Football At The Palace

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 03:47 PM

Did he mean they were actually moving to the athletics stadium, or simply planning on throwing down a few jumpers and coats for goalposts in the park itself ?
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#17 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 04:35 PM

3 more ha'peths worth
- the impact of a fortnightly Palace match in the park is completely different from the odd event that happens in the athletics stadium. And yes, I have been to Palace regularly - and I dont want hoards of footy fans trampling round the local park. I say this as a footy supporter, just not a Palace fan (I've always been in the away end at Palace, and yes Mr Jordan, the toilets are dire!).

- I don't think there would be increased trade for the businesses that are really struggling in the triangle - people won't go clothes shopping etc, they will go to McDonalds, the pubs and the curry houses. And that would be only on a Saturday when they are full anyway. If anything, the increased traffic and general further deterioration of what is left of the "village" atmosphere would be the final nail in the coffin of the area.

- Theres a reason that house prices are lower near Selhurst Park than upper norwood. Not that house prices are the be-all and end-all and not to be a NIMBY, but this illustrates that more people don't want to live near football grounds than do, and for good reasons.

#18 Daffy

Daffy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:42 PM

Oh no, not this story again!!

I've been following Palace for 20 years and it seems like the rumour that we are moving to the athletics stadium re-surfaces every other season.

First used repeatedly by Ron Noades whenever Croydon council or local residents objected to any new stand construction. Now it seems Simon Jordan has decided to utilise this ' threat ' ( at least twice already ) in an attempt to convince Noades ( now Selhurst Park lease holder ) that he has another option if Noades doesn't sell him the leasehold.

Please, if anyone is worried, I have heard this story half a dozen times at the very least and we have never ever, EVER got even close to moving. It's an unvialble empty threat and if it ever happens I'll eat my woolly Palace hat !

#19 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:20 PM

Please don't be complacent about this. I know for a fact that it is more than just a threat and that Jordan is seriously considering it :ph34r:

#20 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:26 PM

I know for a fact that it is more than just a threat and that Jordan is seriously considering it :ph34r:

So spill the beans then... if you know something :unsure:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#21 duckec01

duckec01

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 04:47 PM

There aren't really any beans to spill as what I know only confirms what Jordan said in the Sunday papers, he is looking at it as a serious option, not as a bargaining tool for his battle with Noades.

Personally I don't think it will come to anything due to the barriers that would be likely to be placed in his way.