• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 Fritz

Fritz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:21 PM

Had a recent Homebuyers survey done on a flat that revealed major 'spalling' (frost damage) to exterior brickwork.
Anyone know of a contractor who can quote on that kind of repair work?

Need to know cost implications before we proceed with flat purchase.
Thanks in advance :unsure:

#2 Portland Bill

Portland Bill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 July 2005 - 10:02 PM

A friend who works in Croydon Council Building Control recommended to us K G Atkins, 0208 777 5957. They are based in Shirley. Family run and very reliable.Their work was excellent, no hidden costs and they left the house cleaner than when they arrived.

#3 ginger

ginger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:57 PM

Sorry, no recommendations to make, just more requests! I'm looking for builders, electricians and central heating engineers (and a better paid job!) around South Norwood.
If anyone has any tried and tested recommendations to make I'd be grateful to hear them. :D

#4 Amanda1

Amanda1

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 06 August 2005 - 01:42 PM

My neighbour is a painter decorator but he does other things as well such as plastering, rendering, fences, paving etc. He has done a lot in my flat and garden I am very pleased with the results.

My boiler recently went wrong and I used a boiler engineer (who I also think is a heating engineer). He didn't charge anything for call out and would have charged if he could not have fixed the problem. His rate was very reasonable.

I'm not sure if either would want their names and numbers appearing on the web without permission but I can give you both their contact names and numbers if you message me.

Hope this helps.

#5 Guest_Rowena_*

Guest_Rowena_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2005 - 11:51 AM

I want/need a boiler person in South Norwood, too, but, before I pay to get the boiler servicing, I also need to find a bathroom fitter/designer type person to replace some (but not all) of my bathroom fittings.

I need so much help with my house and garden, that I really could use a neighbour like Amanda's! How does one find people like that? Mostly, when I pay someone to come in and work on my house or garden, I get ripped off! :(

From now on, I will only take someone on who has come with a recommendation!

#6 crb99

crb99

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 01:16 PM

If there are only a few bricks to replace it's apparently fairly easy to do yourself...drill round the old mortar, chisel out the brick...get some ready mix mortar (just add water), trowel it on, replace the brick, point it up.

I've not actually tried this, but have been reading up about it and talking to a couple of builders I know (sadly not in the London area) as I'll be attempting it soon.

...can be difficult to get imperial sized bricks these days though - look in skips :)

#7 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 12:12 PM

If there are only a few bricks to replace it's apparently fairly easy to do yourself...drill round the old mortar, chisel out the brick...get some ready mix mortar (just add water), trowel it on, replace the brick, point it up.

I've not actually tried this,

Yes, sounds easy crb99 but it's more difficult than it looks. Pointing (without making a mess all over the other bricks) is quite a skilled job. And I do speak from experience ...!! If the spalled brickwork is extensive or anywhere obvious, get the experts in is my advice.
aka Pie

#8 Brickwork

Brickwork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 07:05 PM

Bricklayer looking for a new contract to start as of monday,
work undertaken:

Garden walls
Re-pointing
turf laying
fencing
patios
driveways

Reliable & honest service with refrences avaliable

Contact austin : 07932033099
brickwork_landscapes@hotmail.co.uk

#9 belo

belo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:17 AM

Can anybody recommend somebody for pointing?

#10 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:07 AM

I always reccomend Big Al for small works like this in the local area of Norwood 07932401488
he must have done work for loads of Vners over the years & has loads of reccomendations llittered on this site.

Dazza
  • janie@eurolanresearch.com likes this
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#11 miss_f

miss_f

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 04:36 PM

Hi

Has anyone got any up to date Bricklayer recommendations? I'm looking for someone to come and knock down my existing front garden wall and re-build a nicer one in its place!

Thanks

#12 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

Big Al good fair price lives local so not afraid to stand by his guarantee !

He does all the work for my families propery & has prob worked on a good few Vners over the years!

See earlier post for mob number !

Dazza

#13 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

Have copied same post as in roofing as Big Al has expanded his services

Just thought i would update you on Big Al I know most people on VN now use him for roofing/repair projects & he has asked me to thank you all for your loyalty as he does not live in the modern age of electronis etc

Big Al has just exspanded his business & now has a team of people he supervises that can tackle all types of building work no job too small etc most of the people he works with have been working local in the area for years.

Contact phone number 07932 401488

My family & friends have been using him for years & is highly reccomended fair price & stands by his guarantee !

#14 Odilon

Odilon

• Sponsors
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:51 PM

Has anyone used the masonry/brick repair services of a guy named Aldo Polo? He runs a company called Polo Restorations, based in Streatham Hill, and there is a website with minimal info here:  http://ap-pointer.vp...uk/default.html

His reviews on mybuilder.com are very good, but I trust Virtual Norwood more. Has anyone used him?

Any advice most appreciated,

Odilon

SE27

#15 anopheles

anopheles

Anopheles

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

While my carpenter was replacing some windows he discovered that our back wall was 'live' and needed to be taken down and completely replaced.  JB Builders tackled the (huge) job with acrow props, scaffolding, bricklaying and pointing the replacement wall.  Micky (originally a stonemason by trade) on 07960-938-621 organised everything very efficiently.  Definitely recommend him.