Bonfire Laws

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:38 AM

Does anyone know the laws on starting bonfires ie, time of day etc ?

We are plagued by one household who seem to think its ok to have a bonfire every day whilst they are clearing their garden - but i think its totally unacceptable to have it at midday on a weekend whilst neighbours are doing washing or sitting out in the sunshine - its soo smokey its ridiculous - there have been attempts to stop them lighting the bonfires until about 6-7 at night.... :ph34r:
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#2 charlottedare

charlottedare

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:42 AM

Would this previous thread help at all?

http://www.virtualno...1638&hl=bonfire

#3 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:47 AM

when i was younger i seemed to remember that the law was to have it after 6... but i dont know if thats an outdated law these days..... :blink:
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#4 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 09:59 AM

I was under the impression it was 6:30pm...........
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#5 peanut

peanut

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 20 June 2005 - 01:02 PM

Bonfires

Many complaints are received about smoke caused by bonfires, and there is a great deal of misunderstanding concerning the law on this subject. This note attempts to clarify the position.

There are no times when bonfires may be lit as of right.
The law requires that smoke emission from any source that causes a nuisance must be avoided.
Residents are advised to dispose of garden waste by making a compost heap. This converts green garden waste into valuable compost which can be used as a soil conditioner, and thus takes away the need for bonfires.
Some woody garden waste, such as rose prunings or fruit canes, are difficult to compost. If these are to be burnt they must be allowed to dry before burning.
Any bonfire that is considered to be essential must be carefully started with a small amount of dry material, and properly attended, so that it can be built up as the heat increases

#6 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:36 AM

yes there are no specific times re bonfires but it is illegal to cause a nuisance from bonfires and you can be served with an abatement order from your local council, ring your local council whichever that is and ask to speak to the environmental health/pollution people. It is also illegal to have bonfirws on construction sites -but that wouldn't cover garden clearance.

Edited by gekko, 21 June 2005 - 09:44 AM.

#7 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 02:52 PM

As Peanut said the laws are about smoke nuisance.

So....No BBQ's :P