• This topic is locked This topic is locked
87 replies to this topic

#1 BenMc

BenMc

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:36 AM

We have a communal garden to our flat on Beulah Hill and we're tired of paying money to a middle man gardeining and maintenance agency who do practically nothing apart from mow the lawn once a fortnight. As our building is shared we don't really want to go down the avenus of doing it ourselves.

We'd love to find somebody local who took a pride in gardening and wan't averse to spending a few hours a week/fortninght improving the garden and driveway -

Also looking for someone who does picket/ shiplap fencing...

Does anybody have any suggestions?

#2 Stevey

Stevey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 11:40 AM

Can anyone recommend a reliable Gardener?

#3 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 10:14 AM

My neighbour is a garden designer, but does a lot of garden maintenance work too. She is hoping to escape London soon, but has lots of contacts/gardener friends which I could gleen off her if you like. However, it does depend how much you want to pay, I think. I suspect they may charge more than an unqualified general gardener.

Did you have a figure in mind?
Rachel
My link

#4 top o' the hill

top o' the hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 11:00 AM

I too am looking for a gardener. We just need someone to regularly mow our garden, trim the hedges and generally tidy up so any suggestions would be fully welcome!

#5 marion

marion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 October 2005 - 03:43 PM

I used a Lady recently called Jane at The Plot Gardening Company. She's very resonable and reliable. Her number is
07947 756914.

Marion

#6 Stevey

Stevey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Marion.
Jane did some gardening for me this weekend. She was great. Would thoroughly recommend her. I've got her email address if you want. its: theplot@blueyonder.co.uk.

#7 HillBilly

HillBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:59 PM

Jane from the Plot emailed me after I contacted her (saw reccommendations on this site). Haven't me t yet but alreday she seems professional and friendly.

#8 Stevey

Stevey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:38 PM

Jane at The Plot is very good and friendly. She did a one off job for me a couple of weeks ago and I'm now going to use her on a regular basis. She's local so I feel a bit more community minded about using her. Her email address is theplot@blueyonder.co.uk sorry can't help with the picket fencing!
Steve

#9 top o' the hill

top o' the hill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:37 PM

Jane at The Plot came over to quote me for a job on Saturday and I think we are going to go ahead and use her. Her quote was far more reasonable than any other I'd had and she seemed 100 times more conscientious. I will keep you posted on how she fares but it looks promising.

#10 HillBilly

HillBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 01:51 PM

She is lovely, we are going to use her too! She was also very chuffed to hear good reports on this forum, which have been added to since I met her on Thursday

#11 Joanne

Joanne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

Does anyone know of a good gardener? I don't need landscaping or anything fancy, just a hedge that has lost control and needs hacking back. I just don't have the tools (or the will) to do it myself.

#12 knodge41

knodge41

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 06:33 PM

Some time ago we found a good gardener by asking for a recommendation at Secret Garden, the Garden Centre next to the open-air car park at the ex-Morrison's site. I believe the Garden Centre in Croxted Road, at the Herne Hill end, also has a list of names and Tel. No's, but watch out for one of their blokes who turns up in a huge van, as though he's going to build you a house, quotes £20 an hour, and seems to know very little. Maybe he's OK for mega-heavy-duty jobs!

The going rate now seems to be about £15 an hour. For this you should expect a degree of expertise with plants, i.e. more than just an odd-job person

We were lucky to find a second person, additional to the main gardener, who just mows the lawn and trims the edges at £10 an hour.

Good luck

#13 Stevey

Stevey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 06:06 PM

Hi,
We use Jane at "The Plot". She's local, knows her stuff, is reliable and reasonbaly priced. We used her to do a one off visit and then kept her on to do weekly visits for us. Her number is 07947756914 and her email is jane@theplotgardeningcompany.co.uk.

#14 ally

ally

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 07:10 PM

Yep - Jane at the Plot is great. We used her at her old house and we were so impressed we're using her to help us with the garden at the new place.

#15 HillBilly

HillBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 09:54 AM

Jane is fantastic - she sometimes looks on here, so 'Hi Jane!'.

She is extremely hard working, considerate (mowing the lawn later in morning, for example) and really listens to what the client would like.