Photo

Fox Hill B & B

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: Fox Hill Bed and Breakfast (8 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This B&B?

1. Excellent (1 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. Good (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Average (0 votes [0.00%])

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 October 2005 - 04:48 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Bed and Breakfast

Fox Hill B&B
24 Fox Hill
London SE19 2LB

Phone: 020 8768 0059 Sue Haigh
Web: http://www.foxhill-bandb.co.uk/
Email: suehaigh@hotmail.co.uk

First Floor - Rate £50 per person per night
Top floor - Rate £50 per person per night
Top floor Twin room - Rate £40 per person per night

Bookings can be daily or weekly and we do ask for a deposit of 10% payable direct or by credit card online via ‘PayPal.com’

All rooms include:

Breakfast - Full English or Continental - with homemade bread, jams, and marmalade. Dinner can be arranged at £25 for three courses with wine and coffee.

We offer broadband access to the Internet which many of our visitors have found helpful. Smokers are not encouraged (except perhaps in the garden).

Parking is free. With prior notice, we are happy to collect and deliver visitors to the station. A car with driver for sightseeing and shopping can be provided and airport transfers are easily arranged with the local cab firm.

Children are welcome and are treated as adults. Pets are also welcomed via prior arrangement

European.vote - EU Referendum

#2 lschindler

lschindler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 01:22 AM

I'm so happy to see this option on here. I stay at this B&B everytime I go to London. Looking forward to my 4th visit from the states. It is very warm, like coming home. Very comfortable, I'm talking beds, rooms, food, tea, and the company, like being wrapped in a safe cocoon!!
The first time my cousin and I visited London was Sept. 10th, 2001, so our first full day in London was Sept. 11th. Tim and Sue were so caring, making sure that we could contact our family, making sure that we knew how to get where we were going and getting back again. They made sure that a car was at Heathrow to pick up my mother in-law when her plane was delayed a few days because of the tragedy and we were in Sussex at a family reunion. I don't know many inn keepers that would be that helpful!
You might think that it was because of the extreme circumstances, but not so. They are just very nice people and treat everyone with caring and respect. They are interesting, and funny, and they can make a great breakfast.
Also, the house is wonderful without being fussy. It doesn't look like a showroom but more like a family home with all the comforts, interesting family photos, books, collections from their extensive travels, etc.
It's not boring, but it is relaxing.

#3 John Hutchison

John Hutchison

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 05:37 AM

My wife & I stayed at Fox Hill in Sept '05 for 5 nights & had a great time. I was aprenhensive about staying so far out of London proper but it was great! Got to see some sights & resturants that none of our friends will ever hear about. Sue & Tim are fantastic people to stay with & after a bit you keep wanting to stay & visit with them rather than visit London. I kept saying we need to go "home".

#4 ally

ally

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:09 AM

The picture of the dog would encourage me to recommend it to people as a place to stay!
dog lovers thats is...

Great to know there is somewhere like that for visitors to stay near us.

#5 nico

nico

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:34 PM

I know Fox hill, fantastically lovely street and for anyone who wants to see Pissaro's tree, it's opposite. Beautiful house too, I would recommend staying here for sure.

#6 seamus

seamus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 07:20 PM

:) We stayed with Sue and Tim during the time our flat was flooded and we can't recommend the place highly enough. Great hospitality, lovely food, relaxing garden and comfortable surroundings. The house is a treasure trove of beautiful things and then there is the lovely Shreddie! I think pictures of Shreddie helped make up our minds to stay there, but equally the pictures alert people who are allergic to dogs or of a nervous disposition that there is a dog in the house. I had my birthday there and what could have been a miserable experience was in fact a brilliant one because of the kindness and thoughtfulness of Sue and Tim! Great place.

#7 Guest_Rowena_*

Guest_Rowena_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:09 AM

I just had a look at the website, as somewhere to send my parents next time they visit (and save me from not only having to spring clean the house, but move out of my bedroom!), but 50 quid per person is a lot of money for a B&B, so I will keep looking...

#8 alexgs

alexgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:40 PM

This is an incredibly welcoming and lovely place to stay. Delicious food, and fabulous hosts who are always relaxed and friendly - even Shreddie the dog! It's also only about 7 minutes walk to the station.

