• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mattie_04

mattie_04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:02 PM

Since i was a boy, i can still remember going into the Goat House, Penge road. When i grew up, it became my local, aswell as the Threemasons Arms.

I could tell the Threemasons was going downhill since the new landlord took over... <snip>

But Goat House... i loved it there and it just closed. Something made my realise, why did it close anyway? I emailed Fullers, but got no reply. Does anybody know? I heard it;s turning into flats...

Edited by James, 03 July 2005 - 12:06 AM.

#2 djmonsta

djmonsta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 10:48 PM

Hey, was lookin for why the goat house closed myself, as i went there as a chile, and came across this site:

http://www.croydonca...sp#Otherthreats

Hope this is some help.

#3 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:54 AM

The Goat House was the place to be seen in the very early 70's (are you out there Clive Dinnadge - or any one who knows him or his mother who lived in Regina Road) It was Lambretta days........

#4 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 11:59 AM

When I moved here, the Goat House was the only pub in our area in the Time Out pub guide. We went on a special trip to go there only to discover it all boarded up. We felt a little bit peeved that that was the best Time Out could manage.
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#5 Dutch Cow

Dutch Cow

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 11:34 PM

It has got Planning to be knocked down for flats ( Croydon has no policy to protect Pubs). The current owners are probably waiting to see who offers them the most money for it. Only natural, I suppose.

#6 Mikesmith

Mikesmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:06 PM

Goat house is no more. recently demolished. flats will appear soon. suprise suprise

#7 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

I could name 10 pubs within 3 miles of here that have gone the same way. Developers out to make a quick killing - it won't be the last.

#8 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:33 PM

we are sad about that one....never went in but loved the traditional aspect of the building. I wonder what happened to the two eager goat heads that held up the balcony?

#9 madpiano

madpiano

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:09 PM

allthough it seems sad to lose such an old pub, South Norwood has more than enough pubs - there is one every couple of steps, wherever I go.... I am surprised they all make money.

Any pub that does shut down generally doesn't get reopened.

#10 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:27 PM

As a lad in the early 70's we used to go on Pub crawls in South Norwood having just a half in each pub. Never did complete them all in the same night!

#11 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

Update on the Goat House goats' heads - they have been very nicely re-purposed as bench supports on the Goat House Bridge. Have a look next time you go past. Its not as good as the big old building, but at least s smidgeon of history remains.

#12 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:19 AM

I could name 3 pubs in that same road that have closed down ! Well its a long road !

The pubs in south norwood have really taken a hit with its pubs in recent years ! But i used to use the ship in my day !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig