Photo

Mehfil

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
97 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (62 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (47 votes [75.81%])

Percentage of vote: 75.81%

2. Good (9 votes [14.52%])

Percentage of vote: 14.52%

3. Average (2 votes [3.23%])

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. Poor (4 votes [6.45%])

Percentage of vote: 6.45%

Vote

#16 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:08 AM

I usually gauge the quality of Indian food by their onion bhajis - although they weren't on the menu they were happy to cook some for me and they were top notch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Since there's actually no such thing as an onion bhaji in Indian cuisine I'm not suprised they've left it off the menu! Sounds like they're going for a more authentic experience. From your reviews so far I'm looking forward to trying this place out!

Edited by belle, 05 September 2005 - 10:09 AM.

Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#17 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 10:39 AM

Had a take away on Friday. One of the best I've ever had.

#18 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 11:59 AM

Since there's actually no such thing as an onion bhaji in Indian cuisine I'm not suprised they've left it off the menu!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Belle - this may be true but the same can be said for most other Indian dishes the Brits are so fond of! I'm not sure they are trying to provide "authentic" Indian food as much as "different" Indian/Bengali food, which is equally welcome. :)

JAM - I agree about the service, it's very friendly but quite slow and OK if you're not in a rush. What did you mean by the plate having a chunk out of it? Sounds a bit odd!
aka Pie

#19 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 02:23 PM

We went on Friday and I have to agree that the service is terribly slow. I think to compensate we were given a free starter dish to keep us from starving and complementary drinks after the meal. If it hadn't been a Friday evening I might have been more concerned but with the beer flowing..............................

Slow service apart, it was a lovely evening with friendly service, a simple but unusual menu and most importantly we all really enjoyed the food. I think the food compliments the menu at the Gurkha Cottage very nicely.

I had the crab dish (delic!) to start followed by the lamb shank which if anything was slightly on the dry rather than greasy side. Pilau rice was very good. Perhaps they've been reading the comments on VN. Mes amis tucked into a couple of chicken dishes, a lamb and a beef curry. No complaints there.

Regarding the speed of service - you do sometimes wonder whether the take- away service compromises the restaurant business??

Verdict - we will definitely go there again! To be recommended.

#20 barbersfort

barbersfort

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 06 September 2005 - 10:13 PM

I went there on Sunday evening and thought it was really good. service was great and no-one flinched when we ordered tap water!

Food was very good and also had a complimentary starter

Would def.go again......

#21 JGX

JGX

• Sponsors
  • 316 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 08:54 PM

Mrs JGX and I have just got back from Mehfil tonight and we both thought it thoroughly superb. There's no doubt it's a cut above your usual curry house (a little more pricey than The Gurkha Cottage but worth it) with some superb dishes on the menu with a 'disclaimer' at the bottom saying that they'll rustle up anything that you want that's not on the menu (in my case, probably the best chicken tikka rogan I've ever had). . .

Anyway, we'll both be back, especially as it's only a short walk from JGX Towers. . . :D

JGX

#22 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 01:01 PM

We went again on Sat night and it was again a great meal. I had the large prawns in sesame seeds to start, then I fancied something veggie for the main course but there wasn't a vegetarian main course on the menu; however they made up a tandooried vegetable dish for me which was delish. We also got freebie mini-fishcakes in between courses. The puds look really nice too but I have yet to manage one to myself after 2+ courses.
aka Pie

#23 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:30 PM

We went on Sunday and were also given the freebie mini fishcake things. I had a bengali fish dish which was very tasty. As usual the staff were very friendly and the food was superb

#24 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 03:38 PM

They don't do haloumi though, do they? :(

I've also been and enjoyed it.

#25 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 02 October 2005 - 09:26 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen, the rules have changed for Indian restaurants on the triangle! Just got back from Mehfil and the food was gorgeous but above all challenging.

The menu is quite clever in that it assumes your learned experiences of dishes such as bhuna, jalfrezi and masala, saying that they can do all these "traditional" dishes in small print. However, they present an extensive menu of more unusual dishes in full.

So, where as I may have been tempted to have a chicken madras in the past, I instead had a Masala Roast Lamb Shank... there could have been more of it, but it was succulent and tasty.

The place has been really well done out, so much so that it took Mrs Elmo to point out that I was actually in the old Meze House... I didn't realise! Wine was probably taking hold by this point...

All in all, make sure you try it. I'm sure if you do, you'll love it. ;)
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#26 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 08:15 AM

I presume this wasn't one of your "under a tenner on the triangle" nights out though Elmo, especially if you were knocking back the wine on top ?
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#27 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 10:47 AM

Erm... no! Was a thank you from the wife for helping her out with a teacher's 'threshold assessment' form...

I accepted with much thanks!
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#28 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:57 PM

They don't do haloumi though, do they? :(

I've also been and enjoyed it.

They might if you asked! Imagine haloumi cooked in the tandoor oven - sounds great. I shall be enjoying some myself next week in Cyprus...
:rolleyes:
aka Pie

#29 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 12:51 PM

soft shell crab in massala sauce - yummy! :)

#30 fluffyloveheart

fluffyloveheart

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 10:31 AM

yum yum yummety yum yum! Been here a couple of times and love it, nice staff, stylish decor (although something inside me yearns for bad lighting and flock wallpaper) and best of all really good quality tasty food.
Fluffyloveheart