Photo

Mehfil

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (62 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (47 votes [75.81%])

Percentage of vote: 75.81%

2. Good (9 votes [14.52%])

Percentage of vote: 14.52%

3. Average (2 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. Poor (4 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

Vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 03:14 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Mehfil
107 Church Road, Crystal Palace, London SE19 2PR

Web: not available
Email: not available
Phone: 0871 811 1463

#2 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:15 PM

Looks like I have the honour of being the first person to review Mehfil...

Having heard about this place on VN, I thought I'd treat my girlfriend to a curry and I'm really glad I did. The staff were very welcoming and attentive and were more than happy to suggest things to try. In addition to the warm welcome we were also given a glass of champagne, although I assume that this isn't a normal occurence and was something to do with them recently opening. :)

They serve both traditional popular dishes (Tikka Masala, Madras, Rogan Josh, etc) as well as dishes from their "Gourmet" menu. Both Mrs Ged and I decided to splash out and we chose from the Gourmet menu and we were both glad we did. Mrs Ged had the Dum-Ke-Murgh (which was similar to a Korma) and I had the Tiger Prawn Bhuna. Both dishes arrived quickly and were very nicely presented (fancy looking plates and everything) but most importantly they were both VERY tasty. Unlike my experience of other Indian restaurants in the Triangle, both dishes weren't swimming in oil and the flavours were very fresh and light.

I would definitely recommend Mehfil and I think it's about time we had a decent Indian restaurant in the Triangle

( :ph34r: runs and hides from Uncle Wilf and Dazza)

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:12 PM

No probs ged there is always space for quality up the Palace I did just mention to the boys that I had not tried the new cuzza house yet & 2 bottles of bangla was duly deposited on my table on the house.

Will be visiting shortly & will voice opinion asap.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:16 PM

Thanks for that encouraging review Ged, as this is my local I will be down for some tasting myself very soon.
aka Pie

#5 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 12:48 PM

It's alright Ged, I'm feeling placid and peaceful today.

Glad to hear that a new quality establishment has opened up.
I too may drop in and share my views in due course.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#6 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:46 AM

Tried out this smart new restaurant last night, and couldnít agree more with gedís comments.
Itís a real cracker. Lovely place with plenty of space and very friendly staff.
When we first entered I thought it would be a bit too upmarket for my tastes, I tend to feel out of place with a certain type of people, but being Crystal Palace thereís always the right kind of people around.
The food ? Amazing. Not a huge choice (which I like, as too many places overwhelm you with choice) but everything on the menu is extremely tempting and obviously carefully chosen.
Iím a great admirer of Palace Spice, but this is the place if you like Indian food and want something a bit more special.
As the dishes are only a couple of quid more than those at the usual Indian restaurant, its pretty good value too.
The staff wanted to provide something a little different to the usual Indian restaurant you find in most high streets, and in my mind they certainly have done. I wish them well and will certainly be going back.
Give it a goÖ
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#7 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:04 PM

I too would like to add praise for Mehfil. Food is distinct from other Asian cuisines available on the triangle, and makes a nice change (both of our dishes were quite delicious, with some unusual combinations on the menu). Interior is smart and welcoming, if slightly warm. Staff were very pleasant, and although food took a while to arrive, I'd put this down to the fact that its still new. I think they have done a great job. Prices ok too. Could have more air con to dissipate smoke, cool diners off!

#8 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:34 PM

Was also there last night and was once again impressed by the quality of food.

loplop... Although it's not obvious the menu does have a wide variety of dishes available. It says on the bottom of one of the pages that they will make any "usual" dish should you wish (Tikka Masala, Madras, Rogan Josh, etc).

Must stop going as they keep plying us with free drinks after we get the bill :D

Edited by ged, 15 August 2005 - 03:35 PM.

#9 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:43 PM

loplop... Although it's not obvious the menu does have a wide variety of dishes available. It says on the bottom of one of the pages that they will make any "usual" dish should you wish (Tikka Masala, Madras, Rogan Josh, etc).

Yeah, i saw that, ged.
i really meant the main menu.
They seemed to do good trade in takeaways, which is probably the likes of those dishes you mention.
Forgot to say earlier that the pilaou rice (with saffron strands) and naan were some of the best i've had in eons.

*** marvellous.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#10 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 05:13 PM

Another thumbs up for Mehfil - have been in there a couple of times already, tried different dishes each time and was very impressed.

#11 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 10:02 PM

Yep, I would agree with all the above. We went there for the first time tonight (Saturday) and I was surprised that there weren't more customers in, though it was still early as we left about 9 pm. The food was excellent and as already stated, quite different to the usual Indian menu. I usually gauge the quality of Indian food by their onion bhajis - although they weren't on the menu they were happy to cook some for me and they were top notch. I then had the Bengal river fish (I can't recall the name of the dish) and it was also delicious. Unusually for me I also had a pud. The staff were very friendly although a little over-zealous with the service. Unfortunately we were sitting close to a chap who seemed to want to advertise to the whole restaurant what an ignorant and loud/foul-mouthed person he was. That apart we enjoyed our visit and will definitely go back again.
aka Pie

#12 Mingusohyeah

Mingusohyeah

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 03:43 PM

Went here on Friday night with my girlfriend. Service was a bit slow, but the manager came over and explained that he was a man down and still in the throes of being a new restaurant. The food is fantastic, absolutely no complaints there. The manager offered us a complimentary drink before we left, but it was 11.30 by then and time to go home <_<

With food as good as this and at such reasonable prices I'll be back and trust that they sort the minor stuff out soon.

#13 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 12:54 PM

I've eaten there twice now - first time I had the curried lamb shank which was very tasty (if a bit greasy). Mrs L and I went again on Friday and both had the Potato Cakes and the Pheasant to start (the pheasant was excellent) and two mains off the Gourmet menu with a Courgette bhaji on the side.

A very different Goan/Bombay influenced menu which complements rather than conflicts with the menus at Gurkha Cottage and elsewhere.

I thought the food was very tasty and well presented and the service attentive. Will definitley go again

#14 JAM

JAM

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 August 2005 - 06:09 PM

I thought the setting was pleasnt enough - all very contemporary with a tank of bubbles that changes colour and white leather chairs.

Unfortunately I don't think the food lives up to the setting. In our party of four, one person had the lamb shank which was greasy, a vegetarian main was bland and one chicken dish was incredibly salty.

The service was very slow - it was a Tuesday night so not exactly their busiest night - my three fellow diners had nearly finished their drinks before my mango cooler arrived (which incidentally was absolutely wonderful - by the far the best thing I had all evening). The waiter was quite jokey about it which is fine if the joke is followed by apperance of food or drink but just irritating when followed by more waiting.

The plate on which my main course was served had a large chunk missing form one corner and I don't think large oddly shaped plates are necessarily the best idea if the tables are quite small. Finally, the lighting at the back of the restaurant is very bright so despite the new decor there is a distinct lack of ambience in that area.

Having said all that, I like the idea of it - nice setting, unusual dishes and it is still early days so this could just all be teething problems. Perhaps I'll give it another try in 6 weeks or so!
JAM

#15 Kojak

Kojak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 10:09 PM

This is my first posting to VN and I'm happy to use it to say that my experience of Mehfil was extremely good. The restaurant itself is very nicely decorated and furnished and the menu is appealing and quite different from your usual curry house. I had the lamb masala which was absolutely superb and I would be happy to eat at Mehfil again.

P.S I went with regular posters Miles and they both (probably blown their secret) enjoyed their prawn bhunas.

Edited by Kojak, 26 August 2005 - 10:11 PM.