• This topic is locked This topic is locked
124 replies to this topic

#31 titans21

titans21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 09:09 PM

Long time reader, first time poster. Must add to the chorus of 'we love Jeff' (purely platonic of course) he's been here twice to our little flat in Colby Rd. He's been both flexible with the hours he comes around, both after work and at the weekend, was reasonable, helpful and good value. The second job was so easy he didn't charge!

It does take a couple of days to get in touch with him...but I'm guessing he's busy for a reason!

#32 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:33 AM

I am looking to ahve the electricity box removed from where it is. I ahev called my supplier and they gave me a number that (of course) is ringing ringing ringing ringing ringing ... with no answer and no answer machine.

Does anyone know more about this issue of who can/cannot remove the box?

Cheers

LSPE
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#33 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

The electricity supplier looks after the meter. Your electrician can move the fuseboard but the main cartridge fuse that comes between the street and your property is sealed by the electricity company. If you need to move both then you'll need to speak to someone at the supply company. If you are just moving the fuseboard then the electrician puts the new board in first and then when ready they have a priority appointment with the supply company to move things over and reseal the main fuse although in some properties this may not be necessary.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#34 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 01:01 PM

I spoke to the electricity suppliers very helpful ... not .... they gave me a number that rings rings and none answr - though in the last 30 minutes has been constantly engaged. They have also mentioned a 8 weeks waiting list ... that ... cannot happen!!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#35 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:35 AM

Jeff is a star, he has co-ordinated the work with the supplier of the energy and this has been treated as "pirmary/urgent" plus the supplier suggested that despite the meter is in the property the cable/something/switch (don't ask! they have gone all technical on me) is outside the property and therefore the electrician can move the box.
He is now doing the job adn replacing the fuse box (I think an original feature of the property) on Monday at a VERY REASONABLE price!!!

Thanks for those who recommended him!

L
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#36 Darren

Darren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:53 AM

LSPE,

I am glad to hear that you have got it sorted. I own an Electrical Contracting Company although we only do Retail and Office fit outs, not Domestic, but if you have found an electrical contractor that you are happy with, then I would stick with them even if they are really busy.

All I would suggest that any contractor is a member of the NICEIC which is the Inspection Council for Electrical Contractors and that they have Public Liabilty Insurance. You may pay a little more, but if anyhting goes wrong at least you have a comeback with the insurance company or the NICEIC to report to.

Like Gas, Electricity can kill, hence Corgi and Part P building reg's, so saving a penny could cost you a life.

Steve as many people have mentioned seems ok (I do not know him) and recommendations are the best advertisement in any industry. Although we do not undertake Domestic work, I will also help and give any members advice on contractors or work if i can.

If you go to the following website www.niceic.org.uk, then you can search for local electrical contractors and obtain advice.

Sorry, Just noticed that you had your work done by Jeff not Steve. I saw Steve's name earlier in the topic. It is a sunday morning in my defence.

Apologies for not paying attention. :huh:

#37 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 11:00 PM

I'd also like to endorse Jeff.

He sent a couple of his sparks round to my place to do some work and they worked like trojans to get the job done at a very reasonable cost

Highly recommended.

#38 aem

aem

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 04:24 PM

Here's my debut post adding to Jeff's countless recommendations!

He booked me in for a Saturday morning at short notice, doing the job efficiently, tidily and at reasonable cost.

I'd definitely call in his services again.

#39 joleapman

joleapman

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 11:50 PM

I just wanted to say that Jeff did a fantastic job with my light fitting the other day (JJ Electrics 07904954293).

I found his number on here after months of muttering about getting a new light fitting. we stupidly bought a really complicated one from Ikea and although, it was a nightmare for him to put up, he did a really great job. He's a really great bloke and didn't laugh too much when I also asked him to fix the bathroom light (it.. er.. as it turned out, needed a new bulb!).

and it was all extremely well priced too.

only trouble is, the new lights have illuminated the fact that the ceiling needs replastering so i may at some point be looking for a plasterer!

but cheers virtual norwood for helping us out with an electrician.

#40 trixie

trixie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:38 PM

Can definitely recommend Jeff. Really nice bloke, does a good job and doesn't rip you off.

#41 Partisan

Partisan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:57 PM

I have tried calling Jeff his in box on his mobile is too packed to take any more messages.

Does anyone have the phone number of another electrician the work I need doing is re-wiring a flat.

Could anyone who can help either PM me or post on thread

Thanks

#42 360 Degrees

360 Degrees

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 09:23 PM

Hello VN

We can provide free no obligation Quotations for any type of Electrical Work required. Our Electricians are fully qualified, very efficient and file all the neccessary paperwork with the Local Council when required.

We have recently provided several VNers with Electrical Services including complete re-wiring of properties, changing / moving consumer units (fuseboard), new / additional sockets and switches, all interior and exterior lighting, PAT testing, Bathroom and Kitchen Electrics etc.

As we provide a complete Property Maintenance Service we are able to supply our Electricians to fit in with your other trades / builders, or we can provide a Project Management Facility to organise your refurbishments from start to finish.

Our website has a full listing of all our Property Maintenance and Lifestyle Management portfolio, or you can call for more information.

360 Degrees
(t) 020 8249 3535
(m) 07813 663 135
(w) www.360degreesonline.co.uk
Julie Laughton - 360 Degrees - Improving Every Angle of Your Life. Property Maintenance Solutions, Lifestyle Management Services and Project Management for your Home Improvement Projects. Visit My Website Email for Info

#43 klaushofer

klaushofer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:13 AM

Can anyone recommend a good electrician?

I need someone to give a reliable assessment of the state of my electrics, which may be hazardous. I've tried Jeff, recommended on this site in 2005, but he didn't turn up for the appointment. Subsequently I couldn't get hold of him by phone, so have decided I'd be better trying someone less busy.

Surely there must be other electricians in the area?

Thanks,

Alex

#44 anerleymatt

anerleymatt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:57 AM

Hi,

I recommend Jeff the electrician on 0790 495 4293. He is excellent.

Jeff installed my oven, hob and two light fittings in February this year. He was great, is is a highly professional, experienced electrician.
All recommendations of him on this site are exactly right. The work was done in a timely and tidy manner.

He is a sound guy, friendly and explained what the work involved and how much it cost (which was very reasonable).

I will be using Jeff again in the future when I need anything else done.

Matt
Elmers End Road

#45 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

If you haven't managed to contact anyone, we have recently used AP Electrical, tel. 07881 624637 or philboon@hotmail.co.uk. They're based in Carshalton but do work around here. I can't tell if they are cheap as they were subcontracted by our builders, but they have done an efficient job.
aka Pie