• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

I think we need a public statue. The guy was really influential in forming the modern age.

Though I'm not sure I would have wanted to be cooped up on a small boat with him for several years...

#17 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 12:34 PM

From the BBC:

Happy birthday weather forecasts
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#18 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:57 AM

Enjoyed that clip - thanks Borgus.

BTW, I really do think we should try to get a statue erected, maybe on the island in front of the White Hart. Andreas, a project?

And all this talk about Blue Plaques - if I'm not mistaken, since it is Croydon it is a green plaque!

#19 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

If a serious suggestion, as much as I admire him I think a statue might be a bit over the top since the man spent only a small part of his life here (albeit the last part). Otherwise we should equally honour Emile Zola, Camille Pissaro, John Logie Baird, et al. who were equally temporary residents!
aka Pie

#20 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:56 AM

I think Paxton is the one who defined the local area ! I know there is already a head of him in the Park but he would get my vote for a central statue !

Emile Zola was French & a deserter ( sort of goes hand in hand ) so would def not get my vote !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#21 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 August 2011 - 02:08 PM

If a serious suggestion, as much as I admire him I think a statue might be a bit over the top since the man spent only a small part of his life here (albeit the last part). Otherwise we should equally honour Emile Zola, Camille Pissaro, John Logie Baird, et al. who were equally temporary residents!

I wouldn't have a problem with honouring all our illustrious past residents. No point in hiding our light under a bushell. Personally, I think Fitzroy made more of an important impact on the modern world, so I'd put my efforts behind him, and the poor guy needs some good press. But I'd give my support to the teams doing the same for others.

#22 Yamaman

Yamaman

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

I can't read all these posts as I'm currently reading 'This Thing of Darkness' (and loving it) so don't want any spoilers. I've recently moved back to CP after 2 years away (only Brixton) and since I now walk past his grave a few times a week I thought I'd best read the book and get to know a bit more about him.

#23 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 11:42 PM

Bump - very sad.

#24 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:21 AM

Thank you for the mostly kind words - can i just add that if anybody feels so moved that they wish to add to The FitzRoy Appeal which helps pay to maintain my family tomb at the front of All Saints Church (As i committed suicide not permitted to be buried in actual graveyard) they can do so by donation to the Rev Leonard Marsh who will pass it onto the church treasurer and will be wisely spent on preserving the final resting place of a remarkable public servant and his wife and daughter.

#25 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 03:26 PM

Yipes! His voice reaches us from the beyond!

#26 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:18 PM

I think I've posted this before somewhere, but I really like the verse from Ecclesiastes that is on the tomb of Robert Fitzroy:

“The wind goeth toward the south,

And turneth about unto the north;

It whirleth about continually,

And the wind returneth again

According to his circuits"

A great man, deserving of ever greater recognition.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#27 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:32 AM

Interestingly, I ended up on his post on wikipedia (stop laughing at the back. I know now...). According to them, he'd invented weather forecasts. Surely, this one done by some stone age man who noticed red sky at night, shepherd's delight?
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#28 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:38 PM

Another article from the BBC:

The birth of the weather forecast

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#29 Frank

Frank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:51 PM

Monument To Vice Admiral Robert Fitzroy In All Saints' Churchyard is Grade II listed 

https://historicengl...t-entry/1252999

F