Photo

Alchemy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (10 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Good (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. Average (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Poor (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:02 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Alchemy

244 Gipsy Road, SE27 9RB

Open Monday to Friday 11am-3pm and 6pm-11pm
Open Saturday 11am-11pm
Open Sunday 11am-10.30pm

Web: www.artisanbars.co.uk
Email: james@alchemybarandrestaurant.com
Phone: 0871 223 7826

Mediterranean

#2 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 02:47 PM

I am glad you put Alchemy on here, James

I have had a couple of extremely nice lunches in Alchemy, plus a good dinner. The service is very polite and friendly, and there is a nice atmosphere. However the prices are rather on the West End side of things, and I didn't think the portions were very generous.

Not very much choice for vegetarians, alas, either. But I would still recommend Alchemy.
Rachel
My link

#3 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:03 PM

I also like it (although my wife does not). I have eaten there in the evening twice and enjoyed both meals . The Sunday Roast is also good although service can be very slow.

Minuses were the fact that some main courses (like the chicken and leek pie) arrive without veg without any indication that that was the case. Prices are also a bit steep although compare well with the even more pricey and stuffy "Still Luigis" two doors along. That said I think it gets away with it because it also attracts the more well healed Dulwich diner.

Overall an interesting menu that stands out from the rest of the local competetion up on the triangle

#4 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:20 PM

by way of this site and a dislike of the service at a restaurant nearby i found myself remembering Alchemy and a decent review... so my lady and i walked in off the street last sunday...there was a couple reading papers in the window that always means good in my book. Two hours or so later and considerably poorer we left wondering why we had never tried it before... so wonderful, so creative!
were we just lucky ??? we will soon find out !!!

thank you Alchemy

#5 BuzzBee

BuzzBee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:23 PM

Hmm - interested to read your positive comments as we went there a couple of months ago and weren't that impressed.

The staff were lovely, service great and the wine really good so wanted to like it but the food was not particularly well cooked and very average. When the prices are slightly higher than most of the places in the area we expected something relatively better but really didn't get it. Also is annoying when, as has been said you don't get any veg/salad with your food.

I just think that for the price I've eaten at far better restaurants both locally and in town and won't be hurrying back!

#6 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:30 PM

buz, as i noted we might have been lucky... restaurants get two chances at best and if they gub up the first i may return... or i might not... at these prices after the first visit i am willing to (no thats not fair i am quite enthusiastic) to try again... moving against one topic i will try the valentines menu... if a place is going to go wrong it will be then... but if ma burgoyne says its *** you will hear !

#7 BuzzBee

BuzzBee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

Yeah, I guess everywhere deserves a second chance and often you can be pleasantly surprised if you return. Its just that there are too many great places to eat out in/near CP (the magnificant Numidie for one) to lure me back!

Will be interesting to see how the Valentines menu turns out - keep us informed Phill!

#8 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 04:52 PM

buz ,

i love numandie , although i dont go there enough because tamnaq thai is too much of a pull for me... last time i was in numandie i ate in the little tree house and it was excellent. i will let you know how alchemy goes... if its good a second time i will sponsor a meal between us which will obviously be third time unlucky !
good steer Le Chardon in east dulwich grove if florence is working... they have messed up seriously but they have also come back in great style!!

#9 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 05:02 PM

Moderator's Note
Please can you post comments about other restaurants on the relevant topic. Or for general discussion please start a new topic in the Entertainment and Activities section. This helps to keep things organised. Thank you.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#10 Lilian

Lilian

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 04:44 PM

I'd highly recommend the smokies they do in Alchemy. Very nice indeed!

#11 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:58 PM

interesting evening last night in alchemy...despite the fact that it was two sittings and packed we were served good food at a relaxed pace... the fixed menu was a little limiting in comparison to the usual but we found out way around it ok...
old ma burgoyne gave it an 8 and i gave it a 9 'cause you are never going to get perfection on valentines day. net result alchemy stays high in my good books and i look forward to another visit... although i may have to save for a while, but i knew what i was getting into. of course if you were either of the couples to my right ... we know what i mean ???

#12 Beefy

Beefy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 03:54 PM

We too were in Alchemy on Valentine's. Very enjoyable evening and excellent food. Where most other restaurants seemed to be upping their prices for the night, Alchemy I thought offered excellent value at their usual price. Wish we had been earlier to witness whatever Philip B is alluding to though. Sounds interesting...

Also a note to anyone who finds Alchemy out of their budget range. I got an email from them last week announcing a new Early Bird Menu. Monday to Friday arrive before 7.30pm and you get 2 courses for £12, 3 for £16. :)

#13 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:11 PM

Also a note to anyone who finds Alchemy out of their budget range. I got an email from them last week announcing a new Early Bird Menu. Monday to Friday arrive before 7.30pm and you get 2 courses for £12, 3 for £16. :)

Thanks Beefy, just the news I was waiting for before making the long walk over the hill!

I can feel a meal coming on next Friday night ;)

Nice that they email you though. I get regular updates from Cafe ABC, and funnily enough, a Christmas card every year from an indian takeaway in Hayes that I went to only once!!! :blink:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#14 Beefy

Beefy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 04:32 PM

No worries Elmo, happy to help. Sure you'll enjoy your visit!

Just checked out their website, and you can add your email to get their updates. www.alchemybarandrestaurant.com

All this talk of Alchemy. Might have to pay another visit this weekend. I'm dreaming of their steak...

#15 Sals

Sals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:46 PM

Our favourite place by miles! Food at Alchemy is so imaginative and creative - always find it really difficult to choose. Really friendly owner (James?) & staff too. Didn't know they now do an Early Bird Menu. Has anyone tried it? Shall be back before too long, one way or another! Their pies are to die for!! :) :lol: