• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:48 AM

I'm compiling a list of 1930s Modernist buildings (houses, flats and commercial) in the CP area to support a planning application. So far I have Six Pillars, next to Dulwich Wood House pub, and the flats at Cintra Court. Can you help with any more? They don't need to be grand examples, architecturally. It would be particularly useful to know of any within the borough of Croydon.
Thanks in advance.

Rosehip

- Have just thought of Plumbase on Westow Hill.

#2 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 11:04 AM

Trying to visualise in my head - very difficult - if you look upwards you may see some along Church Road ????? Help me out someone please.

By the way Six Pillars is a lovely building - is it still for sale?

Edited by charlie, 06 July 2005 - 11:05 AM.

#3 StephenB

StephenB

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 12:47 PM

There's that little estate off Anerley road, with a distinctly 30's gatehouse, curved walls and all... called Melbourne Court, I think. And at least one big block of flats on Anerley Park Rd.

Whats the planning app for, if you're free to say?

#4 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:42 PM

There are a couple of beautiful art deco buildings in Croydon that spring to mind.

One's opposite the Fairfield hall and is, afaik, empty. The other is an apartment block on South Norwood Hill, opposite Southern Avenue.

Edited by jannism, 06 July 2005 - 01:48 PM.

#5 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 09:21 PM

There are some 1930's art deco houses ( at least I think they are) in Everseley Road (off Harold Road) which is Croydon LB

#6 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for these. Forgot to say in the original post that I am particulary interested in flat-roofed buildings, but these are all useful and I will go and check out those I don't know.

StephenB - too early to talk about what we are hoping to do - we are still working with the architects - but it is a residential conversion/extension. I think that having a good knowledge of similar style buildings locally might help in the way we present our application.

Six Pillars is fantastic - we visited it last year as part of the Open House event. It still appears to be on the market. Sadly our budget doesn't stretch to the £1.something million it is selling at...

Thanks to all for your help on this.

#7 miles

miles

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:44 PM

Highland Court on Highland Road off Gipsy Hill? Not Croydon, unfortunately.

Edited by miles, 13 July 2005 - 08:44 PM.

#8 Hop

Hop

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:39 PM

Again not Croydon, and may be of no use... Pullman Court, Streatham Hill is a annual attaraction of the Open House day. Pullman Court

#9 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:09 PM

Hop,

Thanks for that reminder. I had already found the Pullman Court website (which is a mine of info) in my general research and hope to go and visit it next Open House opportunity. It looks fantastic, and there are lots of internal design details which might provide great inspiration. Stylish living in Streatham :)

#10 howdy

howdy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:01 PM

According to The Twentieth Century Society's Gazetteer of Modern Houses, there are two LB Croydon examples of housing from the 1930s that are regarded as at least modernistic by virtue of having a flat roof. No claims are made for the quality of the buildings, although the listing for Fairdene Road must denote that the building is of some importance.

These are:
75 Fairdene Road (1937, Grade II listed)
25 Grove Wood Hill, Coulsdon (1937)

The gazetteer does not include flats - so there may be more examples for those building types.

There aren't any houses listed in the gazetteer that are in the immediate CP area (Six Pillars being the closest example).

#11 Saul

Saul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:42 AM

There is also Park Court on the corner of Lawrie Park Road and Crystal Palace Park Road. These modernist flats were designed in 1936 by Sir Frederick Gibberd (architect of Pullman Court and Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral). I think they originally had flat roofs but have unfortunately had an extra storey added with a sloping roofline.

#12 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:06 PM

But Park Court is not in LB Croydon I think.
aka Pie

#13 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:15 PM

Six Pillars is back up for sale. £1.75m will buy you possibly the finest examples of domestic modernist architecture in South London:
http://www.pickwicke...612&Page=detail

Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#14 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

It's very striking, but I wouldn't want to live with all those sharp angles, stark decor and hard surfaces - not that I have that kind of money!

#15 Dutch Cow

Dutch Cow

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 02:27 PM

How about the flats at the Former Black Horse Public House site in Blackhorse Lane addiscombe,LB Croydon.