Floor Sanding

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
31 replies to this topic

#16 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 02:52 PM

ear protection, googles and face mask are a must!

Looks like you've got t'internet fatigue, Weeble...

Having sanded many floors in the past I'll offer this advice: If your boards have a lot of paint on them and provided the cost differential isn't huge - get someone in. Painted floorboards will haunt you forever (in particular the edger which weighs about 15kg and gets a mind of its own when covered in a thick layer of freshly-sanded paint - I went through so many edger discs I had to go and get more last time).

If they're just tired and manky-looking and the cost difference is large - do it yourself. It can be hard work but it's immensely satisfying and when you're done you get the added bonus of showing off that you did it all yourself.

And don't forget to pull out or hammer down any rogue metal - nails, staples and even large wooden splinters will rip the sanding sheet to bits and scare you half to death. Not to mention the possibility of spontaneously combusting the bag of sawdust with a large spark! (although I hasten to add I've yet to manage this even with some hefty sparks)

It really doesn't take long once you get going (and providing your boards aren't coated in paint) but you will find sawdust for months afterwards

Edited by jannism, 23 September 2005 - 02:58 PM.

#17 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 23 September 2005 - 04:59 PM

Ah yes, I forgot about the fear of spontaneous combustion. I was slightly paranoid about this!! Doesn't even need a spark - the sawdust can just go whoomph! (so I've heard) :o

From experience, I would also recommend avoiding sanding over the power cable... :blink:

#18 Steve Palmer

Steve Palmer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:45 PM

There's actually no requirement for us to have the floor soundproofed since we are groundfloor

Which floor you are on isn't important, if the floor seperates you from a neighbour and you make a material alteration to it then the regulations apply. I cannot tell you whether you are proposing a material alteration since I don't know exactly what you are proposing.

Anyway, my point really is that you asked how "effective" soundproofing is so I reffered you to the building regulations which contain objective measures of effectiveness, that is the ability to reduce the transmission of sound. The approved document also contains information on various methods of reducing the transmission of sound which you may find useful.

If the floor seperates you from your neighboiur who has an interest of one year or more then it is a Party Structure and if you are going to do work to it then you must serve (2 months from memory) notice under the Party Wall Etc, Act 1996 and unless the adjoining owner consents to the work in writing within 14 days of the notice then a dispute under the Act will have arisen in which case surveor/s appointed under section 10 of the Act must resolve the dispute before you can proceed.

I have no doubt that any soundproofing will be notifiable, since the only place any accoustic insulation products can be placed is within below the floorboards.

If there are resrictive covenenants saying that you must have carpets or something similar then being the freeholder does not absolve you from complying with them. They are there for the benefit of your neighbour (I am assuming your neighbour is a long leasseholder ratherthan someone renting from you on a weekly/monthly basis).

I can only tell you that it is all too common to find people who genuinely think they have a right to do something later discover they did not have that right and costly litigation ensues. Your local building control officer will be able to advise about the building regs, if you are going to change anything below your floorboards you will be doing work that requires notice under the Party Wall Act, and please please do look at your deeds and the adjoining owners lease. If there is anything in there saying what you can or can't do, must or must not do, then if you have any doubt get advice from a solicitor.

Edited by Steve Palmer, 24 September 2005 - 12:52 PM.

#19 belle

belle

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:08 AM

Thanks for all your experiences of doing the floors, guys. I think we may have to be less lazy and do it ourselves. We're now thinking of ways to bribe our friends into helping us shift all our stuff out.
Dork Adore - the ultimate haven for geeks!

#20 keitha

keitha

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:43 PM

We need to get our floors sanded - we will not be doing the job ourselves. Does anyone have a recent recommendation of a firm that can do the job?

#21 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:26 PM

hi there - we just hired from this company but they couldnt be more helpful - this was 2 years ago but maybe give them a call and see what their prices are etc....

http://floorsanderhire.com/Sanding.htm
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#22 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

We have just done ours ourselves. If it is a parquet or "strip" floor (where there are virtually no seams between the boards) it just needs to have a "finishing sander". If you have conventional floorboards it will need to have a drum sander which makes quite a lot of dust (even though there is an extraction system) - they are not that easy to use. It would be worthwhile talking to Focus Plant on Gypsy Hill. They not only hire out sanders but they can also put you in touch with individuals who will do the job for you (though it is quite expensive). Be sure to use a good quality water-based varnish (applied with a roller) to seal the suface.

#23 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:13 AM

I am about to have mine done by this chap:

Sanded Floors

but not until the 16th April. If you still haven't arranged for anyone to do it by then, I can let you know how it goes. I have high hopes... What made him appeal especially was that he fills in cracks with wood rather than a sawdust and glue conncoction, which I gather can eventually shrink and drop through. He also does all the work himself.
Rachel
My link

#24 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:49 PM

I have just had my bedroom floor sanded and would without hesitation recommend the company/person who did it.

It looks beautiful! When Peter took the carpet up, we discovered that there were some modern replacement planks, but he made these blend in, and you have to look hard to find them. He also filled in all the gaps with strips of wood. He was very considerate, left no mess and there is very little, if any dust.

This is Peter's web site
Sanded Floors
Rachel
My link

#25 keziahthomas

keziahthomas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 10:12 AM

Any recommendations? I've tried a few companies in the Yellow Pages and none of them have even returned my call! Shocking!

#26 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:45 PM

I really like the website recommended by Rachelf. It gives you enough info to potentially do this yourself, or know someone can rescue you if not. The price for having it done for you, however, is not cheap! 33/m2!

#27 peggysue

peggysue

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:10 PM

Hello - does anyone have any recent recommendations for floor sanding? Thanks.

#28 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

I'm just wondering if any-one has paid some-one to sand and stain their floors in 2009/2010 and might be able to recommend them? Cheers.

#29 Molly

Molly

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:59 AM

After using Nick Carter of Carter Bespoke Flooring I do not recommend him or his company.

#30 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

I don't know if Peter still does this, but it looks like he does

Peter Weller

He did a fantastic very meticulous job.

He filled in all the cracks with slithers of wood and replaced planks that weren't up to scratch, so to speak. The result looked so good we never got round to putting a rug on it. He also left absolutely no mess - no dust anywhere.

3 years ago, but I am sure he is no less good now:
Dear Rachel,
Updated quote for bedroom floor.

Room size 14.98 sq.m.
Fill gaps, sand + 3 coats of varnish. £599.

Regards

Peter
0208 653 6283

Not cheap but honestly it was worth it. I just hope our tenants haven't trashed it!

Edited by RachelF, 29 June 2010 - 11:12 AM.

Rachel
My link