Photo

Domali

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Café Restaurant? (108 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Café Restaurant?

1. Excellent (34 votes [31.48%])

Percentage of vote: 31.48%

2. Good (37 votes [34.26%])

Percentage of vote: 34.26%

3. Average (20 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

4. Poor (17 votes [15.74%])

Percentage of vote: 15.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#46 Simply Me

Simply Me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:51 PM

I've been going to Domali for a while, got bored and stopped going. Had a fab Sunday brunch there last week when I spent about 4 hours in there. The staff were great and my brunch, cake and cocktail was lovely.

#47 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 08:28 AM

I ordered a t shirt at the market ages ago and arranged to collect it from Domali yesterday... so, after touring the market mrs b, ma b and I decided that eating there was only fair...
I maintain that Domali is not the place for a meat loving boy like me... It was busy and we were offered the garden and accepted. I have never been in the garden before and its a lovely bolt hole
with really nice people, kids and baby and cat. We had a shared mackarel pate with perfectly and I mean perfectly toasted bread... when I say we shared, even the cat had some! That is why the bowl was so clean. In the background I saw a portion ma b's main course and started hummimg the theme from close encounters. For our main courses Ma b had a fish pie set on a pile of mash and stuff and it did look like the mountain in close encounters... and it was radioactive hot as well. She loved it...I loved it for apperance alone! Mrs b had salmon on a bed of noodles which I was allowed to sample and was very good. I had a meatless chilli which despite the missing ingredient was equally good. The girls provided the best garden based service I have seen...always available in a second but never there until needed. My t shirt was worth the wait. The meal was ended by a killer wasp...but you could not blame Domali for that...or anything else except a truly lovely experience!

#48 Angela

Angela

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 06:51 PM

Having spent a lovely hour or so in the garden at Domali's having lunch today I decided that I really like this place! The food is lovely, the staff are very friendly and attentive and I love the decor and the garden. Today it was actually sunny...yes, in August!

For us, it's a great place to have brunch/lunch and just relax. I did read other posts about hoardes of screaming kids but we have never been particularly bothered by any of the children frequenting the establishment! (Maybe we just go at the right times?!) It is vegetarian but I don't think any omnivore would complain about the food on offer, or feel short-changed.

I would like to visit one evening and see how that compares to daytimes. But I would recommend Domali's to anyone

#49 Kristopolis

Kristopolis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 10:46 PM

Check out the new exhibition of paintings now hanging at Domali's since last week!!

Terrific!

And they add a whole new feel to the place.

Good art, good food (loved the salmon!) and really friendly staff made our evening there this week fun and not expensive either.

#50 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 11:27 PM

I was there earlier this week and thought that the new artwork was pretty darn good. A cut above the usual shite you get in pubs and cafes these days... I really like the one above the sofas.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#51 applejack

applejack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 12:53 PM

I went there with my 2 year old daughter for lunch today, the staff were great, the breakfast dish I had was fine, but my daughters pasta wasn't so good. I keep going back there every so often and keep getting reminded why I don't go there! I still love it, but it's never as full as it used to be when we first moved to CP (4 years ago) and I think this is because the food isn't great. I have not had good meals there recently, and I was really interested to see when I went in today that they had boxes of fish cakes that had been delivered (the ingredients list was quite long!) it doesn't take much to make home made fish cakes surely! I really want Domalis to be good but it's not happening at the moment, I hope they change the menu soon too as it's hardly changed in the time since we moved to the area!

#52 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:56 PM

b.c.m - beans cheese and marmite on toast - vegetarian decadence!

#53 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

I went there with my 2 year old daughter for lunch today, the staff were great, the breakfast dish I had was fine, but my daughters pasta wasn't so good. I keep going back there every so often and keep getting reminded why I don't go there! I still love it, but it's never as full as it used to be when we first moved to CP (4 years ago) and I think this is because the food isn't great. I have not had good meals there recently, and I was really interested to see when I went in today that they had boxes of fish cakes that had been delivered (the ingredients list was quite long!) it doesn't take much to make home made fish cakes surely! I really want Domalis to be good but it's not happening at the moment, I hope they change the menu soon too as it's hardly changed in the time since we moved to the area!

