Photo

Domali

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Café Restaurant? (108 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Café Restaurant?

1. Excellent (34 votes [31.48%])

Percentage of vote: 31.48%

2. Good (37 votes [34.26%])

Percentage of vote: 34.26%

3. Average (20 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

4. Poor (17 votes [15.74%])

Percentage of vote: 15.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 london lass

london lass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 12:55 AM

It's precisly because Domali is Child Freindly that I try to avoid it, unless it's later on. Still, each to their own, and it's good that all sections of the community have options.

Interesting that both parents described their own children as 'brats'...

Yes,good point;I'm not "anti family" or "anti children" per se,of course it's great that CP has places where mothers and children can be catered for,but it may not be a coincidence that some of us have world-wearily named Domali as "Baby Central" recently...
In my case,I have often gone in there,as a regular patron of many years standing, and been ignored after my order has been taken,only to see mums-and-toddlers with their four-wheel-drive pushchairs served in full before I've even got my drink...
Yes,the menu hasn't changed in years,the staff are not as efficient or friendly as they used to be,and service can be so slow,but having said that,I still think it has its charms,and some of the old regular dishes are great,esp when you want to linger over a newspaper..
Please someone change that tedious art in there though!!
Enough Jimi Hendrix/John Lee Hooker Art School daubs...

Domali needs a lift and a shot in the arm to keep its regulars happy,but I'm still going there...

#32 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 04:58 PM

.... i do have to admit that the service has improved immensley since my last replies back in 2006 - im quite a regular in there now and it doesnt seem to be one of my niggles with the place no more.... i agree that the whole baby/pushchair thing is a little out of hand now... i have been in there on numerous occassions where 1 pushchair with 1 toddler and one adult then consumes a table for 4 and half the gangway.... plus i do feel sorry for the staff who have had to clean up lots of food chucked on the floor by the kids and sometimes the adults - thus taking away time where they could be serving other customers....!!! I think its withn their rights as a business to ask the parents to 'help' mop up all the mess their little urchins make and maybe next time they will think again about leaving their 1 year old to try and feed themself!!! ha ha

urm other than that little 'observational rant' i think the menu is in need of less bread-based snacks....theres far too much wasteage going on due to the excess of bread... there must be something else as another alternative....

and FINALLY (ha ha ) yes the art on the walls is soo dated it brings the freshness of the cafe down... considering the SIGNALS art event is going on in the triangle i would have imagined this to be a great oportunity for some new and refreshing pictures... we also have lots of budding photographers and artists in this area - maybe open it up to produce an image each for domalis around the subject of CP.... just an idea.....!!!

ramble over
have a nice evening everyone...
The 'think tank' on gipsy hill. :)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#33 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 07:13 AM

Interesting post Twinkle...

Been in there recently also after a long gap... specials menu looks interesting and service appears more friendly...

However what lets the place down is parents in awe of their young children and buggies being left inconsiderately altho' staff seem to now be tackling this.

But parents letting their kids stand on the table isn't on no two ways about it.

But maybe there needs to be places for people to go whose kids run the household....

Aside from this, Domali seems to have upped its game a little.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#34 chic geek

chic geek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:40 PM

:P I have been eating and 'thinking' in Domali since first moving to CP 7 years ago ..generally i like.it .but my pet hates are the following:

weak cofffee.. come on guys way too much competition around now ...please sort it out! we support you because you are not a chain..don't make us go to nero for a decent cup.
sticky and quite frankly dirty menus and tables- we know you like to be child friendly but some of us are not accustomed to beans squahed in our sleeves or stepping on baby slush in our peep toes!
please try to clean up after the little angels and yummy mummys have gone for their afternoon nap and allow us artists and skivers' to put our lap tops down without the fear of never being able to get it unstuck from the table!

on a plus and not to be too down on domalis
I like the staff... ..they are always friendly ( to me at least )

Edited by James, 29 September 2007 - 09:23 AM.
Text formatting

#35 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:26 PM

Used to love going here in the old days but returned last Friday and not the most pleasant experience - soggy scrambled eggs, overpoached eggs & measly toast. ( Good mushrooms though) Don't get me started on the yummy mummies and their little angels, the 3 wheeled buggies and disinterested waiting staff. Totally agree with London Lass.

