Photo

Alchemy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (16 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (10 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. Good (3 votes [18.75%])

Percentage of vote: 18.75%

3. Average (2 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

4. Poor (1 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote

#31 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:46 AM

It's interesting that you thought the food lacked depth Edgar, as this was how I felt about it too. The dishes sounded and looked like they would taste amazing, but actually were a little bland. I'd like to go again and give it another go though as other people rave about the place.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#32 eyedropper

eyedropper

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 11:33 AM

I would pick Lordship Lane over Joanna's or Alchemy anyday....I have been in Joanna's twice and although I like the decor I felt that it was overpriced, menu offered too much and that I was surrounded by WAGS and footballers.

What and Lordship lane/Dulwich isn't full of WAGs, sloanes, and air kissers?! Blimey, it must have gone right down hill since I was last there then!

Edited by eyedropper, 31 August 2006 - 11:45 AM.

www.eyedropper.co.uk

#33 SaufEastLondon

SaufEastLondon

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 03:19 PM

What and Lordship lane/Dulwich isn't full of WAGs, sloanes, and air kissers?! Blimey, it must have gone right down hill since I was last there then!

Not when I go there. The odd Sloane does no harm though. Usually a sign that there are decent eating places nearby. Is one legally allowed to have signs in restaurants saying no WAGs? Might be an idea ;)

#34 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 07:07 AM

last night we chose alchemy...have not been out much...
it was no good...slow service, food was all wrong, not the wrong food but not cooked right or delivered too slow and the sauce had gone past its prime...
i dont know... but it wont happen again...really disappointed that a place i recommended on here could turn so badly wrong...

i know i have said places can always get it wrong and should be given a second chance but i think it has been given on this occasion.

i suppose i should note that there was no james in the house but still if it were my place i would be sure it was in better hands

#35 miss_g

miss_g

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:54 AM

well we went last thursday and it was fantastic...
i had the smokie to start and then the scallops, the steaks were also great according to the other halfs...
i give it the thumbs up for sure :P

#36 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 07:02 PM

in fairness to alchemy and to big up this forum...

james e mailed me this evening to ask for my thoughts after the post and i said i was trying to be fair as i big up the place normally

reply to follow

but at least he follows vn

#37 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:08 AM

Went to Alchemy again last night and didn't disappoint at all. Pork, sage, & black pudding patties with peppercorn sauce to start, followed by confit of duck with lentils, blue cheese and pear. Before 7.30, it's "early bird", which we just made - 2 courses for £12.

I know feedback on here has been varied but this is the 4th time we've been here in about 6 months and not once has it let us down. Inventive and tasty food at, I think, a very good price. You get a free aperatif at the moment too!

#38 rommany_rich

rommany_rich

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:26 PM

We went to alchemy last night, after a very long break. Having raved about the place at the beginning, I think the food went a bit awry. Nothing dreadful, just dishes not quite as good as they should be. Chef changed ?

I'm pleased to say that it was back to being fantastic. The food was amazing. It's a shame that some of my favourite ever waiting staff have moved on, but that's the nature of the beast, I suppose.

I don't think I can be the only one that's noticed, as the place was more full than I've seen it for a long time.

Welcome back, Alchemy.

Rich

#39 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:55 PM

an e mail from james clarke in my in tray... alchemy closes its doors sunday 25th of march...

#40 Sals

Sals

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 11:47 PM

That's very sad news. We loved Alchemy. It was a real gem of a restaurant that always had interesting, delicious menus and welcoming service.

I hope they are planning another venture nearby.

#41 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 03:12 PM

Gosh, that's a surprise. Does anyone know why?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#42 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:11 AM

A real shame I think - the combination of Alchemy, Mangosteen, Still Luigi's and the Mansion made this a great little spot for eating out (without having to trek up the hill!) and I always found Alchemy's food and service to be really reliable. Hope somebody takes it over or opens up in its place

#43 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:11 PM

Just noticed a sign outside Alchemy that says a new restaurant will be opening soon. Whilst I am sad that Alchemy has closed I am glad that the site won't remain empty for too long. Let's just hope it is a restaurant of equal quality. Or a decent place to get a breakfast and a coffee maybe?
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#44 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 02:46 PM

Agreed, Bosie...a decent cafe/restaurant open during the day would be very welcome.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#45 geronimo

geronimo

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:51 PM

Poster in the window says the Indian Dining Club will be opening in 5 weeks. Would have thought we had enough indian restaurants around so hopefully it will be something a bit different to the usual - I won't hold my breath though ;-)