• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Helen

Helen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 02:49 PM

I am getting quite into knitting and am running out of the wool donated by my Mum. Does anyone know of a wool shop either locally or in town?

#2 lucysmith

lucysmith

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 810 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 03:03 PM

You used to be able to buy wool in Morleys dept store in Brixton as they had a bit of haberdashery dept. Since they moved all the women's clothes upstairs, I am not sure if they still do. Most department stores would sell wool. You could try House of Fraser or Allders in Croydon.

#3 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 04:58 PM

There's still a small haberdashery department there, but I don't know about wool - I was looking for sewing stuff. Does John Lewis still have wool? Their sewing department has certainly dwindled to near nothingness.
Rachel
My link

#4 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 05:45 PM

Yep, John Lewis still do wool but it's relatively expensive. (don't ask me how I know this)

A quick search on google brought up a shop called "Knitters Kneeds" in Croydon

Knitters Kneeds
2a Derby Road
Croydon
Surrey
CR0 3SY
020 8681 0661

#5 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:30 PM

John Lewis in Oxford Street and Peter Jones are both fine if you want fancy, expensive yarns (as I discovered when I had a brief crochet moment in the winter)but I suspect Knitters' Kneeds is much better across the range. I didn't know the shop still existed - when it disappeared from its old site near West Croydon station I assumed it was defunct.

#6 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:28 AM

Is Knitters Kneeds still there? - last time I went there it was only opening on weekdays, not Saturday or Sunday - but was quite marvellous...

Is there still the craft shop in Maple Road (Penge High Street end) that sells wool (among other things) - when I was making wigs it was the only place to get textured wool like boucle... I've not made wigs for a while, or been to that bit of Penge, but recall someone saying it had closed, or moved... Does anyone else know?

One of my friends in Hayes recommended Bunty's wools - used to be part of the Daniel Department Store in West Ealing (http://www.bunty-wool.co.uk). There's also a newish wool shop in Islington called Loop (http://www.loop.gb.com/) - I've not found anyone I know who has actually been there, but looking at their website, they may be a little pricey (but how can you resist such lovely yarns?)...

Many years ago when we were poor & obsessive knitters, we used to buy knitted garments at jumble sales, unpick them, wash the wool (you unpick into hanks done round either chair legs or a willing child's arms, then wash, dry & wind into balls) & re-use... But this might be going a bit too far for you, Helen!

#7 Helen

Helen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:50 AM

Thats quite a tip! I will be checking out Knitters Kneeds and the weekend.

#8 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:56 AM

Is there still the craft shop in Maple Road (Penge High Street end) that sells wool (among other things) - when I was making wigs it was the only place to get textured wool like boucle...  I've not made wigs for a while, or been to that bit of Penge, but recall someone saying it had closed, or moved...  Does anyone else know?

Sadly that shop closed down some time ago. I used to go there for the cheapest fabrics and other odds and ends. :(
aka Pie

#9 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 09:15 AM

I didn't think of it before, but the Wimbledon Sewing Machine Centre (confusingly, in Balham) stocks wool. Their range isn't huge but their prices are good. There's also a very basic selection - mainly baby wool - at the Adarshi Pharmacy on Norwood Road, SE27.

#10 Helen

Helen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 August 2005 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for the tips guys - I looked at yell.com and there is a wool shop called Brenda's Wool in Forest Hill which I am going to check out

#11 DaisyGrubber

DaisyGrubber

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 September 2005 - 04:58 PM

Sheila's in Beckenham has a good range of the cheaper type of wool. Wimbledon Sewing Machine Company, Morley's and Allders less so. I'd be interested to know of anywhere locally that does the posher types though. As well as John Lewis, Liberty's has a good posh wool department.

Edited by DaisyGrubber, 14 September 2005 - 05:00 PM.

#12 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:28 AM

I went to Brenda's Wools in Honor Oak on Saturday and discovered it's not there anymore. However, while crocheting on the train (yes, I really do crochet on the train. I have no shame), I got chatting to an man who's been knitting for 25 years (and he proudly showed me his knitted jumper with a big marijuana leaf on the front) and he tells me he gets all his wool from Brixton. I can't believe what a nightmare I've had trying to find somewhere locally! Or even in London at all!

Oh, and I forgot to say, I came across this website selling Crystal Palace Yarns. Shame you can't actually get them in CP, but never mind.

Edited by belle, 21 November 2005 - 09:30 AM.

Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#13 miss emma

miss emma

Crafting whizz

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 24 May 2007 - 09:48 PM

well me and my mum either get our wool from bromley market (only open on thursdays) but thats a bit pricey, or new addington market (i think its tuesdays and thursdays but im not positive) and thats easy to get to by car, bus or tram
Gorgeous gifts handmade in SE19, The 39 Stitches

#14 katsku

katsku

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:12 PM

I buy mine online. I was frustrated with the quality you get in some shops (like the pharmacy in West Norwood: none of the yarn they sell is actually *wool* and most of them have no natural fibres at all) and found this a much better way. The only trouble is that you can't be absolutely sure of the colours unless you order a sample. The one I've been most pleased with is http://www.englishyarns.co.uk/ There's also one in Bromley where they have clubs and classes: http://www.knitshop.co.uk/

#15 smallB

smallB

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 04 June 2007 - 07:27 PM

There's a proper old fashioned wool shop in Vauxhall which admittedly is a bit of a trek away. They do have a website tho, linked here iknit