• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#31 NickJ

NickJ

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:09 AM

I have no idea how Bandlish's prices compare to other practices ...

All practices charge the same for NHS work:
  • Band 1: £17 includes an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish and planning for further treatment.
  • Band 2: £47 includes all treatment covered by Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).
  • Band 3: £204 includes all treatment covered by Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

#32 Palacegirl

Palacegirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

hmm.. I didn't want to get involved but my experience (many many years ago) at this dentist left me 'mentally scarred' for years... I went there with a broken rib so was already in severe pain trying to sit down on the dentist chair.

The guy then attempted a root canal treatment without the necessary injections - i remember his words : if you work with me we can do this without.....

The pain was so enourmous that I jumped up in my seat, then was hit by the pain of my broken rib and fainted....

I then received a PRIVATE bill rather than an NHS rate - I didnt' pay it....

It took me many years to get over my fear of dentists - I ended up with a new dentist in Canary Wharf who told me that these days a dentist visit should no longer be painful! And guess what, I am going to 6monthly check ups these days, have not had any pain or any issues. Things are explained properly and they are so reassuring.
..supporting the triangle and freedom of speech.....

#33 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:04 PM

If you can afford it Private is the only way to go

I use Whitgift Dental paractice in the Whitgift Centre they have several schemes you can join which includes regular check ups & hygienist visits.

As much as I hate the dentist regular checks up are the way to go, Allways makes me laugh when you hear people say they havent been for years but evey time they do go it hurts & cost £100s of pounds !

Remember you get 1 set of Gnashers !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#34 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Well... You get two, but the first lot have a habit of disappearing quite early in a cloud of pain and visits from the tooth fairy!
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#35 adl999

adl999

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:14 AM

Another vote for Lancaster House Dental Surgery in South Norwood. I had been traumatised by a previous dentist drilling a tooth when the anaesthetic hadn't kicked in and had avoided any dentist for 13 years - despite a number of fillings falling out / holes appearing / molars rotting!!! Yes - my previous experience was that bad!!

Also in the intervening years, I had heard of calls of dentists refusing NHS patients, and insisting everyone went private - which did not encourage me to see a dentist until one tooth got very painful.

In late Nov 2010, I gave in and called Lancaster House as I drive past every day and they had a new sign outside "Accepting NHS Patients" - I had tried a dentist near where I work in Horsham who said there was a 4 month wait for new NHS patients!!

I registered as an NHS patient at LH on Friday evening, with an appointment at 10am the next day. I got treatment (2 extractions and a few fillings) within 3 days (with pain relief prescribed in between) - this was during the heavy snow we had that Winter and I was the only patient that made it to the surgery that morning. The dentist I saw at the time was just qualified (but supervised by the practice manager for the root extraction). As the practice is in Croydon, and I live just over the boundary in Bromley, she had to refer me to a dental hospital - Mayday also in Croydon?!?!? - for another complex extraction, but I cancelled that referred appointment, as I couldn't make the date.

When I went back for my next checkup, the previous dentist had left and I saw Dr Yogesh Patel - a very friendly and professional young man - he fixed the tooth that was due to be extracted at Mayday there and then. Since then I have had no hesitation in going to LH and seeing Dr Y Patel - I always feel at ease when visiting him for a check up or a problem. On my last visit, he extracted a small wisdom tooth which had become loose and painful and he did this during the check up and did the work privately and charged me LESS than the standard NHS charge would be!!

Highly recommended. I'm actually looking forward to getting my remain amalgam fillings replaced on my next visit!!