Photo

Domali

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Café Restaurant? (108 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Café Restaurant?

1. Excellent (34 votes [31.48%])

Percentage of vote: 31.48%

2. Good (37 votes [34.26%])

Percentage of vote: 34.26%

3. Average (20 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

4. Poor (17 votes [15.74%])

Percentage of vote: 15.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

Sorry to whinge, but I just wanted to add my name to those who find this place a disappointment. I think I visited four or five times before deciding not to go back and it amazes me every time I walk past and see it full. The staff seem to find the presence of customers rather cramps their style, and the food is just a bit bland.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why it has such a following?

I thought the staff were really friendly and attentive. Perhaps you should go someone a bit more upmarket if you are looking for 5 star service.

#77 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:20 PM

Sorry to whinge, but I just wanted to add my name to those who find this place a disappointment. I think I visited four or five times before deciding not to go back and it amazes me every time I walk past and see it full. The staff seem to find the presence of customers rather cramps their style, and the food is just a bit bland.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why it has such a following?

I think that it is because many think it is a good place for a coffee and a natter over a sarnie during the day.

I work during the day, so only visit during evenings - where recent experiences (prices, food, portion sizes) have been disappointing (see earlier thread).

Edited by Summit Lover, 05 May 2009 - 06:21 PM.

#78 pipistrellus

pipistrellus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:26 PM

I thought the staff were really friendly and attentive. Perhaps you should go someone a bit more upmarket if you are looking for 5 star service.

To be fair to the OP, there's a difference between silver service and plain, old fashined good service. Certainly the last time I ate at Domali, our waitress gave us the impression that she had more important things to do than deal with us, or with anyone else dining, which isn't ideal in a service environment. Luckily, there was another very helpful waitress there and we somehow managed to switch.

I've had good service and rubbish service in Domali. They just need to level it out because it can be erratic.

#79 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

+1 to Pipistrellus who has hit the nail on the head. We've also had excellent and downright rude service here and I'd agree it's erratic to say the least. Nobody is asking for 5 star service, just good manners.

The place is busy because it's the only veggie cafe, has a laid back, slightly alternative vibe sometimes accompanied by good music and isn't a chain or a greasy spoon. It offers something that isn't available elsewhere in the triangle, plus it's licensed and opens in the evening. If it had some serious competition I believe it may start to struggle. If you want to go for some lunch on a Saturday afternoon but don't want the whole restaurant thing, your options are limited. We often end up in Domali as a result even though I don't even really rate the food here. Unfortunately, that means I'm part of the problem - by visiting the place I just encourage it not to bother improving :( . If a cafe with a similar vibe but better food and service opened up in the triangle though I'd be off like a shot.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#80 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:04 AM

Was here last week and had a great waiter and lovely service. Consistency is always the key...
Love The Triangle...

#81 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:58 PM

For some reason I decided that I deserved a nica healthy breakfast and although I grudge payng £7 for scambled egg with a bit of salmon in it, I persuaded myself that I was worth it! I ordered an iced coffee which I love. I drank as much of the coffee as I could whilst leaving enough to have after my food. The food arrived. Scrambled egg can be temperamental and I am sure that we hav all had tghose times when we get the ingredients in the wrong measure and the egg sort of curdles and seperates ending up floating like bits of chewy cheese in the liquid. I would not serve this up at home and I cdertainly would not expect to pay £7 for it. HOwever the coffee was lovely and inpsite of finding slushy brown bits in it which didn't seem like either egg or salmon, I persevered. I saw a friend outside and went and talked to her for about two mins. WEhen I got back my coffee had been taken away. I pointed this out to no avail. After I paid I explained about the meal and she apologised saying I should have complained before. Well we all know where that gets you! and anyway I had complained about the coffee and got nowhere! I am disgusted about the coffee and will not be returning there again ever.

#82 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

HOwever the coffee was lovely and inpsite of finding slushy brown bits in it which didn't seem like either egg or salmon, I persevered.

Slushy bits that weren't egg or salmon? Cheapskates! :P

Re Domali, loved the garden when the nippers were small but stopped going cos some staff were snitty - a shame cos others were really nice, as people have pointed out. Mind you, they did use to do a lovely muesli with millet - sounds virtuous but it was sublime.

#83 andybod

andybod

Time-zone challenged

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

Service I'd had has been generally good. I do however think that it's overpriced (over £3 for "jam on toast") and, as earlier posters have said, if it had some serious competition in the triangle (i.e. veggie café with decent music, lots of space to move around, with a simplified affordable menu, occasional events and with a gallery space that has 2 week max slots for exhibitions), I'd certainly hang out there.

Edited by andybod, 15 November 2009 - 05:27 PM.

Andy Bodycombe
Freelance Photojournalist
www.andybodycombe.com

#84 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 07:42 PM

Service I'd had has been generally good. I do however think that it's overpriced (over £3 for "jam on toast") and, as earlier posters have said, if it had some serious competition in the triangle (i.e. veggie café with decent music, lots of space to move around, with a simplified affordable menu, occasional events and with a gallery space that has 2 week max slots for exhibitions), I'd certainly hang out there.

Have you checked out the charity caf yet? Where Pizza Hut used to be. Seems to be a cheaper alternative to Domali's. As the lady who runs it said on VN somewhere that they sell vegan sausages, I guess they might have a bit of a selection of other veggie stuff to.

#85 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:36 PM

Have you checked out the charity caf yet? Where Pizza Hut used to be. Seems to be a cheaper alternative to Domali's. As the lady who runs it said on VN somewhere that they sell vegan sausages, I guess they might have a bit of a selection of other veggie stuff to.

I go in the community cafe quite a bit. Loads of room for the little 'un, good food, nice people = a winning combination. I do like Domali and think that it's improving, but getting the buggy in and out can be a real pain.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#86 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 01:51 PM

Love Domali rediscovered it this summer after a very very long absence ( not intentional) - received prompt service with a smile and good food. The hot chocolate we had there on Sunday morning - (it was packed by 10.20am) was the best we have had anywhere in a long while. Spot on Domali. And, the garden in the summer is an absolute treat.
Dislike - loud music on a Sunday morning - never sure why music is required.

#87 JamesS

JamesS

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 10:49 AM

Had Breakfast here a few times, it is expensive, the Eggs Benedict is excellent, and we have always found the service to be good.
Not sure if they use different staff for the evenings but during the day they have always been good to us.
Computer, laptop and mac repairs - silkcomputersolutions@gmail.com
Please support the Cinema for Crystal Palace campaign: Website link,Facebook group.

#88 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

Had Breakfast here a few times, it is expensive, the Eggs Benedict is excellent, and we have always found the service to be good.
Not sure if they use different staff for the evenings but during the day they have always been good to us.

I was taken to Domali last weekend, my first visit, and was impressed. Nice food at a fair price. A pudding big enough to share between the three of us. Good bottle of organic wine. And best of all, charming service from a young Nepalese waiter. No complaints at all.

#89 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:26 AM

Took a Domali virgin here for breakfast two Saturdays ago. We had a lovely time with poached eggs on toast and sides of spinach, with a white mocha each plus an (extra!) espresso for my (hardcore) friend.

We were lucky and got seated straight away - it was rammed. Lovely waitress. All was well.

#90 bullitt

bullitt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

I go because there's a really lovely waitress most times I go in. She has a fabulous smile and wonderful eyes. It's not all about the food you know, or is that just me being shallow?