Chapel rd called, i believe, the Blue mink.Hope this helps.

#13 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 03:44 PM

Thanks, Flyby.

I just asked my mum about this and she remembers the Blue Mink very well indeed, but wants to stress that Rockers like her and my dad never went in that one! As for the Gipsy Cafe you have got the location spot on, but she doesn't remember it being run by Jamacians, but then we're talking about the period between 1964/65 so maybe it changed hands after that.

#14 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:11 PM

I found out some more information about the precise location of this cafe in 1965 and apparently it was in Norwood High Street but DIRECTLY OPPOSITE Rothschild Street. Does anyone remember it?

#15 malcolmjanes

malcolmjanes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:00 AM

A very feint bell is ringing, as often happens with old f***s like me.

I did live in Auckland Place (now built over by Dunhelm Close) at the bottom of Auckland Hill. I was also a motor cyclist up to 1963 and beyond, when I married and left the area for Tulse Hill.

I seem to vaguely remember a cafe in Norwood High Street on the corner of Dunbar Street. It was opposite what I seem to think was the original fire station for the area, to the rear of St Lukes church (or is my memory playing tricks. In the 50's/60's the Fire Service operated from a larger building in Norwood Road near the Lancaster Avenue junction). I think the building is still there behind the church, although the cafe and adjacent shops down towards the rail bridge seem to have been cleared, like so much since I left London for Suffolk in 1965.

I do not remember the name of the cafe. I do believe motorcyclist used to congregate nearby. I had no need to use the cafe of course as I had my own cafe just round the corner, Chez Mum..... :) . Up to 1963, certainly, and probably 1965, there was very little, if any Commonwealth representation in West Norwood. There was almost none beyond (south) of Herne Hill. I think I would have known if the cafe was owned by Jamaicans.

As an aside, I think that next door to the cafe, south towards the rail bridge, was a newsagent/sweet shop called 'Robbins'.

Due to posts on this forum, I have had the pleasure of contact with member Brian Ellis, a neighbour from Auckland Place in those days. Maybe he would like to comment.