I don't think things have improved sadly :( and I am genuinely sad to say it as I have a soft spot for Domalis. We have gradually drifted away from going there in the evenings (at work in town during day) as the options on the board - although sounding utterly delicious - have become increasingly bland. It is almost as if they are shying away from herbs and spices. This is disappointing, as vegetarian food has no need for blandness.

I was veering towards the fishcakes, but on being told that they only came with a small salad and nothing else for £9:50, I decided that they were a bit pricy (the prices seem to have gone up since our last visit). My friend asked if the goulash was spicy (I thought goulash was supposed to be spicyish?), but was informed (by the very friendly and helpful waitress I might add) that it was mild and not spicy/hot. My friend asked if a few more spices could be added, but was told that the kitchen had no spices - the best they could do was provide a bottle of tabasco (!) We went for old favourites on the laminated menu - I went for Welsh Rarebit with tomatoes, anticipating the lovely, big doorstep of toasted bread smothered with cheese topping dripping down the sides that I had had in the past (heaven!). What I got was a small piece of toast, slightly burned around the edges, with a thin cheese topping barely covering the slice - not a lot for £7 :( I asked for some oil and vinegar to dress the salad (which seemed lacking in dressing), but was told they had neither (they do have a ready made dressing, but I find this too oily and bland).

All in all we were disappointed - and won't be going back in a hurry. I know that the recession is biting, but putting prices up and cutting back on portion size is probably not the best idea. I would also suspect (as is borne out by Applejack's expereince) that they are buying in their food. Why else would they have no spices, chillies, oil or vinegar in the kitchen. I was under the impression that the food was home made on the premises, but this does not appear to be the case.

As I said, I am sad as I want to support local businesses - and we have had good evening food in Domali some time back. We won't be going back in the evenings until a substantial change occurs. They do seem to do well with daytime trade, so it may still be good to drop in for a coffee and sandwich/snack during the day.

#54 gabe

gabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:02 PM

As much as I like Domalis, I'm getting increasingly frustrated by the fact that in the two years I've lived here, the only change to their menu has been the increase in price. Moreover, the portions seem to decrease month by month.....How about having some variation to the menu?!

#55 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 08:44 AM

have to agree - i was looking forward to a fish pie i had in there recently, but it actually tasted of nothing, not even fish! ( and came with some very sorry looking spinach on the side). i like the ambience and the interior but don't think i'll be eating in there again for a while.

#56 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 09:28 AM

has anyone approached Domali owner so they can be aware how bland everything has become... I know the chef should be tasting things before it leaves the kitchen but if by the previous posts people are saying things are being brought in from outside then maybe its in their best interests to to know all these gripes, its still one of the most individual cafes/business's we have in CP so it would be a shame to lose it!
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#57 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:54 PM

I went to Domalis yesterday and was dissappointed........ I had the pasta which was VERY bland, not even parmesan would do the trick..... My friend had the Laksa dish, again, far too bland - no salt at all and it simply didn't have the 'kick' you would expect....

I used to go a lot and I LOVE the place, however, not sure when I will go again, I get much better value for money at other places...

Is the owner generally at the place? I don't know who he/she is - I am quite happy to provide feedback

It would be a shame to see it go down....

...palacegirl
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#58 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 02:58 PM

According to a recent Food Programme on R4, buying in is quite common practice now even for 'quality' restaurants. There's a company that supplies slow-cooked belly of pork and other gastro-type items, and the restaurant just adds the finishing touches. Why this isn't more of a scandal I don't know!

Food Programme_Restaurants and recession

#59 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:27 PM

I went to Domalis yesterday and was dissappointed........ I had the pasta which was VERY bland, not even parmesan would do the trick..... My friend had the Laksa dish, again, far too bland - no salt at all and it simply didn't have the 'kick' you would expect....

I used to go a lot and I LOVE the place, however, not sure when I will go again, I get much better value for money at other places...

Is the owner generally at the place? I don't know who he/she is - I am quite happy to provide feedback

It would be a shame to see it go down....

...palacegirl

I'm led to believe its a lady called Alison /Alli - I could be wrong.
But even if shes not in, mentioning it to the waiting staff should atleast make the problem more apparent - maybe even mentioning that theres a good few customers on VN that have started to mention the lack luster taste /price problems.
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#60 teri267

teri267

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:03 AM

I was told that it was run by two people - Dominic and Alison - hence the name Domali.