Photo

Domali

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Café Restaurant? (108 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Café Restaurant?

1. Excellent (34 votes [31.48%])

Percentage of vote: 31.48%

2. Good (37 votes [34.26%])

Percentage of vote: 34.26%

3. Average (20 votes [18.52%])

Percentage of vote: 18.52%

4. Poor (17 votes [15.74%])

Percentage of vote: 15.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

No really lovely waitress today, but a charming waiter.

Had a great lunch in the garden. Menu much more varied than I remembered in the past and quality spot on - all of us really enjoyed our lunches. Yet another treasure of Crystal Palace.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#92 monkeyjoe

monkeyjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

Such an amazing restaurant for vegetarians! I went on Sunday lunchtime and the place was packed with everyone wanted to sit outside (very sunny day). I enjoyed the mushroom pate and bread and managed not to order myself one of their lovely cocktails even though I was tempted!
MonkeyJoe
Moove2London

#93 DaisyGrubber

DaisyGrubber

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:06 PM

I seem to have been going to Domali a lot recently, because it's such an easy place to go with people who all want different things. The sandwiches etc are much as they always were, but both times I've had something from the specials menu it's been absolutely superb, really excellent cooking. I'm going to have to do that more often.

#94 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 06:34 PM

Went to Domali today with some friends, one of whom is veggie but me and my other friend are committed carnivores. I'm very pleased to say that we all left feeling well fed and happy. The chips alone are worth going for.

Staff are very friendly and helpful. They came and told us there was a mix up with our order and one of our shared starters was going to come out with our mains, which we didn't mind at all, but they took it off our bill anyway.

It's not the cheapest place in the Triangle to eat, and as a meat eater I doubt I'll be a regular visitor... especially with A Torre across the road with their cheap lunch deals, but I'd definitely recommend it for veggies and carnivores who don't mind the occasional veggie dish from time to time.

#95 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:19 PM

Just been here for lunch which I do, on average, once every 2 weeks because it's predictably good. The menu has hardly ever changed and thank god cos it's just what I like. The most polite, helpful staff in the Triangle too. Yes, it's overpriced but it's a simple matter of not going in there if you don't want to pay those prices. Ditto if you can't stand babies. ;)

Edited by Hesketh, 25 January 2011 - 03:19 PM.

#96 Muffy

Muffy

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

Tried to get into this place for brunch last weekend.
However it was too busy.
It appeared to be full of families with small kids and the noise was overwelming.
Cant imagine it is a nice place to relax and chill out in at all!

Edited by Muffy, 05 March 2011 - 12:16 PM.

#97 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:25 PM

Tried to get into this place for brunch last weekend.
However it was too busy.
It appeared to be full of families with small kids and the noise was overwelming.
Cant imagine it is a nice place to relax and chill out in at all!

We stopped going in there for that very reason. We used to go in the evenings but then had a couple of disappointing (taste/presentation/price) meals so stopped going altogether. Might give it another try in the evenings at some point to see if things have improved.

#98 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 03:34 PM

We've had a couple of issues with rude staff over the years, but keep on giving it another shot... until earlier this week when there was a mix up over the special offers on offer, and a confused waitress, which left us not being able to participate in any of the offers available, and some real attitude from the waiting staff. Such surly and chippy attitude that's is really put us off, again! <_<

#99 tinpan

tinpan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:19 PM

I have posted before on this topic as the negative reviews Domali's get always surprise me. My first post back in 07 was just after I moved to the area and I said how much I enjoyed Domali's and found the staff to be really friendly. The response then was I think along the lines of "wait to you have been here a bit longer..."

4 years on and it is still my favourite place in the triangle. Of course the place isn't for everyone and the screaming babies will annoy me as much as the next person, but I continue to find the regular staff friendly and very helpful. There has been the odd occasion when the service was not up to its normal standard, but these only stand out as they have been so rare in my own experience. The food is tasty, quick and comforting and I have never been rushed off a table no matter how busy they get.

I do wish they would change the specials slightly more often and bring back the Salmon Bruschetta dish; but I cannot fault the service and can't imagine it not being a regular haunt of mine.

#100 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 06:45 PM

I'm amazed too. I've always found the staff to be absolutely friendly and courteous. I love Domali.

#101 matt-h

matt-h

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 07:00 PM

It's a perfectly OK place to eat, with friendly staff and good service, but the food is nothing special and is rather overpriced.

#102 cheerfulmusicman

cheerfulmusicman

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:26 PM

Enjoyed a nice meal here on Saturday evening, my first visit, the restaurants on the Triangle as a whole were fairly busy so we were peering through windows to check for spaces before entering so it was a slightly random destination. My choice of haddock fishcakes was good quality and a decent sized portion with chunky chips and fresh salad. Including a bottle of wine to share between us it was just over £30 all in, and the service was attentive and friendly but not rushed. The decor, lighting and pictures on the wall got the thumbs up from my more cultured companion.

#103 Abu Nuwas

Abu Nuwas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:14 PM

Enjoyed a nice meal here on Saturday evening, my first visit, the restaurants on the Triangle as a whole were fairly busy so we were peering through windows to check for spaces before entering so it was a slightly random destination. My choice of haddock fishcakes was good quality and a decent sized portion with chunky chips and fresh salad. Including a bottle of wine to share between us it was just over £30 all in, and the service was attentive and friendly but not rushed. The decor, lighting and pictures on the wall got the thumbs up from my more cultured companion.

It is my favorite by a long chalk. There are other good places, of course, but Domali seems to be the most consistently good. My family and I used to go v regularly to Joanna's in big parties, in the days when it was headed by a half-Moroccan, half this, half that bloke. Then one day, after his departure, I just wanted a snack -a not on the menu snack, an omelette. I said money was not a problem, but they would not have it. So I went somewhere else (and at the time, I had counted 43 eateriies in the Triangle) and have returned just once. It obviously suited them, and me. They did not need the business, and I did not need them. I was annoyed at the time -- but that is the beauty of choice. 

It's Monday, and I'm feeling grumpy..... <_<

Edited by Abu Nuwas, 04 February 2013 - 05:15 PM.

#104 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:30 PM

Lovely food and great ethos!

Crystal Palace Transition Town has teamed up with Domali Restaurant to present The 'Hungry Gap' Dinner - one of a number of events being held In the Triangle to celebrate and promote Fairtrade Fortnight.

Not to be missed!

7.30pm Sunday 3 March, Domali Restaurant, Westow Street

Booking essential for this one-off opportunity to savour a three course meal woven with stories of SE19-grown and Fairtrade ingredients.

The idea behind the meal is to promote a fairer deal for farmers in some of the world's poorest countries who produce the products we cannot produce ourselves, whilst showcasing what food we can produce locally even at the leanest time of year (known as the 'Hungry Gap’).

The menu will feature bread with a local story, dips made from local ingredients and Fairtrade spices, a wonderfully hearty Mushroom Bourgignon made with lashings of Fairtrade red wine, and some really exciting puds. Coffee, chocolate and a taster cocktail also included.

Please inform us if you have any dietary requirements. 

Cost £22.50 All proceeds from this fundraising dinner to Norwood Food Bank.

To register your interestemail lynn@crystalpalacetransition.org.uk by Wednesday 20 February

#105 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 01:55 PM

Tickets for this fab dinner are selling fast.

We did final tastings yesterday with chef and writer Rachel De Thample  and Alison, owner and chef of Domali, and the menu is looking and tasting delicious.

Don't miss out on a great event and for a very good cause - Norwood Foodbank.