• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 12:06 PM

Does anyone know of any good carper fitters or local shops that they can recommend. I want to avoid Carpets R Us type places. Thanks

#2 croesus

croesus

• Sponsors
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:35 PM

I think this question ought to be moved to the Household Services section of the forum.

I used Carpetman in Wandsworth about 3 years back. They had a good, varied stock, and the fitters did a great job.

#3 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 16 September 2005 - 01:39 PM

Good spot.

Moved.

#4 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 02:26 PM

Thanks for the tip. I don't go that way very often but sounds like it's worth a special trip.

#5 anopheles

anopheles

Anopheles

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:58 PM

From the CPCA magazine of some time ago I had kept a page with the odd recommendation on it. Once I could afford to replace the hideous stair carpet we inherited with the house and John Lewis had supplied a splendid Clearance Bargain deal in just what I wanted, I returned to the aforesaid page. Alan of AGM Carpets (0208-771-1231) or mobile 0795-655-6440 had already measured the area to be carpeted to keep wastage to a minimum (useful, this) and as the recommendation put it "he works fast and is very focused, but friendly and not expensive." Although I had never used his good offices before he squeezed me in on the morning of the day he was going on holiday 'so that I wouldn't have the inconvenience of having the carpet lying around.' I was speechless, but grateful, and delighted with the job. I cannot recommend him highly enough.
:D Anopheles

#6 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

I'd actually recommend Allders in Croydon. They supply and fit and generally their sales are excellent. They recently carpeted 4 rooms for us . We got the carpet at 50% off (about £1500 off the usual price) so we were able to stretch the budget to the top end of the range. The fitters were really helpful. I've used them in the past and the other benefit is that their aftercare service is also good.

The only point to watch for is that their fitters , like many others, charge to move furniture and the charge is a stunning £25 per item so it's best if you can empty the room yourself of all items except those which can be shunted around as they fit.

Edited by jamesl, 01 November 2006 - 01:48 PM.

#7 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 11:51 AM

I was quite happy with Iles of Norbury. No complaints about the fitters who were fast and efficient. Price? Well happy enough at the time but didn't compare with Allders...

#8 miles

miles

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 01:41 PM

EJ Carpets in Forest Hill are very good. We had upstairs done in July, and I was amazed by the choice of carpets for a local shop. The price of the fitting is included in the price of the carpet, so it is quite easy to get an idea of how much it is going to cost even before the quote. The best thing was that the lead times are very short; they came to quote and fitted within about two weeks. My only complaint would be a few chipped skirting boards, but I guess that's inevitable.

#9 VKJ

VKJ

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:53 PM

If anyone needs carpets fitting or estimates, I know someone who does a very professional job and very good prices (this is his trade). He has recently carpeted my house.

#10 tomh

tomh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:24 AM

If anyone needs carpets fitting or estimates, I know someone who does a very professional job and very good prices (this is his trade). He has recently carpeted my house.

I'd be interested as I'm looking for a good, reliable carpet fitter.

cheers
--
tom

#11 VKJ

VKJ

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 01:45 PM

Sorry, was meant to have put his name and mobile down previously!! His name is Dave, Tel 07939 158822.

#12 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:16 PM

Hello all. about to start looking for some carpets for house we're renovating - we're keen on the natural flooring options such as sisal, jute etc as opposed to wool carpeting (although we might need some wool carpet as well). i wondered if anyone had any recent experiences with local or online companies. so far we've been to floorzone in sydenham which supply the likes of kersaint cobbs and the alternative flooring company - very nice but a bit out of budget. we're looking for natural for the stairs (runner style) and landing and wool for bedrooms, possibly. recommendations / tips gratefully received.
thanks

#13 belo

belo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:43 AM

We have just used Alan of AGM Carpets 0208-771-1231 who was excellent. He fitted in us at short notice and was flexible, friendly and polite. Thank you for that recommendation.

#14 Bovine Juice

Bovine Juice

Beer bockle botherer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

Just used E Carlton & Son (206 Kent House Road Tel: 020 8776 9911) to supply and fit stair carpets for us. Did a cracking job and the carpet's lovely. Highly recommended. The dad used to run a place in the triangle for a couple of decades up till a few years ago but had to relocate because the parking became a nightmare for dropping off the products.

#15 philredman

philredman

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:06 PM

We have just used Alan of AGM Carpets 0208-771-1231 who was excellent. He fitted in us at short notice and was flexible, friendly and polite. Thank you for that recommendation.

We too used Alan of AGM to lay carpet tiles in our centre. Alan and his staff worked all day to get the job done. Highly recommended.
Phil