• This topic is locked This topic is locked
124 replies to this topic

#46 gabe

gabe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 09:18 AM

Twice now I have arranged an appointment with Jeff and he hasn't turned up. Has anyone else experienced this?

#47 Bored in Purley

Bored in Purley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 09:55 AM

Not sure about Jeff / JJH Electrics not responding in above post, but one reason he might not respond to people is that I have his old Telewest / Virgin telephone number (shown on other not so helpful websites beginning with 020 8405) - he must have switched to BT about 18 months ago (!) and for the record his numbers should now be: 020 8653 0299 or 07904 954293.

In the interests of fairness I had some electrical work done by Neil Patterson (020 8654 3562) last year and can highly recommend him. With a telephone number like that I think he is based in the North Croydon area and could cover places in Norwood. He was helpful and efficient plus a little geeky which is probably how you would want your electrician! Hope this helps

#48 sunray

sunray

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 12:11 AM

Ok, my patience are fraziled....All I want is a decent electrician and plumber to install a electric shower in a former airing cupbard and move the toilet......Plus maybe install new bath and basin....Quotes are really varying greating from £7k to £3.5k.

I am just going for a regular bathroom which is part tied....And area away from the shower is lino - can someone advise me on costs....I am female dealing with contractors alone and quite a few have tried to rip me off on cost and add things on. One electrician tried to bully me into having re-wiring done unnecessarily. On my 8th quote now and fed up.

Can anyone give me a guide price.

#49 Silke

Silke

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:42 PM

Neil did some work in our flat today and he was very good indeed and very resonable, too. I can thoroughly recommend him.
We had used Jeff before but he was impossible to get hold off / wouldn't return calls.
www.themassagepractice.co.uk

#50 MissLizzie

MissLizzie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 08:23 PM

Hello,

I have just had my whole house re-wired by a very nice chap called Phil. He is Bromley based so not too far and very reliable. Please PM if you want details.

#51 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:35 AM

I have sent a private message but have decided to share my guy with you all. He is great electrics, plumbing, tiling etc He is so lovely and works hard.
His name is Jordan and his number is 07882367581 He has re-wired and re-plumbed my place and I have no complaints. He is also very nice and in no way a rip off merchant.

#52 flash1969

flash1969

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 09:59 PM

Does anyone know if these recommended electricians are also good for putting up false ceilings with spotlights in them? Or do I need two different types of tradesmen?

#53 MissLizzie

MissLizzie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:44 AM

If you want it done quickly then I would have the electrician come and put the wiring in and then any builder can whack up some plasterboard and skim it far more efficiently than most sparks. My electrician Phil has done the wiring for me, but thought that the finish would be better by a builder (which shows he's not a rip off merchant!)

#54 guineagirl

guineagirl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 04:51 PM

Phil as recommended by MissLizzie replaced some broken light fittings and old switches for me, and some plug sockets. All very well done and very pleased I'm no longer staggering up the stairs in the dark any more!

Can happily pass on his details via PM to anyone who is interested (and he's coming back to finish a couple of things for me in a few weeks).

#55 Darren

Darren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:50 AM

I posted this reply in November last year and have since moved away although I still have my property in the area.

I own an Electrical Contracting Company although we only do Retail and Office fit outs, not Domestic, but if you have found an electrical contractor that you are happy with, then I would stick with them even if they are really busy.

All I would suggest is that any contractor is a member of the NICEIC which is the Inspection Council for Electrical Contractors and that they have Public Liabilty Insurance. You may pay a little more, but if anyhting goes wrong at least you have a comeback with the insurance company or the NICEIC to report to.

Like Gas, Electricity can kill, hence Corgi and Part P building reg's, so saving a penny could cost you a life. A lot of people still do not know that Part P is in existence but anyone carrying out work as an electrician must be Part P qualified as a minimum. If they do not meet this criteria then they are breaking the law and so are you. This is not applicable to changing a light fitting or switch with a replacement item.

If you go to the following website www.niceic.org.uk, then you can search for local electrical contractors and obtain advice.

#56 LottieL

LottieL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 08:44 AM

Can anyone recommend an electrician in the area who's happy to do small jobs? We have a few sockets that need moving/putting in

thanks!

#57 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:38 PM

I have just had some work done in the new house - and I have never been happier by the level of the service, the professionality, tidiniess, quotes etc etc you name it! Seriously happy!

The electrician's name is Donna from ATB Electrical.
Mob: 07801 269394
www.atb-electrical.co.uk

If you call her for a quote say the Italian guy in Beckenham gave you the number - she is undoubtly the best I have ever met!
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#58 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

I am having sparks fly out of my the sockets in the kitchen and will give Donna a call. Scary!

#59 Mister H

Mister H

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 09:41 AM

Another vote for Jeff (Thanks to all fellow VN’ers).

Did a great job at very short notice of fitting a new illuminated bathroom mirror, replacing a faulty light transformer and rewiring a triple socket switch.

Arrived on time and cleaned up any mess. Highly recommended

#60 eagle

eagle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 04:26 PM

Another recommendation for Yordan (previously Jordan on here) 078 8236 7581. Fitted some outside lighting for us and did a very competent, tidy and consciousness job. Was on time, worked hard and stayed til after dark to finish job - and all on only one cup of tea and a few biscuits! His choice!! And a very pleasant person with it.