• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 brianaellis

brianaellis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

Selective memory loss due to old age seems to be affecting me. I certainly remember the newsagent/sweet shop but the cafe is a bit vague. Was it basically opposite the bottom of Hannen Road?

#17 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:16 PM

Selective memory loss due to old age seems to be affecting me. I certainly remember the newsagent/sweet shop but the cafe is a bit vague. Was it basically opposite the bottom of Hannen Road?

Thanks Malcolm and Brian, I'll get my mum to take a look at this thread when she returns from her holiday.

- Troy.

#18 flyby

flyby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:47 PM

Hello,
Further to my earlier reply. The gipsy cafe was definately run by the west indian guys but it was more 66/67 onwards.
i do also remember it as a cafe before but the name eludes me, or was it called the electric cafe?

#19 ChrisMc

ChrisMc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

Hi all, I think the cafe you mean was the Tyrol coffee house. I lived in Bentons lane from about '64 till '76 and that name rings a bell. On the corner of Gipsy rd and the High st was the Blue mink cafe, many an hour spent playing on the pinball machine in there, remember 1st hearing Queen 7 seas of rhye in there on the juke box!! A few yards down into Gypsy rd on same side was a small garage that had a couple of Rockers always working on motor bikes. Me and Charlie Campbell got chased down the road by them for daring to have loafers and a crombie on!! Down the high st at the bottom of Auckland hill under the arches I remember a small Scooter shop, Lambretta's Vespa's etc. I moved away a long time ago but have driven through once or twice since when popping up to watch Palace play, Great memories of Bentons lane estate.

#20 Made in SE19

Made in SE19

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 11:39 AM

Thanks for all the information you're provided, Chris, I'll pass this on and get back to you. My nan (maiden name: Jean McLean) lived in Bentons Lane with her family during the war. My dad (Michael Southgate) lived on the Kingswood Estate in the 50s and 60s. I've got to congratulate you on your fine taste in football, by the way, I still attend all the Palace home games myself :-)

#21 mummytambo

mummytambo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

It was defiantly the Gipsy Cafe I use to go their from 1965.. It was at the bottom of Auckland Hill just under the railway bridge in Norwood High street opposite the off licence on the corner of Hannan Road and all most next door to the Catholic church,.... About 1968. Jamaicans did actually take over the Cafe,
The other cafe at the top of Hannen road was called Lou's Cafe,
Hope that helps

#22 kescasper

kescasper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:46 PM

Dear MadeinSE19.

My name is Steve  and I live Pimlico. I think my gran Kathleen Mclean was your gran Jeans sister. Their mother was Lucy Francis Smith and she was married to James Mclean.  She lived in Waltham Cottage Change Alley.They were wed on 19th July 1903 in West Norwood. If this rings a bell then we are cousins. My gran left London with Ernest her hubby for Lancs after the war. They had three children James Kathleen and Margie and they all married and had children.  But I have lived in London for more than 30 years being the only one from that side of the family to do so.

Hopefully you will read this sooner rather than later.

best wishes

Stephen

#23 kescasper

kescasper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:10 PM

Thanks Malcolm and Brian, I'll get my mum to take a look at this thread when she returns from her holiday.

- Troy.

Hello Troy. I am researching my family and think we are related. Change Alley was what got me connected to you.

Steve / Pimlico

#24 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:06 PM

I have lost Troy's email but I tried to help him with this question a while ago. I am not sure how the above post fit's with this post.

http://www.virtualno...3-edward-price/

Christin Rawlings, nee Bull and later Griffiths was Troy's grandmother I think but I can't remember for the life of me if Christine was on his father or mothers side.

I know he will be truly grateful if you can contact him with any help as he is trying to help his elderly mother find someone with a very complicated story.

(Sorry admin for being off thread)

JOE

#25 kescasper

kescasper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

I have lost Troy's email but I tried to help him with this question a while ago. I am not sure how the above post fit's with this post.

http://www.virtualno...3-edward-price/

Christin Rawlings, nee Bull and later Griffiths was Troy's grandmother I think but I can't remember for the life of me if Christine was on his father or mothers side.

I know he will be truly grateful if you can contact him with any help as he is trying to help his elderly mother find someone with a very complicated story.

(Sorry admin for being off thread)

JOE

Hi Joe

After discovering who Troy Southgate is and reading his wikipedia page I have now verified that the bloggers Made in SE19 are my relatives. Many thanks.

Steve

#26 mummytambo

mummytambo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

It was named GIPSY CAFE

I use to go their in the mid 60s

In the late 60s Jamaicans took over the cafe