#9 eyedropper

eyedropper

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:28 PM

Rowena: It's worth every penny in lack of stress and being near to the triangle (if that's where you live) My Mum and girlf's parents stayed at Fox Hill and had a great time. Plus it took all the stress off us.. you know what parents are like, up at the crack of dawn etc... It's very very parent friendly, this isn't some drafty annex on someone else's house, you're part of a family here, very warming and welcoming. I'd recommend it, and if in doubt, give Sue a call.
www.eyedropper.co.uk

#10 lschindler

lschindler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:52 PM

I disagree that it's too pricey. Not only is it comfortable, but you get such a large breakfast that you don't need to buy lunch! I don't know about all of England, but here in the states you pay $80 to $100 US dollars for a Motel 6! It's the basic, no frills drive in motel anywhere in the states. You pay a whole lot more if you are in say New York or L A, like triple that price for nothing special.
Fox Hill is interesting and comfortable. It's more like an experience than just a place to sleep and it's in London:) Plus it's close to the train into central London which makes it convienent as well.

P.S Sue, that doesn't mean you should raise your prices:) LOL

Edited by weeble, 13 October 2005 - 11:26 PM.

#11 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:39 AM

The free B&B guide that came a week or so in The Guardian recommended this place - good to see!
opposed to taking terrapins.

#12 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 07:12 PM

My elderly parents-in-law stayed here in June when we had a family party. They loved it - were made to feel very special and were extremely well looked after. So a recommendation from us, too, despite it being a little pricey for a B & B. Brilliant to have somewhere so comfortable, welcoming and friendly locally.
R

PS My father-in-law was very impressed with the breakfast :-)

#13 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 11:54 AM

Anyone stayed here, or know someone who stayed here, recently? We are looking for somewhere decent for friends to stay in. Grateful for any views.

SL

#14 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:22 AM

Hi SL,

We have had friends staying there recently. They reported back that they had a very comfortable stay overall. It wasn't completely plain-sailing though as our friends who had driven a very long way were not able to get into the b&b until after 11pm at night as the owners decided to go out for dinner. The owner was quite particular as to what time our guests were planning to arrive (difficult to predict when it involves a 12 hour drive). Also, they only had one key and so our two groups of guests staying there had to co-ordinate leaving our party at the same time in order to get back in.

Having said that, our friends did say that the rooms were very comfortable and the breakfast very good. They also enjoyed being shown the chickens too. Obviously, it's main selling point is the fact it's the only decent place to stay in the area, so in that sense they have the market cornered. It's on a lovely street of course so guests leave with a favourable impression of Crystal Palace! If you don't mind a slightly eccentric and expensive experience (£100 per room per night although £50 for single occupancy), then it's a good b&b. I know some people have commented that this isn't that expensive but in the context that earlier this year we stayed at Hotel du Vin for £100 per night, I would argue that for a b&b it is a bit on the steep side. Also, at Hotel du Vin, there's someone to welcome you and take your bags after a 12 hour drive ;).
Mel, Forum Moderator

#15 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:31 AM

Hi SL,

We have had friends staying there recently. They reported back that they had a very comfortable stay overall. It wasn't completely plain-sailing though as our friends who had driven a very long way were not able to get into the b&b until after 11pm at night as the owners decided to go out for dinner. The owner was quite particular as to what time our guests were planning to arrive (difficult to predict when it involves a 12 hour drive). Also, they only had one key and so our two groups of guests staying there had to co-ordinate leaving our party at the same time in order to get back in.

Having said that, our friends did say that the rooms were very comfortable and the breakfast very good. They also enjoyed being shown the chickens too. Obviously, it's main selling point is the fact it's the only decent place to stay in the area, so in that sense they have the market cornered. It's on a lovely street of course so guests leave with a favourable impression of Crystal Palace! If you don't mind a slightly eccentric and expensive experience (£100 per room per night although £50 for single occupancy), then it's a good b&b. I know some people have commented that this isn't that expensive but in the context that earlier this year we stayed at Hotel du Vin for £100 per night, I would argue that for a b&b it is a bit on the steep side. Also, at Hotel du Vin, there's someone to welcome you and take your bags after a 12 hour drive ;).

Thanks Mel :)