Photo

Domali

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Café Restaurant? (108 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Café Restaurant?

1. Excellent (34 votes [31.48%])

Percentage of vote: 31.48%

2. Good (37 votes [34.26%])

Percentage of vote: 34.26%

3. Average (20 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

4. Poor (17 votes [15.74%])

Percentage of vote: 15.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 claudia

claudia

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:59 AM

has anyone approached Domali owner so they can be aware how bland everything has become... I know the chef should be tasting things before it leaves the kitchen but if by the previous posts people are saying things are being brought in from outside then maybe its in their best interests to to know all these gripes, its still one of the most individual cafes/business's we have in CP so it would be a shame to lose it!

Am I not right in thinking the manager/staff in there are rude and/or complacent? I remember reading back on the history of this post and seeing stories of people with children being asked to leave and the place closing in the middle of the day because they had been too busy and needed a break.

I would assume a place who felt they had a loyal following simply because they had a niche and had been there so long, and were happy to cut portions and raise prices without batting an eyelid, wouldn't really be the type to respond to individual feedback and probably dismiss it as a picky customer.

that's the impression I got anyway <_<

#62 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with the comments on both service and food in Domali. The menu hasn't been changed in eons and I've had some dishes there that were really not very nice at all. I think I may have said this before (too lazy to check I'm afraid) but there's a cafe near Tottenham Court Rd called First Out that does vegetarian food. They do amazing quiches and you get to choose 3 different salads to go with it, all creative and different. Why can't Domali do more of this sort of thing? Fewer bread-based offerings (how many sandwiches and toasties are there?) and more salads. The service is hit and miss. Sometimes the staff are great but then on another day my partner was told she couldn't swap the farmhouse bread for granary - what is that all about?

Having said that, people are falling out of the doors of this place every day so there's no incentive for them to change. I don't know if it's that people moan about it but go back as there's no other comparative offering, or if there are people out there who genuinely think it's the bees knees. Seems odd to me that it's always heaving but while it is I think we are stuck with 'pretend' meat rather than creative alternatives.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#63 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

.....Having said that, people are falling out of the doors of this place every day so there's no incentive for them to change. I don't know if it's that people moan about it but go back as there's no other comparative offering, or if there are people out there who genuinely think it's the bees knees. Seems odd to me that it's always heaving but while it is I think we are stuck with 'pretend' meat rather than creative alternatives.

That is the crux of the problem (for me, not them of course!) really. They are indeed pretty packed all day, but seem to thin out in the evenings - but whilst they are so packed during the day I wouldn't expect they would feel any need to change at present.

I might still pop in for a sandwich or a coffee during the day, but until choice, level of blandness and prices change in the evenings I will not be going back anytime soon. Even if they can't make things in the restaurant kitchen (and I am presuming they don't due to experience of evening meals there of late) they could still perhaps have a few key ingredients handy (e.g., spices, dried/fresh chillies, oils, vinegars etc.) in case customers would like a bit of a 'kick' to their food.

#64 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

I ordered a t shirt at the market ages ago and arranged to collect it from Domali yesterday... so, after touring the market mrs b, ma b and I decided that eating there was only fair...
I maintain that Domali is not the place for a meat loving boy like me... It was busy and we were offered the garden and accepted. I have never been in the garden before and its a lovely bolt hole
with really nice people, kids and baby and cat. We had a shared mackarel pate with perfectly and I mean perfectly toasted bread... when I say we shared, even the cat had some! That is why the bowl was so clean. In the background I saw a portion ma b's main course and started hummimg the theme from close encounters. For our main courses Ma b had a fish pie set on a pile of mash and stuff and it did look like the mountain in close encounters... and it was radioactive hot as well. She loved it...I loved it for apperance alone! Mrs b had salmon on a bed of noodles which I was allowed to sample and was very good. I had a meatless chilli which despite the missing ingredient was equally good. The girls provided the best garden based service I have seen...always available in a second but never there until needed. My t shirt was worth the wait. The meal was ended by a killer wasp...but you could not blame Domali for that...or anything else except a truly lovely experience!

Serious question. What did the cat look like?

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#65 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:32 PM

ahhhh the gorgeous tabby cat - he/shes lovely and friendly maybe too so when there's food around... i don't mind though :) ....
Mackeral pate and oiled bread IS indeed lovely...
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#66 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

ahhhh the gorgeous tabby cat - he/shes lovely and friendly maybe too so when there's food around... i don't mind though :) ....
Mackeral pate and oiled bread IS indeed lovely...

Not a small black and white?

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#67 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

Do they still put chopped onion in the mackerel pate? I ordered it once and then couldn't eat it as I detest onion (my most hated food ever, it can make me feel really ill :( ). They should say on the menu as it's quite unexpected to find mackerel pate full of onion.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#68 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:50 AM

Not a small black and white?

A missing cat?

#69 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:12 AM

A missing cat?

No. Just one that has a social life infinitely better than mine. I'm not a cat person, she belongs to my young daughter. She was rescued as a kitten from a rubbish chute in a block of flats and arrived via the RSPCA. I'm continually astonished by the reports of her travels around the neighbourhood and I suspect Domalis is one of her haunts.

#70 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:47 AM

Ive seen the black & white one too but she seems to avoid the customers/food and makes her way round the back of the haynes lane properties to catch birdies ;)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#71 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 01:31 PM

Ive seen the black & white one too but she seems to avoid the customers/food and makes her way round the back of the haynes lane properties to catch birdies ;)

Ahem, well yes. As I explained she did not have the best of starts in life.

Edited by Fang, 08 April 2009 - 01:31 PM.

#72 crobinprevallee

crobinprevallee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:45 PM

I ate there with my husband and two kids saturday lunchtime - it was fantastic - what a find! The food was really good and it had a really relaxed chilled out feel to it. It was child friendly with some good value simple kids dishes. We will definately be going again!

Edited by Nick, 27 April 2009 - 11:02 PM.
Removed quote - not needed.

#73 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

Made my first visit yesterday and it left a very favourable impression on me!

Enjoyed the coffee, accompanied by excellent cake too.

The larger meals looked good, although as a confirmed meat eater I'm not sure the 'veggie bacon' would be my cup of tea....

Will definitely return sometime in the future.

#74 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 01:07 PM

I discovered Domali on Friday, I love this place. I had really delicious scrambled eggs and salmon on brown bread and a great coffee. Can't wait to try out the garden when the weather gets a bit warmer.

#75 K_H

K_H

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:30 AM

Sorry to whinge, but I just wanted to add my name to those who find this place a disappointment. I think I visited four or five times before deciding not to go back and it amazes me every time I walk past and see it full. The staff seem to find the presence of customers rather cramps their style, and the food is just a bit bland.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why it has such a following?