#36 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:54 AM

Charlie, I too went to Domali's recently for the first time in ages - and it's very different to what I remember from my flat-hunting days six years ago. I remember it as a place where vaguely bohemian (or downright scruffy) types would slouch around smoking and making a cup of coffee last for hours. But perhaps I'm romanticising.

I'd like to see another place like the old Domali's (as far as the smoking ban permits). But the current version has its appeal - it brings lots of people up to the Triangle who probably wouldn't have come here in the past, making for a good vibe. And they still make a fantastic Blimmin' Mary - the ideal follow-up to a late night in Numidie's Bar. :P

Edited by andreas, 12 October 2007 - 07:55 AM.

opposed to taking terrapins.

#37 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

Agreed Andreas - they also do good juices. :) I'm feeling a bit under the weather at the moment so probably was a little tough with my review. Would be prepared to give Domali another go perhaps in the evening to avoid the yummy mummies and their off spring.

#38 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 10:31 PM

I was there today and thought it was really nice. I am not sure if we were served by the owner, but it felt quite school-matrony. We thought we'd get lines if we didn't clear our plates!

I'm not sure about the insistance of vegetarian bacon, whenever eggs, salmon and cod are also on the menu. Vegetarian bacon looks awful, and is no substitute for the real thing! We had the Koko Deluxe Hot Chocolate which was deliciously creamy, I had it in a Mocha and it was head and shoulders better than anything you'd get from Caffe Nero, and all in all I woul definitely go back.
Love The Triangle...

#39 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:07 PM

i was in domalis today for lunch and i was pleasently surprised by the new specials they have available... also they have a deal where you order a special and get any non alcoholic drink free with it.... so had vege borginoise and jacket potatoe - delicious - the waiter also stated that at present they are trying out new recipes and dishes so maybe this is a good time to start going back to the old place....
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#40 london lass

london lass

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 01:49 AM

OK.
I am a long-term visitor to Domali,and had been gettng fed up with its slack service,mucky floor,tired menu,noisy kids,rubbish art on the walls etc.
However,the other day I had a Welsh Rarebit and juice in there,and was pleasantly surprised that(a) I was served politely and promptly despite not having a baby in tow;(b)the menu was clean;©the music was fab and not too loud;(d)the Specials were possibly interesting,(e) the new daytime drinks deal was good!
Also,there were a few happy mothers and children in there who were not taking the place over!Hoorah!
So I will be going back again soon,my waitress on the last visit was nice and helpful,and so it should be for those of us regulars who go in there to read the paper;type on our laptops;chill...

#41 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 10:53 AM

Hello,

I have been going to Domalis since I moved to GP/CP area 7/8 years ago. I did get bored (like so many others) with the menu, however, lateley I love their new specials and the new staff.

I am not a yummy mummy and hardly ever go there during the day - they make a fine Bloody Mary and have got draft Peroni ...... that's enough to get me back in there ...

All my veggie friends (from all over London) LOVE the place.

Palacegirl.... :)
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#42 Luciepoo

Luciepoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 01:45 PM

I'm so glad to finally read some positive reviews as I've always loved the place! Yes you may have to wait for a table on a Saturday afternoon but I've never been disappointed with the food or service! The garden is fab too!

#43 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 01:15 PM

Went for a meal last night and really enjoyed it. The specials were nice and the beer was well kept. My one complaint was the stacking of chairs on the table whilst we were still in there. Nothing like feeling rushed out of the door.
Nick, Forum Moderator

#44 Honey_dip21

Honey_dip21

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 06:53 PM

After living in CP for more the 4 years , I finally decided to pay Domali a visit...I would always walk pass and think.. what a great place to just chill, read a book or watch the world go by...

Boy was I mistaken...despite the place being fairly empty.. the service was horrendous... I ordered tea...it took 15 minutes.. surely it doesn't take that long to boil water... additional the waitress was rude...

Don't think I'll be going back...instead I'll opt for a calming cup of tea in Feast., a few doors down.. they now have lovely seats at the back where one can sit and chill

#45 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 11 July 2008 - 02:04 PM

we too have being passing Domali for years or looking over from Mediterranea...last sunday we suddenly were in there looking out...it was lovely...I am no veggie ( hog lover!) but I could eat nearly everything on the menu happily and it has a lovely quiet buzz about it...I wont be allowed to ignore this place again.