22 replies to this topic

#16 lauriesmb

lauriesmb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

:) Hi Wilf,
My grandfather had a scrapyard in Hawthorne road when i was a kid in late 1950's, and i clearly remember him showing me some chunks of metal, ie cylinders and other stuff, that he used to tell me came from the train that ran under Crystal Palace park! I remember this story quite well, and as far as i remember, he had something to do with disposing of a lot of the related items to this railway etc?
I am currently looking for anyone with any connections to my family in penge/Anerley as i lost touch with them all when my stepfather moved us away from London in the early 60's, but just reading through some of the posts and seeing yours, it was odd that it was something that my grandfather was connected to!!
not much help to you, but at least you know you are not nuts!!
regards

laurie

#17 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:40 PM

at least you know you are not nuts!!

Can you honestly say this, my avuncular friend? :P :lol:

I too, heard a story of a buried train when I were a lad. It was told to a group of us on a (possibly a Foundation) walk and if memory serves, this particular story related to a train buried somewhere beneath the water tower at the Anerley hill end. We were exploring the base of the tower at the time so I may be slightly muddled but there's definitely a train buried somewhere.

Edited by jannism, 09 November 2006 - 02:51 PM.

#18 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:14 PM

Many thanks for the reassurance Laurie.

I had thought they'd been contacting me through my kettle again.... :ph34r:

And a very interesting angle on it.

I didn't know the location was so specific either.....
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#19 lauriesmb

lauriesmb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

:blink: [font=Comic Sans Ms][size=4]Hi wilf,
I know from what my gradfather told me that the train isnt buried in Crystal palace, it was at one point but i clearly remember him telling me it was pulled out of the ground and broken up, thats how he came to have quite a bit of it in his scrapyard. I only remember it so well because my gran and grandad used to argue over this subject whenever i asked him about it, simply because my gran said he spent too much tim,e doing that at the time than taking her out! Funny what you remember isnt it? i clearly remember standing in my grans scullery helping her to shell peas for sunday dinner! I just wish i could find some of my family again now to see who is left and what they are doing.

regards

laurie

PS. So is your kettle a medium or spirit guide? I have a talking toaster, so maybe the electrical goods are trying to communicate!

Can you honestly say this, my avuncular friend? :P :lol:

I too, heard a story of a buried train when I were a lad. It was told to a group of us on a (possibly a Foundation) walk and if memory serves, this particular story related to a train buried somewhere beneath the water tower at the Anerley hill end. We were exploring the base of the tower at the time so I may be slightly muddled but there's definitely a train buried somewhere.

Hi, i see you are in Somerset! did you know jesus lived there as a kid? I met him once when we were both playing truant from school, he's a *** for cream cakes.
lots a love
laurie

ps. Wookey hole? man or myth? he he!

#20 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:05 AM

Oh fair enough.... I had heard various stories and was intrigued at the notion of an in-tact train somewhere in subterranean Crystal Palace....

My kettle is used by various shady international organisations to warn me about alien landings and times of day when the walls will start closing in. :ph34r:
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#21 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:53 AM

I'd like to think that when they dug up the train, they missed a bit.

I cannot say for sure whether Jesus ever lived on the isle of Avalon, but my postie moves in mysterious ways. :blink:

As for Wookey Hole, a witch lived there for many years and was eventually turned to stone by wizards or something. The caves are now also home to dinosaurs and a full-sized King Kong...

#22 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 02:17 PM

I read this thread right after getting caught up on the Tramlink discussion (in News & Current Issues), and couldn't help being struck by some similarities. Could we use the history of an experimental railway in the park to argue for an avante-garde, demonstration of state-of-the-art, fusion of design-and-function tramlink in the park's future plans? Could we get them to do something really cool, e.g. almost underground so you wouldn't see much of the tramline, so we could vegetate the verges, screen the park from road noise, get the tram off the roadways, make a linked-up transport plan with a hub at the CP Triangle?

#23 mrmilk

mrmilk

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:55 PM

Theres a good site that has lots of info on closed stations and lines. Check out www.disused-stations.org.uk Beware! You can end up spending hours looking on this one. There's a link on the page to Subterranea Britannica. That has lots of photos of dissused tube stations and air raid shelters. It includes Thatcher's hideaway nuke bunker - Pear Tree House in Gypsy Hill. It's fun to see what's down there!