• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 a1topdog

a1topdog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 03:51 PM

How about 77 Addington Road, West Wickham BR4. Know it comes under Bromley , but not far from Croydon !
This was built for the Ideal Home exhibition in 1934 and now houses as a doctor's surgery

#17 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:00 AM

One of my favourite modern buildings locally is the interior of the National Sports Centre in Crystal Palace Park. Cherry & Pevsner describe it as:

“a vast rectangular building, concrete-framed and with a gently zigzagging roof that results from its construction, cantilevered out from a central spine. Internally this divides the space lengthwise down the middle. On the left the main training area, on the right three swimming pools. Practice rooms and squash courts are cleverly slipped in under the tiered seating. The interior is very impressive, not least because there has been no attempt to impress, no contrived effects.”

Edited by andreas, 20 September 2011 - 08:00 AM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#18 nico

nico

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

I'm compiling a list of 1930s Modernist buildings (houses, flats and commercial) in the CP area to support a planning application. So far I have Six Pillars, next to Dulwich Wood House pub, and the flats at Cintra Court. Can you help with any more? They don't need to be grand examples, architecturally. It would be particularly useful to know of any within the borough of Croydon.
Thanks in advance.

Rosehip

- Have just thought of Plumbase on Westow Hill.

I live in Cintra Court if that's any help and you need more info. Must say though, it was built in 1927 (same year as Church Rd cinema) so I don't know if that's an issue.
N

#19 ajames

ajames

• Sponsors
  • 203 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:07 PM

In Lambeth but definitely in the area... These are in Christian Fields:

http://www.flickr.co...@N04/983883783/

#20 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Went to a friend's Open House in Peckarman's Wood a few weeks ago. Ok, they are 60s but the Range style houses are simply amazing and very unique.

Dulwich Society archive

#21 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:39 PM

I remember the houses on the corner of Stambourne Way and Church Road as a kid, having very 30s style. It looks like Anglia have got their grubby paws on one, but the other is still recognisable.
https://maps.google....2,89.21,,1,-2.1
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.