Photo

Mangosteen

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Café Restaurant? (29 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Café Restaurant?

1. Excellent (18 votes [62.07%])

Percentage of vote: 62.07%

2. Good (8 votes [27.59%])

Percentage of vote: 27.59%

3. Average (3 votes [10.34%])

Percentage of vote: 10.34%

4. Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 01:57 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Café Restaurant

Mangosteen
246 Gipsy Road, SE27 9RB

Open Monday to Saturday 12pm-3pm and 6pm-11pm

Web: tba
Email: tba
Phone: 0871 811 1436

Thai, Vietnamese Café Restaurant

#2 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:12 PM

At last Mangosteen makes it onto the site. Thanks James

I really like this place. The two girls who run it are really friendly and welcoming and the food , whilst not spectacular , is tasty and good value. Simple "asian fusion" menu done well. The Sea Bream with cripsy leeks and pak choi is a favorite of mine. Oevrall clean , bright and airy with good service and a nice atmosphere. Good place for a saturday lunch or a quiet evening meal.

I know its a bit of a trek down the hill from the triangle but compared to its nearest equivalent (like Mumu) it's way ahead( and the 322 goes back up th Hill if you can't face the walk)

#3 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:47 PM

I've just been in there enjoying the Saturday lunch. I think the opening hours above may be incorrect - I was told today that it's 12-3, 6-11pm in the evening all days except Sunday.

Edited by elleme, 08 October 2005 - 01:50 PM.

#4 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 01:59 PM

We're out of date already? I took the hours down from what they had displayed in their window, about 6 weeks ago! Thank you for letting me know, I have updated the main listing.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#5 Guest_Rowena_*

Guest_Rowena_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2005 - 03:25 PM

Brilliant restaurant. The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful, and the food was very well regarded by the veggies, the vegan and the meat eaters in my party!

#6 felix

felix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 01:40 AM

Awesome food and fantastic staff/owners

#7 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:18 AM

Great service, good food and very nice cocktails! Would definitely recommend a visit.

#8 norwoodguy

norwoodguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

Smashing restaurant. Love the food, the people are great and seem to know most people who come in by name.

Highly recommend it - especially the Thai Green Curry. :rolleyes:

#9 hellnick

hellnick

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 05:08 AM

Tried Mangosteen for the first time the other night and was very impressed. The menu is original, the cooking is excellent and it's a very nice space, much nicer than you would think looking in from outside. The service was excellent - friendly, caring and discrete.

Highly recommended, we're going back there soon.

#10 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 30 May 2007 - 11:08 AM

Nice food, I really rate it. The flavours are oriental, but the presentation and structure is more fusion / modern european - for ex., meat dishes are often grilled and served whole, rather than sliced and stir-fried; there's a wider variety of carbs than the usual rice-or-noodles (sweet potato mash, mmm!), but served as part of the dish rather than as an optional side. It's fusion for sure, but without the pretentiousness.

Mrs. WH was a bit less impressed, but she's a bit more of a traditionalist when it comes to Eastern food. We'll doubtless be returning at some point though!

#11 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 08:49 AM

Me and a pal went to this place during the week, the sun was out and shining down on their outside tables so we sat there - the food was brilliant i can't fault it... Ive been trying to find an alternative to Tamnag for a while now and i think ive found it. Great mixture of dishes to suit most peoples palettes so please go down to try it. They are most accommodating to their customers.... BRILLIANT!
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#12 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 10:15 AM

Mangosteen had a reasonably good review in Time Out this week. You know - a kind of 'it's not bad for this part of London' type of thing...
Rachel
My link

#13 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 12:56 PM

Here is the review.....

http://www.timeout.c...iews/10439.html

At least they didn't call the area 'trashy' and 'not somewhere you would leave your car' as they did a few years ago when reviewing the same restaurant. It must be on the up ;)
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#14 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:15 AM

Actually I think that was the review that in the Time Out Restaurant guide. There was another review in the Time Out Magazine - not quite as nice as that one.
Rachel
My link

#15 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:32 AM

Lovely chciken pad thai in Mangosteen last night - mid-week it's 2 courses for £10 - excellent value and a geat little restaurant with such lovely service