Photo

Alchemy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (10 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Good (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. Average (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Poor (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote

#16 drummerboy

drummerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:28 AM

Simply excellent food. The haddock smokies and the rack of lamb are delectable. Excellent service time after time. I'd highly recommend going for breakfast too its even better than the Joannas breakfast

The just need to get their damp problem sorted. Its a bit cheeky but have a look whats hidden under the velvet curtain on the wall on you'll see what I mean.

#17 Beefy

Beefy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 03:06 PM

In the spirit of passing information on, another email from Alchemy announces their 3rd Birthday this Saturday and that they are giving away a free glass of bubbly to all their customers from tonight (1st March) for the whole week.

Can't argue with that! See you there...

#18 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

another week passes and a fine friend asks me to nominate a venue for an overdue get together... on the basis he lives two minutes walk from said establishment it gets my vote... now young paul likes his oriental and is a great fan of mangosteen...but he goes with it and was blown away with the smokies (which have been recommended on here) my pastille was quite magnificent
and everything was as good if not better than usual... or did it taste better cause paul was paying ? no i would not begrudge alchemy one penny... find an excuse, a real occasion to celebrate and give it a try.. the only bad thing is its uphill to the golden triangle on the way home.

#19 Sals

Sals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:48 PM

We had lunch at Alchemy again on Saturday. SO delicious and pretty reasonably priced too. Had a perfectly cooked chicken breast with chorizo & aioli (I can still taste it 2 days later when I think about it!) and my partner loved his quail & foie gras. Were going for their Early Bird menu but didn't realise it was only Monday to Friday. Will just have to go back again - what a pity!! :)

#20 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 03:15 PM

sals..
i had that chicken dish last week
*** marvellous i agree

#21 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:41 PM

very last minute i ended up here tonight...not even my idea...still good... menu changes next week but a steer...excellent starter mackerel squid chorizo sun dried tomato and feta...to die for

#22 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:34 AM

another alchemy event... and finally i have managed to get from epsom to home and then alchemy in time to try the early bird menu !!!
disaster... there is the early bird menu but its missing my some of my favourites
so i ended up on the ordinary menu anyway. the other half grazed on the cheap stuff and it was a great meal and cheaper than usual.
FREE APERATIFS AT THE MOMENT

#23 Sals

Sals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:47 PM

I had my 30th in Alchemy's private Downstairs bar last weekend, which was BRILLIANT. You wouldn't guess it was there - my friends were extremely impressed walking into a candle-lit room with red satin-padded walls and stained glass. Very decadent and impressive. The chef made us delicious canapes and the service was as friendly as ever. A friend of mine DJ'd and we danced the night away. Thank you James and everyone at Alchemy for a great birthday. :D

#24 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:39 AM

Been here a few times and always had really good, friendly service and excellent food. Popped in the other night on the way home from Gipsy Hill and had the excellent chilled beetroot soup, and the pan-fried fillet of cod, samphire, new potatoes & brown shrimp butter (I got that from the website - my memory's not that good!), which really was fantastic. We ate at Beauberry House the other week, and I'd say that it's not a patch on Alchemy in terms of food, service or value for money.

#25 SaufEastLondon

SaufEastLondon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:28 PM

I have been there to eat three times and I must say that it decreases in value and quality everytime. The service was in your face or non-exsistant and the food was disapointing. The decor reminds me of the set on Hart to Hard, slightly nothing with a little 80s kitch.

I think that one web review gave it away when they said its location was in Dulwich Village.

#26 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

SaufEastLondon

interesting - is it Beauberry House rather than Alchemy which you're referring to?
opposed to taking terrapins.

#27 SaufEastLondon

SaufEastLondon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:46 PM

Sorry, Andreas,

It is Alchemy

#28 eyedropper

eyedropper

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 02:54 PM

SEL, Hart to Hart (I think that's what you're refering too) had ALOT of 80s kitch. Alchemy is if anything 90s gasto pub in decor. Old church chairs, dark woods, white walls.

Shame you've not enjoyed it.. I think with it and Joanna's bookending Gipsy Hill we're in a better position than other parts of South London.
www.eyedropper.co.uk

#29 SaufEastLondon

SaufEastLondon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

SEL, Hart to Hart (I think that's what you're refering too) had ALOT of 80s kitch. Alchemy is if anything 90s gasto pub in decor. Old church chairs, dark woods, white walls.

Shame you've not enjoyed it.. I think with it and Joanna's bookending Gipsy Hill we're in a better position than other parts of South London.

I just wish its decor was like a proper gastro pub - i.e. The Eagle in Farrington or Franklin's on Lordship lane. Unfortunatly I had to return my fish that was almost cooked with nuclear power at Joanna's. I would pick Lordship Lane over Joanna's or Alchemy anyday. I also think that CP could learn a lot from other areas of South London in relation to quality and style. I have been in Joanna's twice and although I like the decor I felt that it was overpriced, menu offered too much and that I was surrounded by WAGS and footballers.

#30 edgar

edgar

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 09:07 PM

I'm in agreement with SaufEast London. I recently visited Alchemy for the first time and found it an experience where the parts were more than the sum total.

My first course (Lambs' Kidneys), I really enjoyed, the second (Gnocchi with broadbeans) lacked depth, and the third (Roasted figs and lavender cream) let down by an over-sweetened cream and packet (I'm convinced) shortbread fingers. I was not that excited either by the wine list, (I was drinking white) but I think that had also to do with the heavy and cumbersome glassware and not just the wines. I'm always disappointed when a restaurant that seems to care about its product (and I do believe Alchemy cares) doesn't accord more attention to the details (such as glass, table linen, breadbaskets, space between tables etc) that can make a visit really memorable. And I'm not talking about a De Luxe everything, just a little more attention to the quality of the overall experience.

I will go back to Alchemy sometime. With just a bit more overall care, it could be so good.

I didn't need to go to the toilet, so don't know if they provided hot water (one of my top pet hates)! Let's say they did :) and I'll stop moaning.