Odd Jobber / Handyman

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rowena_*

Guest_Rowena_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:34 AM

I have lots of little DIY/"odd jobs" around my house which need doing, and which I have tried and failed to sort out myself. This includes things like putting up a curtain rail in a bay window (it keeps falling down!) and fixing or replacing the door bell, but I have no idea how to find someone to do such things for me. In the past, I have used friends from where I used to live, but that only works if you also have some big jobs for them to do, to make it worth while to pay them for their travel, too!

Suggestions, anyone?

#2 Guest_Rowena_*

Guest_Rowena_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:44 AM

Within 10 minutes of posting that request for advice, it had received 10 views, which is pretty impressive, I think :)

I hope you weren't all too disappointed when you found out it was just Ro having a bit of a pathetic trawl for help again! :blink:

#3 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 10:57 AM

www.fix-itman.co.uk/

This guy has made an appearance on VN before. I have used him and he is very professional and friendly.

#4 Guest_Rowena_*

Guest_Rowena_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2005 - 11:08 AM

Great, thanks. I have emailed him.

Oh - I just spotted that, in fact, I put this thread in the wrong forum.

Sorry about that. I wasn't paying enough attention! It worked, though :)

Edited by Rowena, 09 September 2005 - 11:14 AM.

#5 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 09 September 2005 - 02:59 PM

And behold, by moderators magic, it has been moved to the correct place.... :)

#6 Bee

Bee

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:26 PM

My other half also does decorating/odd jobs. He's on nico@ghirlando.co.uk if you're interested. Bee

#7 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 12:52 PM

Actually, we're still looking for someone to paint the outside of our house. I'd be interested to get a quote from Nico as he expressed an interest when I mentioned it on here a month or two back. I'll drop him an email about it.

Cheers,

Mel
Mel, Forum Moderator

#8 Bee

Bee

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 12:29 PM

Good stuff, Mel. He'd still be interested and he is very good (but I am obviously biased!). Bee

#9 Guest_Rowena_*

Guest_Rowena_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2005 - 03:17 PM

I wasn't counting the painting of the outside of my house as an odd job, actually, although it does, indeed, need doing! I was going to leave it until the spring (like I did last year), but I might just get Nico to give me a quote...

#10 Bee

Bee

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 12:42 PM

I know what you mean about painting the outside of your house not seeming like an odd job! Nico can do a wide range of things - from hanging pictures to work in the garden to painting and decorating. Do email him if you'd like a quote.

#11 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 03:40 PM

This recommendation has appeared in our workplace intranet site - I hasten to add I have not used his services but it could be a useful contact (East Dulwich area judging by the phone number)-

Are you in need of someone to finish all those DIY jobs?
Do you need a painter, decorator, tiler or kitchen/bathroom fitter?

Then I know just the man!

My good friend Jake is available for any of these jobs and is contactable on 0208 6930806. No Job too small!

aka Pie

#12 Hedgehog11

Hedgehog11

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:31 AM

www.fix-itman.co.uk/

This guy has made an appearance on VN before. I have used him and he is very professional and friendly.

I contacted Fix-it Man a few days ago about a visit to SE19 to fit curtain rails. Unfortunately the reply was: "Unfortunatley we do not have a Fix-it Man covering your area".

#13 LauraH

LauraH

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:01 AM

Hi I am looking for an odd job man that could do the following jobs on my small bathroom for a reasonable price:

- paint the walls and ceiling
- re do some of the grouting on some of my tiles
- fix my bathroom light

Please let me know if you can recommend someone suitable.

Many thanks,
Laura

#14 Katie

Katie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 01:26 PM

Fixit-Man is now active in south London and so I thought this might be of interest:

FANTASTIC SPRING OFFER ...
Fix-it Man runs a team of smartly uniformed, courteous and efficient handymen who can fix any DIY problem you have in your home, office or garden.
You are entitled to a fabulous Spring offer of a 10 discount for any job booked over an hour long until May 30th 2007. Please mention "Spring Offer" when you book!
This is a fabulous opportunity to get your home ready for the Summer - any paintings that need putting up, garden fence that needs fixing, curtains need hanging? No job is too small!
Appointments are made for a specific time slot so there's no waiting around and they work in half hour increments so you only pay for the time it takes to get the work done.
With no call out charge, no demands for tea and biscuits, a promise to tidy up before they leave and satisfaction guaranteed, you will wander how you ever existed without us!

'My experience of Fix-It Man was fantastic from start to finish. The guys were so professional and helpful I felt confident and assured that the job would be done quickly and efficiently. My expectations were far exceeded and I was delighted with the work that was done. A truly great company that rises above it's competitors on all counts'
Clare Davies, Mail on Sunday

We look forward to being of service to you!

Do not delay call Fix-it Man today:
T: 020 8374 5682
E: helpme@fix-itman.co.uk
W: www.fix-itman.co.uk

#15 HMG

HMG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:06 AM

Having found this thread, we had Chris from Mr Fix-It in yesterday to sort out our kitchen - rehang a few cupboard doors, redo the 'edging' along the floor, fix up some other tired bits and tighten the taps in bathroom.

Happy to report that he was great - v. hard working and did a really good job!

So thanks for the suggestion/recommendation :D

PS. we're in SE27